PDA

View Full Version : Review My New Video Card!

Olorin
7th August 06, 08:22 PM
Well I broke the cardinal rule of shopping I bought on impulse. Long story short my computer’s hard drive died a few weeks back and while I was in the store I asked about video cards as I have been wanting to add one.

So this is what I bought…

Nvidia GeForce FX 5500

-Memory: 256 DDR
-Core Clock: 270MHz
-Vertices/Sec: 67.5 million

General Info
-Up to 4 pixels per clock rendering engine
-Up to 16 textures per pass
-Digital Vibrance Control 3.0
-Microsoft DirectX 9.0 with Vertex Shader 2.0 and Pixel Shader 2.0
-NVIDIA CineFX Engine

I paid about 90 dollars for this and got free installation/drivers and all that.

So is this a good card for a good price or did Ol’ Olorin get screwed?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th August 06, 10:48 PM
Nvidia GeForce FX 5500

lol

Alex
8th August 06, 04:59 AM
um, you got them to install your card? what are you clinically retarded? my MUM can install cards into computers ffs and shes a woman, and old.

also that card sucks. 90 bucks is an expensive doorstop. im surprised you can even buy those relics anymore

Diggler McFeely
8th August 06, 09:19 AM
$90 for a low model 6000 series would have been a better deal. But, if that does what you want it to do, or more, then who gives a fuck what others think?

Olorin
8th August 06, 09:37 AM
um, you got them to install your card? what are you clinically retarded?

The computer was in for repair anyway. Why should I do it myself when he would do it for me?

$90 for a low model 6000 series would have been a better deal. But, if that does what you want it to do, or more, then who gives a fuck what others think?

Ya should have done my homework, live and learn. However the only video game I play is Civ IV so it works well with that, and that is all I really wanted it to do.

Halfrican
8th August 06, 06:55 PM
You should have bought dual Radeon X1900XTX Crossfires

Alex
9th August 06, 03:14 AM
how do fuckwrinkes like halfrican get such a high rep thing (also i think they should be reinstated on bullshido, i enjoyed reading the comments)

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th August 06, 03:31 AM
Notice how we only picked up like four new people? I imagine this place was a gigantic circle jerk before we fixed it.

Halfrican
9th August 06, 04:38 AM
Notice how we only picked up like four new people? I imagine this place was a gigantic circle jerk before we fixed it.

There was no "this place" before. Phrack completely annihilated our old boards, but only copied your boards to create this place. So we have no place else to go, you can go bitch at your own wannabe karate kid forum which still exists. So kiss my fucking ass, and enjoy my titanic reduction to your worthless rep.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th August 06, 04:40 AM
haha, minus four points

sweet, we finally have some rep drama. i fully expect threats of violence and legal action

Halfrican
9th August 06, 04:42 AM
I don't even know how to check my rep anymore, all of my comments dissapeared when Phrost ass-to-mouthed our forums.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th August 06, 04:45 AM
It's under the User Control Panel for us cool Bullshido guys (Except Plazma, he's pretty much a loser), but because you all suck I can see why Phrost would hide it from you.

Stick
20th August 06, 01:42 AM
Considering that Olorin only plays like Civ IV and turn baseed war games/card games/whatever..... yeah, he did just fine.

Olorin
20th August 06, 01:13 PM
To tell the truth I just started this thread because no one was posting anything! I hoped it might spark a good conversation about video cards.

Right now we have 19 people viewing the forums, 2x the numbers we were getting a week ago, but we need to liven this place up is this is going to work…

I think we need more fun content like Dai’s Gif thread, maybe a pics of disaster thread, Photoshop contests, and more video game reviews like airman kai’s review of Dead Rising.

Halfrican
20th August 06, 07:07 PM
the nVidia vs. ATI warfare is a calm topic now, everyone knows ATI is better. Before, this was debateable.

MartialArtN00b
20th August 06, 10:47 PM
im still stuck with my geforce 4600. Good enough to play half life again when tf2 comes out.

Halfrican
21st August 06, 12:13 AM
I don't know how to tell you this, but TF2 is going to be based on the source engine.

MartialArtN00b
21st August 06, 12:48 PM
i know. I can play half life2, and cs:source decently .

