PDA

View Full Version : How to buy a new TV

Varner
26th September 05, 02:51 PM
Flare, Phrack all you uber geeks and electronic's wizards post what you know. If a normal person can read and understand the post that helps alot too.

Phrost
26th September 05, 03:51 PM
Honestly, I'm still rocking a ~40ish inch CRT TV at home so I'm not really up on all the latest tech stuff on TVs.

I hear Plasma is awesome, HD is going to be pretty standard in a year or two, and rear-projection big screens are the cheapest way to go for size, bang for the buck-wise. Just don't use your PS2 on them.

Zith
26th September 05, 04:45 PM
That's an open ended question, it all depends on how much you want to spend, how much space you have, etc..

Flare
26th September 05, 05:17 PM
Honestly, I'm still rocking a ~40ish inch CRT TV at home so I'm not really up on all the latest tech stuff on TVs.

I hear Plasma is awesome, HD is going to be pretty standard in a year or two, and rear-projection big screens are the cheapest way to go for size, bang for the buck-wise. Just don't use your PS2 on them.
That's not true, actually. If you are measuring pure bang for the buck in both size and clarity, a front projection is where it's at. The problem is space... you gotta have the room for it, otherwise you're screwed.

After having front projection for a year now, I can honestly say that no other TV type is even marginally close. You can spend $15,000 on a 70" LCD TV ( Sony I think? ) and a $1500 front projection will stomp all over it six ways from Sunday in both size and clarity. But again, you have to have the room for it (when I say room, I don't mean dimensions, I mean the room design).

Ambient light plays hell with front projection, so the room has to be dark. You have to be able to mount it somewhere (either behind your couch, or preferrably on the ceiling), and then you have to get the video signal to it.

If you don't have the room for front projection, a DLP type rear projection is nice and small (and light!) for a reasonable price vs. picture size. Tubes are great, but they don't get bigger than 42" (and I think the 42" ones were discontinued years ago).

So basically... like Zith said, what are you trying to accomplish?

Varner
26th September 05, 05:18 PM
Trying to close open ends. I got about $2k and I want the biggest, sharpest picture I can get. Looking around online I see all sorts of stuff like HD Ready, HD Built in, HD Monitor, LCD, Plasma, various resolutions, speeds its all pretty confusing really to me.

Halfrican
26th September 05, 07:41 PM
Buy a 42" Sony LCD Projection, Model KDF-E42A10. You will need a nice looking stand to set it on, but picture clarity for the price cannot be topped.

Energiser
26th September 05, 08:41 PM
That's not true, actually. If you are measuring pure bang for the buck in both size and clarity, a front projection is where it's at. The problem is space... you gotta have the room for it, otherwise you're screwed.

After having front projection for a year now, I can honestly say that no other TV type is even marginally close. You can spend $15,000 on a 70" LCD TV ( Sony I think? ) and a $1500 front projection will stomp all over it six ways from Sunday in both size and clarity. But again, you have to have the room for it (when I say room, I don't mean dimensions, I mean the room design).

Ambient light plays hell with front projection, so the room has to be dark. You have to be able to mount it somewhere (either behind your couch, or preferrably on the ceiling), and then you have to get the video signal to it.

If you don't have the room for front projection, a DLP type rear projection is nice and small (and light!) for a reasonable price vs. picture size. Tubes are great, but they don't get bigger than 42" (and I think the 42" ones were discontinued years ago).

So basically... like Zith said, what are you trying to accomplish?

front projection is the shizzle peoples. can't beat a 6ft x 6ft screen.

4ft-high guile FTW.

Zith
26th September 05, 08:52 PM
go to Circuit City or Best Buy and look at them .. see which one you like the best.

DLP TV's give some people headaches, but in my opinion they are far superior to LCD, the blacks are thousands of times better. If you want a DLP TV then look at the Samsung models, if you want LCD look at Sony or Hitachi.

Front Projection is the best but you really need to have a proper room and know what you're doing

Halfrican
26th September 05, 11:23 PM
I've sold about 6 of the new Samsung DLP, and I've had 4 returned with problems. Sony I've sold well over 30 of their 42, 50, and 60inch models, and I have not gotten a single one returned on me. And don't go to Circuit City, go to Sears or the internet.

Phrost
26th September 05, 11:38 PM
Told you I didn't know shit. And yeah, our big TV is about 5 years old or so.

Halfrican
26th September 05, 11:48 PM
Another thing to keep in mind when buying your 42" Sony, all micro-PTV's(lcd, dlp, lcos) have a lamp with a limited lifespan of about 2-3yrs if you watch a decent amount of TV. The lamps run $250 and have to be ordered from the manufacturer, but they can be easily replaced on your own.

