PDA

View Full Version : Doom: Teh Movie

Cybsled
25th August 05, 01:54 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/doom.html

New trailer. I like the FPS shots in the film ;)

It also verifies two things: 1) the movie is taking place on Mars 2) Hell is involved somehow

Alrighty then.

Flare
25th August 05, 02:14 PM
Looks like they had a BFG 9000.... except it was blue... WTF?

I did like the fact that they had some chainsaw action going on!

Looks like something I wanna see.

imported_Bob
25th August 05, 04:04 PM
I figured that blue was plasma rifle.

I like fact that they showed all the classic demons from hell hound to imps. Cant wait to see a Cyberdemon.

Irbanoz
25th August 05, 05:28 PM
Spider Mastermind, baby!

Buzman
25th August 05, 11:38 PM
Chainsaw! and the FPS view was cool. I think that was plasma rifle as well.

Chantress
26th August 05, 12:10 AM
While I think this will be cool and will definetly go see it, it vaguely reminds me of what Wing Commander looked like when I went to see it...in terms of cinematography. It tried too hard to be the video game.

Halfrican
26th August 05, 12:42 AM
First ever first person movie? I'll definately be shelling out my $8 for this one.

Zeta
26th August 05, 02:57 AM
sweet find cyb. That FPS is bad as hell.

Neildo
18th August 06, 05:02 PM
Ancient Thread, revive from the depths. Rise. RISE. RISE!!

I just bought this movie for 8 bucks. Wal-Mart is getting out of the UMD game, and they're clearing out old stock at 8.50CAD/title. Not a bad deal since most UMD's are $20+. Motherfuckin' EB wanted 36 dollars for fucking Date Movie. I bet it's funny, but the shit ain't THAT funny son.

kungfujew
18th August 06, 05:06 PM
Wasn't the movie supposed to be terrible?

Neildo
18th August 06, 05:45 PM
Not sure, haven't watched it all yet.

So far, it's kinda dumb. Saw a severed arm in the first couple of minutes though.

Teryan
18th August 06, 05:48 PM
It sucked. No real gore to speak of, no real plot devlopment, almost no chacter devlopment. Rock kept repeating him self to seem more dramatic.

Halfrican
18th August 06, 06:10 PM
More importantly, it has nothing to do with Doom. There are no similarities between this movie and the Doom series of video games.

Cormoran
19th August 06, 10:18 AM
I was dissapointed simply because no one walked through a door sized pussy like in the book.

Without hell it was basically resident evil in space. This thread necro-revival has more to do with hell than the movie it's about.

Neildo
19th August 06, 10:33 AM
I revived it because i just bought the UMD for 8 bucks. Bargain? Not really....I just watched most of it.

More importantly, it has nothing to do with Doom. There are no similarities between this movie and the Doom series of video games.

There are a couple minor points. The BFG, the names of locations in the facility, the first-person camera shit.....Mars. But yeah, it's pretty dumb. It could have been so much better.

If I was to have made this movie, I would have made it more action-packed, but like a prequel to what happens in the game, and have it end with the bad-ass Space marine showing up to finish the job those pussy RRTS guys couldn't handle.

Also, bless abbandonware. I downloaded full version doom on my work computer. Teehee.

!*~EDIT + SPOILER ALERT~*!

Okay, finally got through this crappy movie. The best part is the special features. They had an SAS/Special Forces guy (Tom McAdam) train them in military tactics, and to make sure they looked like actual soldiers on screen, which they do. Too bad there wasnt enough action in the film to make all that training worthwhile.

The Rock: 'Retreat!'
Tom: You would never say 'retreat'. You'd say 'Fall Back'.
The Rock: Could we say 'let's get the fuck out of here!'
Tom: Yeah, you could say that too.

If you're unfamiliar with the game, read This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom)

The Wiki article makes a reference to a series of books. I read all four.

The game never really gets into the origins, but at some point you're fighting in hell, so you assume they're demons from hell.

