PDA

View Full Version : Review: Dead Rising (XB360)

Airman Kai
17th August 06, 09:24 PM
Survive in a mall full of zombies.

It's been done before, right? I mean, those movies were ok, weren't they? You know, the one where the hardened cop and the good looking young man (along with the obligitory multicultural cast) hold out against all odds in a mall full o' zombies.

This game is better. Why, you ask? Because Dead Rising isn't trying to be serious. It is fully aware that it is a video game, and because of that, it is ultimately more enjoyable.

STORY
AWFUL BAD OK GOOD AWESOME

This feels a bit tacked on, but it does serve it's purpose: to explain why you're even IN a zombie infested mall. I (of course) won't spoil it for you, but let's just put it this way: you may not see the next plot point coming from a mile away, but you also won't care. The story is definitely not the game's selling point.

GAMEPLAY

Here's where the game shines, and I'm glad it did, because with a concept like this, it had better play well. It has it's share of "wtf? how am I supposed to beat that guy?" moments, but you'll figure them all out. Dead Rising makes killing zombies fun again. Even though they're old school "I have a top speed of 2mph" type zombies, there are often times SO MANY zombies that you can't help but feel that you're fighting against losing odds, which (imo) is how you're supposed to feel in a mall filled with the undead.

Whether your bashing zombies in the head with a baseball bat, slicing them in half with a katana, blowing their brains out with a shotgun, shredding them with a lawnmower, cutting off limbs with a thrown sawblade, or disemboweling them with your bare hands (to name a few), everything feels just like it should, with just the right amount of blood (which is to say that there's a TON of blood).

The level building mechanic in the game serves as a good mechanic to keep gameplay fresh. As you complete certain tasks, you'll be rewarded with more life, a higher capacity to hold items/weapons, or extra moves to beat zombies to death. This makes things interesting, but often times you'll find yourself falling into a rythm of how to eradicate a room full of zombies, without even taking into account that sweet new move you just got.

SOUND/MUSIC

The sound of exploding zombie head is a sweet sound indeed. Slice, thud, whack, and boom, they all sound good, and the music is perfect: mall background tunes. When an encounter of any importance occurs, the music will shift appropriately, from rap, to scream rock, to weird downtempo tunes. Everything pretty much fits.

OVERALL

Steve
17th August 06, 11:37 PM
Out of curiousity, how long did it take for you to complete the game?

Does it have good replay value (sounds like it, who could pass up smashing zombies every couple days)?

Diggler McFeely
18th August 06, 12:00 AM
Such a violent game ... it's games such as this that cause real life violence to zombies everywhere. It's so bad that it's not even safe for a zombie to shuffle to the local slumber party anymore without risk of being bombarded by music CD shurikens.

The government really needs to step in and get control of the situation before it's too late.

DAYoung
18th August 06, 01:45 AM
Such a violent game ... it's games such as this that cause real life violence to zombies everywhere. It's so bad that it's not even safe for a zombie to shuffle to the local slumber party anymore without risk of being bombarded by music CD shurikens.

The government really needs to step in and get control of the situation before it's too late.

Sure. Because the Government are against zombies. Right.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/rumsfeld-index.frontpage_thumbnail.jpg

Steve
18th August 06, 02:00 AM

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/rumsfeld-index.frontpage_thumbnail.jpg

At least our president can spot them a mile away.

http://www.willthomas.net/images/Is_Bush_Nuts.jpg

DAYoung
18th August 06, 02:05 AM
Mother of God. That can't be right. It can't be.

And if it is...

Mother of God. He can't be President. It can't be.

Steve
18th August 06, 02:23 AM
Mother of God. That can't be right. It can't be.

And if it is...

Mother of God. He can't be President. It can't be.

Don't worry, our real president shot a friend of his in the face while hunting quail.

At least no one would dream of calling him an idiot to his face.

DAYoung
18th August 06, 02:43 AM
Don't worry, our real president shot a friend of his in the face while hunting quail.

At least no one would dream of calling him an idiot to his face.

Maybe he thought he was a poor black single mother - figured he'd get the job done quicker than waiting for her to work herself to death.