Don't let a salesperson talk you into something other than a Sony LCD, Sony pays the lowest commission rates so salesmen will do anything they can to get you to buy a Hitachi, Samsung, or Mitsubishi.

Halfrican
27th September 05, 12:10 AM
I've sold about 6 of the new Samsung DLP, and I've had 4 returned with problems. Sony I've sold well over 30 of their 42, 50, and 60inch models, and I have not gotten a single one returned on me. And don't go to Circuit City, go to Sears or the internet.

Zith
27th September 05, 12:47 AM
I am not talking about buying one at circuit city - I'm just talking about going to a place and looking for yourself. See if you can see the problems with DLP that some see, or see if it looks okay to you. If the DLP looks good to you I'd get that over LCD. I haven't heard the bad stuff about the new Samsung's, only heard good things (take that with a grain of salt though). Another good brand for DLP is Toshiba

Flare
27th September 05, 08:23 AM
Zith - do the rear projections DLPs suffer from the rainbow, too? My front projection DLP suffers from it (or I do, depending on your point of view) and I've been considering going to an LCD projector for that and a couple other reasons.

I didn't know the DLP ones did as well... I thought all rear projection DLP were three chip DLP, is that not so?

Kiko
27th September 05, 08:36 AM
Soon all this will be outdated when they download media directly into our brains and project 'em onto our retinas.

Phleg
27th September 05, 08:47 AM
HD-Ready vs. HD-Built In means that you either need to buy an external HD tuner or the TV provides an HD tuner itself.

Zith
27th September 05, 10:08 AM
Ya Flare, the rear proj DLP's do have the rainbow effect, I don't see it so it means nothing to me. I don't know the technical differences between front/rear projection DLP, but it is noticeable for some people on both.

And please don't waste 2-300 dollars and buy a TV with the HD tuner built in - it is a complete waste considering almost anywhere you get TV service from will require you to use one of their own tuners anyway. The ONLY reason that having a HD tuner built in would be useful is if you wanted to use an antenna to get your local channels in high def.

Yiktin Voxbane
27th September 05, 10:12 AM
Soon all this will be outdated when they download media directly into our brains and project 'em onto our retinas.

Wet Wire me now...

Plzkthx.

Hurricane Aegien
27th September 05, 10:24 AM

I'm still shocked they let your kind work at Best Buy.

Halfrican
27th September 05, 11:22 AM
I'm still shocked they let your kind work at Best Buy.

Actually it's Sears. And I'm #1 in sales volume and could convince a TV repairman himself to buy an extended warranty.

Back to the subject, DLP is garbage. The Sony LCD's color reproduction cannot be matched by any other LCD or DLP. Flesh tones look realistic. Red, blue, green, black are all perfect. DLP suffers from bad pixelization during scenes with a lot of motion and fine details. The Samsung in particular has an infinite amount of minor problems that they haven't fixed over the past 4generations. IF you had to have a DLP for some reason, get the Mitsubishi as it has 3 independent DLP chips and no color wheel. I sell all brands of TV's and I've been selling them and seeing what does and doesn't have problems over the past 4yrs, and I would never ever consider anything but a Sony LCD, they are worth double the price of any DLp but they actually cost less. The Sony's come in 42, 50, 55, 60, 70 inch sizes but the 42" is in your price range. There is a 50" Sony XBR you would have to see to believe.

Anyone that thinks DLP is more than an overhyped new technology that doesn't improve anything, obviously knows nothing about this subject. Afterall, the 2 best manufacturers of big screen TV's(Sony and Hitachi) do not have a single DLP model, but several LCD's.

Varner
27th September 05, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Clug
27th September 05, 01:47 PM
And please don't waste 2-300 dollars and buy a TV with the HD tuner built in - it is a complete waste considering almost anywhere you get TV service from will require you to use one of their own tuners anyway. The ONLY reason that having a HD tuner built in would be useful is if you wanted to use an antenna to get your local channels in high def.

Not 100% true anymore.

Newer sets have the HD tuner with the cable card in them. Local cable companies will come with a pre-programmed card for your set and put the card in and your are good to go.

That is if your cable cable company is worth a shit. Works that way here with Comcast.

I have a 55" Sony LCD rear projection that I got last year with the built in HD cable card tuner (Sony includes them on all models now, as far as I know) and I love it (cept the blacks are too dark as Zith mentioned). I cannot stand to watch DLP though, gives me massive eye strain and headaches after a short period. If DLP doesn't bug you, I think it has a better picture than LCD as well (unless you are talking about true LCD, not rear projection). The best pictures I have seen have been true LCD TV's and Plasma's.