Energiser
21st August 06, 11:21 PM
we got more than 4 people from the old forum. Most of them probably won't bother posting here because they didn't bother posting there either.

Also, i don't think our old reps got transfered across (yet? i vaguely recall phrakypoo saying they would eventually) so i imagine plexor the name-changing assmonkey has been rep-whoring it up since the new forum was created.

also, uhm, yeah.. that card is pretty craps.

could probably pick up something decent second-hand for around those dollars, in conclusion, meh.

Kiko
22nd August 06, 08:20 AM
/agree with Ener.

JimmyTheHutt
22nd August 06, 01:33 PM
the nVidia vs. ATI warfare is a calm topic now, everyone knows ATI is better. Before, this was debateable.

Yeah, that's completely not true. Its still debatable. Both mfg's offer different features. Generally speaking, nVidia turns out higher performance at higher cost, particularly in the X1900 vs. 7900 comparisons. Crossfire has been a pretty dismal failure compared to SLI. To top it all off, nVidia has majority market support from the game producers.

And before you accuse me of being a fanboy, I currently run with ATI. My only loyalty is to framerate.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Halfrican
22nd August 06, 02:16 PM
Mine also, which is why I'm using a 6800 Ultra which was purchased at the time it was the best. All video cards I've owned:
3Dfx Voodoo2
Riva TNT2 Ultra
GeForce
GeForce2
GeForce3 Ultra
GeForce4 Ti4600
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
GeForce4 6800 Ultra

Halfrican
22nd August 06, 02:17 PM
I refuse to buy 2 video cards to use crossfire or SLI, if they think buying two high-end cards is going to be the standard, they can use their tongues as my toilet paper.

Alex
22nd August 06, 04:54 PM
and the bonus you get from it is totally not worth it. in some games it even slows shit down. I currently have a Geforce 7600GT- better than any ATi card for the same price. my loyalty is to my pocket.

JimmyTheHutt
23rd August 06, 12:37 PM
I refuse to buy 2 video cards to use crossfire or SLI, if they think buying two high-end cards is going to be the standard, they can use their tongues as my toilet paper.

I think the point of SLI and Crossfire is to allow easier access to better performance by pairing mid-level cards. Two of them should theoretically be capable of almost equalling the performance of the high end cards, and at a lower cost.

However, if I am going to spend the ton of money, I am going to get one card that just kicks complete ass.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

WarPhalange
9th September 06, 03:33 PM
What a shitty video card. I bought a 7900GT. Oblivion plays fine on FULL settings. Go me.

Diggler McFeely
10th September 06, 02:53 AM
... and now your life is complete.

GG!

WarPhalange
10th September 06, 08:01 PM
I find Oblivion to be lacking, actually.

I tried to download some of the Mods for it. You need to PAY for them. Like a buck or two. For fucking MODS! Most of them suck ass, too.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th September 06, 10:11 PM
You only have to pay for Bethesda's mods, all of which blow anyway. Other mods can be had for free.

WarPhalange
11th September 06, 10:55 PM
I've been browsing through those for a while now, actually. I heard there was a mod that makes the menu system (i.e. inventory, spell, etc) a lot easier. This stuff takes too long. Especially without shortcuts.

Energiser
11th September 06, 11:49 PM
Oblivions game design was horribly broken from the start, which is sad. Very pretty, with some cool stuff.. however, it still managed to suck after the intial "woah it's pretty, woah i'm head of the dark brotherhood" sheen wears off.

Apparently there is some 3rd party mod that "fixes" the gameplay so it's less stupid, i couldn't really be bothered finding it though..

WarPhalange
12th September 06, 02:20 AM
It's because they made the game pretty and then decided "ok, so how is this going to be played now that we have everything done?"

Instead of building the pretty around the gameplay.

Example 1: Levitation spells taken out. Same with jump. Those kicked ass.

Example 2: Yes! I went to hell and back again like a million times. I defeated EVERYBODY that stood in my way! I am THE BEST WARRIOR! Wait, what, everybody else is the same level as me? Even though they didn't do SHIT!?

Example 3: Who needs spears? The advantage of along, pointy stick is lost when the other guy has a dagger or some shit.

Blah, I could go on. It lacks compared to Morrowind. A good game, but good graphics don't compare to gameplay. Especially since most people need to turn everything down to even run the game.