PDA

View Full Version : Reviews in progress: Comic graphic novels youre reading

MartialArtN00b
20th August 06, 11:20 PM
Mage: the hero defined by matt wagner

Okay, i bought this because my comic book guy said it was a must read. Usually his recommendations are alright. On the back of the cover, kevin smith said it was one the best comics. So i thought, ah sure why not?

Since im done with 'the walking dead' by kirkman for the moment, and which is a kick ass zombie serie about people salvaging their life in a zombie world. As well as being done with the new dc serie about conan the barbarian. Which kicks ass, like conan should.

That being said, this is about mage.

So i google it over the net, and it seems to have received rave reviews.

To that, i wonder. WTF? Im halfway through, and im bored to tears. The pencil sucks. Think an outline of a character drawn in a case with the most simplistic background decoration (and most of the time, the background is done away with). The coloring is horrible, but there wasnt much to do when theres nothing to color anyways. The character is colored, and the rest of the case is a shaded color.

Basic premise.

You got merlin, you got king arthur in a modern world. King arthur is cynical and doesnt want his role.

Thats it. I really am trying to think about more to say, but its just that there isnt much to say.

Please, for the old comic book buffs (and its an old story), whats so special about this serie?

Otherwise, add something that goes along with the theme of the thread title.

JimmyTheHutt
22nd August 06, 01:36 PM
To get Mage, you need to read the whole thing. Mage: The Hero Defined is the second part. Find Mage: The Hero Discovered to start the whole thing off.

The whole story is very allegorical. While there are some action sequences, its primarily character driven. Depending on how you like your characters, you may or may not get into it. Personally, I loved it.

If you are looking for something a bit more frenetic by Wagner, get Grendel: War Child. You don't need to know any of the backstory, because it pretty much lays out the whole thing for you.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Naszir
24th August 06, 03:33 AM
Kevin Matchstick doesn't make any sense without the Hero Discovered. You need to read that so you can understand basically the plot of Hero Defined. As far as the Wagner work goes, Trinity was fantastic, and I prefer the Hunter Rose stories to the War Child ones. Devil By The Deed and even Devil's Riddle (Batman/Grendel crossover) were very good.

JimmyTheHutt
24th August 06, 01:59 PM
Kevin Matchstick doesn't make any sense without the Hero Discovered. You need to read that so you can understand basically the plot of Hero Defined. As far as the Wagner work goes, Trinity was fantastic, and I prefer the Hunter Rose stories to the War Child ones. Devil By The Deed and even Devil's Riddle (Batman/Grendel crossover) were very good.

Well, everyone prefers the Hunter Rose stories. He was just a much better character. However, those early stories are definitely Wagner's examination of his inconoclastic nature and agression. While stuff happens, they are also very allegorical/metaphorical. If Mage: The Hero Defined is too slow for the reader, those are likely to be much worse. Although, Grendel: Cycles or Devil By The Dead serve as good introductions to the character.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt