PDA

View Full Version : Half-assed Review: Tekken Dark Ressurection (PSP)

Neildo
18th August 06, 02:31 PM
Half-assed because I'm lazy, and haven't actually Bought the game yet. I just played it all night. Also, i'm not writing multiple drafts, or editing very carefully. I'm really tired.

To start, I'll summarize this game in one word: Awesome.

Graphics: One of the prettiest games I've seen for PSP so far. Character textures, backgrounds, FMV's, everything. So pretty.

Gameplay: It's tekken. Nothing has changed. Punching a dude in the face has never been easier.

Sounds: Like Tekken. If you haven't played Tekken before...well, I don't know what to say. You've probably been playing Capcom versus SNK2 or something. Get with the times.

Replay value: I'll admit, fighting games lose appeal after you crush everyone a few times. Or get pwn3d by the last guy so many times, you just can't do it anymore. But if you have friends that like fighting games, a Tekken title is invaluable.

Multiplayer: Oh man, they nailed it. PSP Ad Hoc Multiplayer is as good as it gets. I haven't played the SF: Alpha or darkstalkers titles for PSP yet so I can't say if it does it better or worse than them, but it's pretty flawless. Loading time is minimal, and i didn't notice any lag during the fights. Perfect. No Infrastructure multiplayer though, so you need friends with PSP's. If you don't have any, well, I'm not surprised.

My first review ever. One draft, half-assed, as promised.

edit: Oh, i forgot. Buy/Rent? I'm buying it, but i'm a fighting game fan. If you're not a fan of the series, this might not be your cup-o-tea.

Neildo
1st September 06, 06:28 PM
38 views and no posts? You could have at least told me my review sucks or something. jerks.

Anyways, it appears this game got the best score out of any PSP game at gamespot.com.

A 9.3, beating out Burnout's 9.0

I don't think Liberty City Stories even got in the 9's, and I'd have to say it's one of the better games for the system. I beat it in 3 days and traded it in, but it's a good game.

Steve
1st September 06, 09:50 PM
Yay, great review.

I'd buy a DS before I'd buy a PSP.

DAYoung
2nd September 06, 06:15 AM
Er. I have no idea about games.

I just thought you needed some attention.

Neildo
2nd September 06, 10:42 AM

yay!!

EuropIan
12th September 06, 04:15 PM
do you have trouble doing EWGFs on the funky d-pad?

Neildo
12th September 06, 07:29 PM
EWGF's?

The analog nub works too. The d-pad is just for...d-pading? d-padness?

EuropIan
13th September 06, 02:28 AM
EWGF = Electric Wind God Fist

Notation: f,d,df+2 (forward, down, downforward+triangle)

it's slightly tricky to do because you have to press triangle and downforward at the same time. You can tell the diference between WGF and EWGF by the increased amount of electrical sprites around the characters fist. Also, kazuya says "Doryaa!" when he performs it.

I was asking about how the d-pad felt. Or, do you just pick christie montero and mash buttons?

Edit: screwed up notation WGF is of course "dragon punch motion" and triangle

Osiris
13th September 06, 06:23 AM
Someone needs to die for this not being on PS2.

EuropIan
13th September 06, 06:32 AM
*typical "me too"- type line, agreeing with Osiris*

I think it had something to do with the psp lacking a good fighter. Look forward to tekken for the ps3 it will most likely be T5:DR with bells and whistles attached

Neildo
13th September 06, 09:25 PM
EWGF = Electric Wind God Fist

Notation: f,d,df+1 (forward, down, downforward+square)

it's slightly tricky to do because you have to press square and downforward at the same time. You can tell the diference between WGF and EWGF by the increased amount of electrical sprites around the characters fist. Also, kazuya says "Doryaa!" when he performs it.

Oh. Yeah, I've done that, but by fluke.

I was asking about how the d-pad felt. Or, do you just pick christie montero and mash buttons?

The D-pad is very responsive, and diagonals aren't difficult to pull off. The little d-pad buttons are pretty close together. But i have beefy thumbs, might not work for someone with tiny digits. (actually, my big hands have made gaming with the psp somewhat difficult, depending on the type of gameplay. SOCOM made my wrists hurt.)

AAAhmed46
15th September 06, 08:19 PM
Someone needs to die for this not being on PS2.

YEAAAAH!

I agree.

Kayne
18th September 06, 08:54 PM
I'm holding my breath for this on PS2. My one faint glimmer of hope is that they ported Liberty City Stories, which I assume was because it was popular.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
18th September 06, 09:24 PM

www.lf2.net

Steve
18th September 06, 10:25 PM
I'm holding my breath for this on PS2. My one faint glimmer of hope is that they ported Liberty City Stories, which I assume was because it was popular.

I heard LCS kinda sucked, actually.

I guess it turns out they didn't update the graphics so it looks like the PSP's enlarged, also the story is not nearly as an engrossing as the PS2's GTA games...

But with all the GTA fanatics out there it doesn't surprise me it was ported (and $20 isn't too bad).

Have you played it (I haven't). If so, is it any good in your opinion?

AAAhmed46
19th September 06, 12:13 AM
Could the upcoming wait for the PS3 and tekken 6 have something to do with it.

Neildo
19th September 06, 12:43 PM
Have you played it (I haven't). If so, is it any good in your opinion?

I bought it the day it came out, beat it in three days and traded it in to buy SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo.

I have it again, but haven't played it yet. (My 2gb memory stick is on order, i have the ISO on my usb drive. Devhook means I'm never buying a UMD again. ever.)

I can't remember if Tony can swim, but i don't think so. CJ from GTA:SA should be the model that....oh fuck it, all third person games should have controls as good as gta. CJ can do it all baby.