PDA

View Full Version : review: titans quest

Alex
3rd August 06, 11:05 PM
When I first heard of this game I thought it would be pretty crap. then i played the demo and thought "this game is pretty crap" but for some reason, i still went and bought it. probably out of some vain hope it would fill my itam collecting needs since i quite diablo 2 and WoW.

Anyway, the game starts out with some schtick about the greek gods having imprisoned the titans, and some badass mini titan was out trying to free them. or something. my greek mythology is a bit rusty but it all seemed, well fairly bullshit really. the game falls down in this area in what is one of the holy rules of RPGs- the bad guy has no face. of all the things they stole from diablo and its sequel they forgot one of the most important bits, and that was how to tell a story. In diablo you knew who the bad dude was. and you knew he was a seriously bad dude and had to be stopped. there was a connection between the various sub bosses and diablo, and also things such as cut scenes between acts which drove the storyline. this is absent from TQ. apart from the fact that everything in the wilderness wants to kill you there is no indication of the baddie.

See how I made comparisons to diablo? well this game is basically a diablo clone. shit the producers pretty much said this. mana and health pots abound, the game is divided into acts, even the town portal system is almost identical. combat is very similar. all your favourite shrines make a return(?) such as thorn shrines, mastery (+skill), regen and of course experience shrines. even the item system is almost the same except that set items arent green and uniqes arent gold. huh.

The graphics are, obviously, better than diablo. 3D and also includes a rudimentary physics system which is quite a nice touch, with bodies rolling down hills or falling into crevasses etc (not so nice when they drop an item that rolls off a cliff though). one of the bigger beefs i have with this game is that you have no customisation options with your characters looks. its almost expected these days, maybe not to the extent of oblivions face thingy but at least hair colour etc. instead you get stuck with a russel crowe clone (or a woman with ridiculous tits) for the whole game. Also, your character has no, well, character. you arent provided with a backstory- you are simply plopped outside some village with a bread knife and a silly looking skirt. apparently this is heroic garb because everyone in the game whines at you about fixing their problems. your character never says anything either which worked in half life but doesnt work so well here, he just comes across as some kind of idiot mute.

on the plus side the skill system is quite good. there are 6 "trees" and at the start you choose one. later on at about level 10 you can choose a second skill tree to spend points in as well. so a pure warrior character may choose to go the weapons tree as his primary and the defense tree as his secondary. having said that, this game is not balanced. my first try as a fire sorceror failed pretty miserably. on the other hand, if you go spirit and get the lich king minion you have pretty much won the game. with that as my primary and nature as my secondary (allowing me to summon a few wolves as well as heal) i chewed through the game without even trying, and am halfway through the second difficulty (yeah they stole that setup from diablo as well) with no sweat.

to be honest im not sure if i like this game. the more i play it the more i want to fire up diablo 2 instead. the game is vaguely enjoyable but because of the gaping maw that takes up the space where the plot is supposed to go you get the feeling that its fairly pointless. diablo 2 was basically an online game with the high end being all about pvp and collecting the baddest items but the multiplayer in TQ is not server side like the closed realms on D2- basically, its VERY easy to cheat online (although D2 is that way now as well) which is quite a turn off.

Binary
15th August 06, 03:44 PM
Not sure if this is allowed but I will tack on that I was given this game by someone, and though my computer has more than enough to run it, every time I try and play it, it crashes.

And from what I've gathered on the net, it crashes, all the time, constantly, for everyone.

I wouldn't know what the game is like, but fuck it for crashing.

JimmyTheHutt
17th August 06, 11:13 AM
I've had no problems with the game. It's run very stable for me since I updated to 1.08.

The game itself is a time-sucker, just like Diablo 1/2. Simple, addictive gameplay with some pretty graphics. All in all, its a winner.

It makes me want a Diablo 3 though. However, since Bill Roper isn't at Blizzard anymore, it's unlikely that we will see it anytime soon.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Binary
17th August 06, 12:49 PM
It makes me want a Diablo 3 though. However, since Bill Roper isn't at Blizzard anymore, it's unlikely that we will see it anytime soon.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Do not dispair there is heavy rumor on the internet that Diablo 3 is going to be coming.

JimmyTheHutt
22nd August 06, 01:38 PM
Do not dispair there is heavy rumor on the internet that Diablo 3 is going to be coming.

But will it be as good without Bill Roper? Its completely possible to make a shitty sequel to a great game, particularly once the original creators are gone. Look at Wing Commander: Secret Missions (no Chris Roberts).

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt