PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music? Yeah, that's right.

Halfrican
16th December 05, 07:02 PM
I just started listening to a lot of classical, looking for reccomendations on great songs to download, I'll get pretty much anything listed and give it a shot. I prefer instrumentals, but choir and opera mixed in is not bad. I like really dramatic music, not so much the happy stuff. I want something that gives me chills when played on a powerful system.

Kiko
16th December 05, 07:05 PM
Mozart's Requiem would be good for that, Plex.
If you want something seasonal, try Trans Siberian Orchestra, they do some stuff that's classical/powerful/dramatic.

Halfrican
16th December 05, 07:13 PM
Can't find a song named Mozart's Requiem, is that an album?

Cybsled
16th December 05, 10:48 PM
For a good album, get 'The Planets' by Gustof Holst. Mars-the Bringer of War is a pretty sweet song to play on a loud soundsystem.

And if you like game music, Final Fantasy: Grand Finale is a fully orchestrated selection of music from FF6 (FF3 US)...my fav selections from that are the opening prelude theme, the phantom forest, the town theme, the airship theme, and the opera. The opera theme from the game is an actual opera on the CD to boot ;) Another good one is Final Fantasy 8 Orchestra, which is another fully orchestrated selection. My fav selections from that are Battle themes (regular + Laguna), the SEED theme, and the overland.

Also, the fully orchestrated Sephiroth theme from FF7 is sweet.

Bukow
17th December 05, 12:04 AM
Try Wagner's Tannhauser, especially the Pilgrim's Chorus and the Entry of the Guests. Great stuff.

Halfrican
17th December 05, 12:40 AM
Will do, having a hard time finding shit because assholes make 99,142 different techno remixes of every song.

Energiser
17th December 05, 04:00 AM
uhm.. i think requiem is beethoven?

Aaranar
17th December 05, 04:51 AM
Pretty much anything by Andre Segovia.

Kiko
17th December 05, 08:08 AM
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Most composers wrote music for masses, one of which is called a requiem, I believe a funeral mass. Mozart's is rather famous and I recall it from the film "Amadeus".

Techno remix?? are these people smoking their harpsichords??

Hurricane Aegien
17th December 05, 04:38 PM
Converge.

Classic(al?) hardcore.

Halfrican
17th December 05, 05:14 PM
Figlo Perduto by Beethoven is by far my favorite so far. <3 Veldy

Phleg
17th December 05, 07:31 PM
Can't find a song named Mozart's Requiem, is that an album?

Dude, tell me you're not that dense. It's Requiem, by Mozart. Sometimes it goes is known as Messa de Requiem.

Steps
17th December 05, 10:26 PM
Vivaldi, Seasons as your starter. Move on to Vivaldi Sposa Son Disprezzata as sung by Cecilia Bartoli. End it up with a little Baroque from Johan Pachelbel, Canon in D Major.

That'll prime your pump, chump. :)

Halfrican
17th December 05, 10:53 PM
Swan Lake Act 1 Finale > me

Shalank
18th December 05, 02:33 AM
Im surprised no ones mentioned carmina burana yet, fucking great peice.

Cilumbik
18th December 05, 03:46 AM
Im surprised no ones mentioned carmina burana yet, fucking great peice.

Carmina Burana isn't classical. Its movie trailer theme-songs.. garbage.

Derreck
18th December 05, 07:14 AM
Haha let me guess... Carl Orff is a sellout?

Carl Orff used to compose for the streets, man! Now he's letting commercials use his stuff!

Don't listen to this pleb, Plex. Check out Carmina Burana, and O Fortuna for the "movie trailer" stuff.

Merauk
18th December 05, 10:34 AM
Pretty much anything by Elvis.

Cilumbik
18th December 05, 01:16 PM
Carl Orff used to compose for the streets, man! Now he's letting commercials use his stuff!

OH GAWD! HE'S HARD!

Carl Orff composes garbage. It has nothing to do with "being a sell-out". Its garbage.

Derreck
18th December 05, 04:49 PM
Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cilumbik
18th December 05, 04:57 PM
You're absolutely correct.

Phleg
18th December 05, 05:07 PM
Vivaldi, Seasons as your starter. Move on to Vivaldi Sposa Son Disprezzata as sung by Cecilia Bartoli. End it up with a little Baroque from Johan Pachelbel, Canon in D Major.

That'll prime your pump, chump. :)

All some of my favorites. Winter and Canon D are two of my all-time favorite movements.

Halic
20th December 05, 03:05 AM
Bach's Toccata and Fuge in D minor

Lohocla
22nd December 05, 07:48 PM
Classical tastes varry from person to person. I suggest you search for Classical and try a little of everything. Note the stuff you like and then research it and find similar.

That being said here are a few of my favorite composers

Grieg
Wagner
Tchaikovski
Liszt
Shostakovich
Chopin
Khachaturian
Moussorgsky

many others, but they are good to start with.

Halfrican
22nd December 05, 08:43 PM
Classical so far is great, but uses a really confusing song naming system. I can find like 5 different versions of the same song that all sound differently.

Veldriss
23rd December 05, 02:48 AM
That'll be because they are being performed by 5 different orchestras. :rolleyes:

Jimatra
23rd December 05, 09:31 AM
Wagner - Die Walküre

Also, Wu Tang is for the kids.

Cybsled
23rd December 05, 12:53 PM
Classical so far is great, but uses a really confusing song naming system. I can find like 5 different versions of the same song that all sound differently

As Veld said, most times you find different orchestras performing them with slightly different instruments, thus you can get differences in how the song is performed.

Most of the music is public domain, unlike alot of modern stuff, thus people are alot more free in how they can perform it.

Halfrican
13th January 06, 10:22 PM
Well after listening to tons of classical I can now state that Beethoven - Figlo Perduto is the greatest classical song of all-time, this is non-debateable and now fact. It was sent to me by Veldriss proving that the british really do have exquisite taste in music. The End. Please lock this thread so nobody attempts to debate a scientific fact.

Sabore Wallace
13th January 06, 10:42 PM
I disagree!

Kwill
14th January 06, 11:22 AM
When I developed an interest in classical music, I went to the library and checked out a bunch of CDs. The CDs can give you some pieces in a theme or genre, too.

I guess it's old fashioned now to get things offline, but I like looking at the liner notes and the other info on a CD. Then you can cruise the net for what you like.

Also, there are some really good books on appreciating classical music that explain the different styles and what to listen for.

The conductor makes a huge difference on how a piece sounds, as well.