WarPhalange
18th August 06, 11:27 AM
Maybe he thought he was a poor black single mother - figured he'd get the job done quicker than waiting for her to work herself to death.

Don't you know anything? Poor black single mothers abuse the bloated welfare system. They are the entire reason Amrca has a $10 trillion debt. All of them do this, by the way. So it's not like she could have potentially been innocent. She was probably trying to take Dick's money while he wasn't looking.

ThaiBoxerShorts
18th August 06, 11:32 AM
I have not yet played Dead Rising, but it looks fucking awesome. Like the first-ever zombie game done right.

Part of what makes the zombie genre work (in any medium) is the familiarity of the environment: A shopping mall or other location that pretty much anyone can instantly indentify with. Resident Evil failed on that level, because how many people have ever set foot in a creepy old mansion (perhaps some) or top-secret underground research facility (very, very few)?

Airman Kai
18th August 06, 01:04 PM
I have not yet played Dead Rising, but it looks fucking awesome. Like the first-ever zombie game done right.

Part of what makes the zombie genre work (in any medium) is the familiarity of the environment: A shopping mall or other location that pretty much anyone can instantly indentify with. Resident Evil failed on that level, because how many people have ever set foot in a creepy old mansion (perhaps some) or top-secret underground research facility (very, very few)?

RE failed for more than that, I think. Dead Rising controls well, which is something RE never really did for me.

Concerning replay, there's plenty there, for me at least. I'm cutting zombies up RIGHT NOW, and it feels just as fun as the first zombie skull I bashed.

Neildo
18th August 06, 01:37 PM
Realistic Gore?

Appendage removal?

kungfujew
18th August 06, 01:41 PM
You guys have played Stubbs the Zombie, right? That's the godamn best game ever! I mean seriously... throwing your internal organs that explode, using your head as an exploding bowling ball, farting a cloud of gas to stagger your enemies, and throwing your hand at people's heads to control their brains. What more can you POSSIBLY ask? Not to mention a Patton-esque cut-scene where Stubbs the Zombie gives a rousing speach to his Zombie horde comprised entirely of: "Brains. Brains BRAINS braaains... brains brains BRAINS brains brains... BRAAAAIIINNNNS brains brains, brains Brains brainsBRAINS. Brains? Brains brains brains brains BRAAINNS!!!"

Neildo
18th August 06, 01:42 PM
First i've heard of it.

kungfujew
18th August 06, 01:44 PM
First i've heard of it.

Don't remember what platform it's for, played it a a friend's apartment. Seriously, go out and rent/buy it. The game is captivatingly hilarious. Plus, everyone you kill / bite to regain your life force turns into a zombie under your command, and even if they're missing limbs they'll still crawl around and bite peoples' ankles. Then, whoever your MINIONS kill becomes one of your minions too!

Shawarma
18th August 06, 02:40 PM
You want a GOOD game about blastin' zombies in a town taken over by forces of darkness? Get Survival Crisis Z. Indie game. Shit graphics. Tons of blood, guns, zombies and actual FUN gameplay. Get for 10$ from www.skasoftware.com, demo available. The best thing about the game is the NPC's who fight alongside you - although they're randomly generated and die in droves, they still have a lot of personality and you actually feel very, very, alone when one of them succumbs to Zombie Plague and tries to eat your braaaaainnnzzzz....

Neildo
18th August 06, 03:17 PM
Don't remember what platform it's for, played it a a friend's apartment.

Just looked it up on gamefaqs, It's a MAC/PC, XBOX title.

I'm planning to get a 360. Hopefully, this one will be backwards compatible.

Halfrican
18th August 06, 11:58 PM
I just downloaded the demo on my 360, I'll buy it tomorrow if it's awesome.

Airman Kai
19th August 06, 01:12 AM
Realistic Gore?

Appendage removal?

Not realistic at all, there's extra blood for everyone's enjoyment.

And appendage removal is SO FREAKIN' IN, BABY! the katana cuts 'em in half in real time. There's nothing like seeing a NEW cut every time you do it.

ThaiBoxerShorts
19th August 06, 05:30 PM
Okay, so I bought Dead Rising yesterday evening, partially because of this thread. So far, I'm a bit disappointed. Sure, slicing and dicing your way through huge crowds of zombies is fun, but it'll get old eventually, I suspect. And the occasional non-undead (evil human) enemies are just too fricking hard! They almost always have vastly superior firepower and a huge tactical advantage. What good is a butcher's knife against three psychotic convicts in a military vehicle with a 50-caliber machine gun?

I guess I'm just not a hardcore enough gamer. I like video gaming to be a fairly mindless activity that I can do while simultaniously listening to a taped lecture on string theory or something. I'm beginning to suspect this just isn't the right game for me.

DAYoung
19th August 06, 06:35 PM
Don't you know anything? Poor black single mothers abuse the bloated welfare system. They are the entire reason Amrca has a $10 trillion debt. All of them do this, by the way. So it's not like she could have potentially been innocent. She was probably trying to take Dick's money while he wasn't looking.

Poor Dick. He's what we call in Australia a 'battler (http://www.anu.edu.au/andc/res/aewords/aewords_ab.php#battler)'.

Neildo
19th August 06, 06:39 PM
uhhh...

That's a pretty broad definition. It goes from 'fighting against odds' to 'prostitute'.

Hm.

DAYoung
19th August 06, 06:43 PM
Sorry, back to the zombies.

Err. I don't own any gaming machines, and I don't have any games on my PC.

*slinks away from thread and unsubscribes*

Neildo
19th August 06, 06:44 PM
I bet solitaire is on there.

DAYoung
19th August 06, 06:48 PM
I bet solitaire is on there.

And Mineswee-

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Now you've gone and done it. I'm supposed to be unsubscribed...

Stick
20th August 06, 01:31 AM
I bought this yesterday after playing it at a friend's house for no more than an hour.

This game is fun!

A lot of games lately seem to get bogged down in complexities and thick story- which is not to say that I deplore such things in my video games, just that sometimes it gets in the way of actually playing a game.

This game is all gameplay, baby! There are so many odd little things to do and see- you can gain exp and level by taking pictures of zombies falling down stairs or that failed to put on pants. Alright, well, as a photojournalist, your character always has his camera and you get points for taking pictures of everything, but come on- EXTRA POINTS FOR ZOMBIE PANTIES!

Alright, actually I'm kind of ashamed of the fact that I just wrote that.

Ok, the gore is most impressive (dissembowlment, lethal 69), the arsenal is vast and imaginative (throw cooking oil and watch zombies slip and slide around hopelessly as you throw boomerangs at the hordes behind them), the tasks are a little humdrum (go here, beat him, save this person) but there's enough freshness in there to keep you on your toes, I'm digging the level system- actually I need to break off there and go into a little detail.

This game takes place over a 72 hour period- that's all you get to complete the game story. If you finish a new mode is unloaked, as I understand it. The interesting thing is this, as everything is running on a severe time constraint, should you miss a beat in the story you will lose all opportunity to finish the story, game over, you lose and must restart. But the thing is, you get to restart the game with your leveled p badass of a character; I have only failed to follow through on the story once and restarted with a level 7 character. While I can see how this might get a little tedious, I've found it really enjoyable, I know what I Have to d, and bosses that seemed insurmountable during my first go are much more manageable, however as I come to bosses I hadn't seen before I find I'm still getting challenged. It really is amazing how they seem to have balanced this out.

If nothing else, rent this game, if you enjoy zombie movies, hack and slash games, violence, exploitation, gore, photojournalism games, or any combination of those things I think you'll enjoy this game.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th August 06, 05:15 AM

Why are you such a jackass?

Look, here I was expecting a friendly topic talking about how fucking retarded Dead Rising is, and I find Resident Evil bashing! Look, RE4 rocked my socks, and I wasn't even wearing any.

Seriously, Dead Rising isn't good at what it tries to be. Like the fat kid in PE that would always try, but could never do anything right because we was too fat.

Stick
20th August 06, 05:20 AM
That fat kid has a great personality though.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th August 06, 05:31 AM
Thank you!