Newer plasma's are nice and supposedly will last a long time now (older plasma's faded within a few years and once they fade they are junk, cannot repair them).

True LCD (similar to LCD computer monitors) are spendy, but the picture is damn nice.

Zith
27th September 05, 05:51 PM
Yeah the cable cards are nice, but I have heard some bad things about them. That being said, I can plead ignorance because I simply have not used one myself. I still don't think it's worth 2-300 extra dollars because you can always get a box for 5 dollars a month from your cable company anyway.

Plexor, you can say I don't know what I'm talking about all you want, but you just sound like a Sony fanboi more than anything else. I think DLP is a better picture, and I know I am not the only one. This is why I am suggesting that Varner goes to the store and looks for himself -- everyone seems to have differing opinions about what is better, and I think instead of listening to us tell him which is better he needs to use his own eyes.

IMO, the difference on the blacks between DLP and LCD is a huge difference and is why I prefer DLP myself. If you see someone wearing a black shirt with a black background behind him, on a LCD TV it will blend together - on a DLP you will see the contrast difference clearly.

I have a consumer reports membership, and their top five microdisplay tv's (DLP/LCD) are:

1) Samsung HLP5085W
2) Panasonic PT-50DL54
3) Samsung HLP5685W
4) Hitachi 50VS810
5) Hitachi 50V710

Sony is number 11 out of 13 they reviewed. I own a Sony TV, and I like it a lot, but it is a regular rear projection, and I got a hell of a deal on it. I like their big screen LCD TV's as well, and I am in no way saying it's a bad TV, but there are plenty of options.

Halfrican
27th September 05, 09:23 PM
Here is a useful site. It is talking about front projectors, but the same thing applies to the micro projection sets using the DLP and LCD technology, everything they say is true and unbiased and can help you form your opinion.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp.htm

Halfrican
27th September 05, 09:27 PM
All of those TV's consumer reports rates are last years model. Not that it matters brandwise, I never see any real logic to their rankings. Last march for example they rated a old fashioned analog round screen 32" Toshiba, over a 32" Sony and Toshiba HDTV model, maybe it has something to do with biggest bang for the buck? When you actually read the reviewers comments they are all things that end up being just his preference. Like ranking Mitsubishi lower because their menu's are too technical and confusing, a lot of people prefer having complete control over everything that has to do with their TV and not some dumbed down macintosh menu.

Saoshen Sih`ja`Tgzu
3rd October 05, 12:37 PM
... everything they say is true and unbiased ...

There is NOTHING on the intarweb that is truely unbiased.

That said, your best bet is to refer to as many different resources as you have time/energy to research.

downinit
18th December 05, 01:54 PM
When you see a widescreen CRT and they say it's HDTV, does it actually run full 1080i/720p or is it some shitty 480 pixel type thing that pretends to be HD?

Halfrican
18th December 05, 04:58 PM
It's actually HD, most CRT's support a 1920x1080 resolution, which is even higher than most Micro Projections and all Plasmas.

downinit
18th December 05, 05:16 PM
Well wtf then. I was turned off of CRTs a while ago when I read that they max out at 600 pixels or some shit.

So I'm looking to get an HDTV for my bedroom in the 27-30 inch range. Would you recommend CRT as the best option? I'm considering ones like these:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0770HDS0010059691&catid=23520&logon=&langid=EN

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10064776&catid=23518&logon=&langid=EN

Halfrican
18th December 05, 07:17 PM
Prima is a pile of shit. I sell those at Sears and at least half of them get returned with all kinds of odd problems. That Toshiba has terrible color reproduction, everything is super bright and vivid even when you try to tone the color down. Great if you like Anime I guess. If you want the best TV in that size, it is this http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&pid=05742055000

Samsung makes great TV's, that one in particular is a CRT which looks incredible, even as good as the Sony's. It also has both an NTSC and ATSC tuner build in, so you can pick up your local HD stations without needing any extra hardware. It also has an optical output so you can broadcast your HD stations to your surround sound in dolby digital.

NOT TO MENTION! It is 1/3 slimmer than all the other CRT TV's, it's only about 16.5" deep where most TV's are 22" deep. Enjoy.

downinit
18th December 05, 07:48 PM
Thanks a lot. Only problem is it costs $1299 Canadian and I'm trying to be cheap. I think I'll stick with my shitty old TV that's falling apart while I wait for the price to hopefully come down.

Halfrican
18th December 05, 08:31 PM
You're a canadian? Fuck

downinit
30th December 05, 01:31 PM
I just bought a 26 inch LCD from Dell. Hopefully it won't suck ass.

Luko
30th December 05, 04:09 PM
You should be using that money for sports!