Stick
20th August 06, 05:37 AM
I basically disagree with not only everything you've said but everything you are.

Go to hell, Jesus.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th August 06, 05:45 AM
No, Satan is a dick. Do you know what he did at this party once? Do you? I'll tell you what he did.

Okay, so there I was at this party. Thomas Aquinas, Nikola Tesla, Harold the Saxon... uh... Barbarossa, that other dude who unified Germany... uhm.. well, I think you get it, there were a lot of cool people there. Anyway, we were just sort of chilling, you know, passing the controller and the blunt. But then Satan showed up. Satan is such an asshole. We were playing Mario, and he'd hog the controller and die a lot. He also ate most of the food. And if you asked him to get you a drink or something, he'd pull stupid bullshit pranks like shaking the soda or giving you a glass that's totally topped off, so you'd end up covered in beer and looking like an idiot. Satan is pretty much a loser. I'm not even sure how he knew there was a party, it's not like we ever tell him about these things.

Energiser
20th August 06, 10:32 AM
were you to choke on your own ass i doubt there would be a real mourning period.

I'm just sayin.

Olorin
20th August 06, 01:04 PM
And the occasional non-undead (evil human) enemies are just too fricking hard! They almost always have vastly superior firepower and a huge tactical advantage.

That evil clown will mess you up!

Airman Kai
23rd August 06, 04:10 PM
That evil clown will mess you up!

But the mini-chain-saws he drops are da BOMB!

Oh, and the extra mode Dai was discussing is extra sweet. It's actually an integral part of the story, one that is only rewarded to you if you solve all the cases.

Stick
25th August 06, 01:06 AM
I've been playing this for a damn good portion of this week and it just keeps getting better.

Airman Kai
25th August 06, 01:18 AM
I've been playing this for a damn good portion of this week and it just keeps getting better.

I beat it, did overtime mode, did infinity mode, and now I must send it back to gamefly, because Saint's Row is out in 6 days, and I don't wanna miss it.

It IS what I would call one of the better games for the XB360, barely missing AWESOME status in my opinion.

Neildo
23rd September 06, 08:22 PM
Okay, I played this for about 8 hours solid yesterday. I'm fucking hooked.

Got through the first 72 hours, started over at level 26.

The only thing that pisses me off: Survivor AI. God-DAMN some of those assholes are stupid. And slow. And....fuck, if the damn zombies didn't eat them i would have killed them myself.

Wading through wall-to-wall zombies with a chainsaw and a few shotguns is pretty entertaining though.

I just wish i had my own damn 360, and didn't have to play at my friends place.
However, if i did....I probably wouldn't get much sleep, and turn into a zombie myself.

Neildo
30th September 06, 10:00 PM
Spent all day at my friends place again, playing the game for about 10 hours.

Unlocked Overtime mode, lv. 41.

I've had my fix of zombie killing for another week.

DAYoung
15th October 06, 05:52 AM

So, after everyone went to such trouble over my rep, Traditional Tom neg-repped me for this post.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Neildo
15th October 06, 07:00 AM
Weird.

More zombie killing yesterday. Got to the boss "Brock'. What an asshole.

Haven't finished Overtime mode because of that guy. And fighting that tank is annoying.

I really like this game though.

Shawarma
15th October 06, 07:26 AM
So, after everyone went to such trouble over my rep, Traditional Tom neg-repped me for this post.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
....You got issues, dude.

DAYoung
15th October 06, 07:32 AM
I got issues?

Harumph.

Steve
25th October 06, 02:44 AM
I got issues.

DAYoung
25th October 06, 04:10 AM
Tried that wine yet?

Steve
25th October 06, 03:27 PM
Nope, I'm still saving it...

I'm thinking that I'll have it with my victory dinner once my building restoration project is finished. I'm looking forward to it!

BUT, right now I really am having issues with the awning install. Not a super big deal but stressful none the less.

Neildo
25th October 06, 03:54 PM
This thread is about zombie killing games. Take your banter elsewhere!

Steve
25th October 06, 09:37 PM
Sorry!

*slinks off to the 'banter' thread*