In the books, they say the origin of the monsters is that they're aliens that take the image of demons so they can scare the humans easier or some crap. I can't remember, in the last book they got way out there and I lost interest.

In the movie, they reveal that the scientists on Mars were actually experimenting on prisoners or some stupid thing, and that's where the monsters come from. The mutated humans can also infect other humans so they transform into super beings and shit. The zombie-thing doesn't make much sense. One of the characters mutates really quickly into this thing...it's dumb.

It sucked. No real gore to speak of, no real plot devlopment, almost no chacter devlopment. Rock kept repeating him self to seem more dramatic.

Sort of. There was plot development, but it was stupid. Some new chromasome that they discovered, and experimenting on humans. They spend a lot of time looking for survivors in the facility which turn out to be mutated scientists. Then there's the conflict between the soldiers themselves, which brings me to the character development.

They're lame. A bunch of the characters are pointless, and have no real impact on the story. The Rock's character is stupid, no commanding officer would act that way. In the end, there's this whole hand-to-hand combat thing. Totally pointless.

And yeah, not much gore. Cool monster efects, but they weren't demons or aliens, they were fucking mutated humans. what a crock. Definately not enough zombie action. In the game there were thousands of soldiers that had gone zombie, but could still point guns and shoot at you. There should have been more of that.

Disappointing. Just like Aliens vs. Predator. I waited a decade for these movies, and they both sucked. They should have let ME make them, they would have kicked ass.

AAAhmed46
19th August 06, 02:24 PM
Not enough monster variety.

Sun Wukong
20th August 06, 03:00 PM
I hated this movie.

Neildo
20th August 06, 03:12 PM
Watched return of the living dead last night. Now THAT's a fucking zombie movie.

Everybody was all hyped about 'fast' zombies in 28 days later. Fucking RoTLD had smart zombies! They had a zombie direct a police convoy right into a zombie trap.

Saw Land of the dead about a month ago too. I groaned when i saw John Leguizamo, but it was actually pretty cool.

JimmyTheHutt
21st August 06, 03:00 PM
Watched return of the living dead last night. Now THAT's a fucking zombie movie.

Everybody was all hyped about 'fast' zombies in 28 days later. Fucking RoTLD had smart zombies! They had a zombie direct a police convoy right into a zombie trap.

Saw Land of the dead about a month ago too. I groaned when i saw John Leguizamo, but it was actually pretty cool.

John Leguizamo is actually pretty good when he's not trying to be funny. I hated him in "The Freak", but he was the only worthwhile thing about "Romeo+Juliet".

Land of The Dead was supremely bad ass. Romero knocked that one out of the park.

Doom was stupid, but fun. I could live with it, considering I got it at a price I liked (i.e. free).

Just imagine how awful it would have been had Uwe Boll done it.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Neildo
21st August 06, 03:21 PM
Actually, aside from 'exit wounds' I liked the other movies the Director of Doom had done.

He must like Jet Li and DMX. Romeo Must Die, Cradle to the Grave, Exit wounds. He also worked on Lethal Weapon 4, and Falling down.

I saw a copy of Exit wounds at the grocery store for 3.99 on VHS. Still not worth it.

Hitman
21st August 06, 04:26 PM
Just imagine how awful it would have been had Uwe Boll done it.

Or Paul W.S. Anderson.

Rhamma
23rd August 06, 01:31 PM
Hated the movie, HATED the game.

The game really pissed me off!

I liked Doom II. It was so addictive that you would find yourself playing and look up and go... "Oh shit! It's 4:00am!" It almost made you feel "dirty" that you could be so into a game.

What made it cool was level after level of room after room, and some of those rooms were fucking huge!

It was fun as hell running across big open courtyards mowing down legions on demons (pun intended).

While the graphics where better and the game was smoother and all, what I hated about Doom III was that you were in twisty assed little hallways all the time and having to fight two directions at once most of the time. I understand that they were trying to make it harder, but I like to be able to move around like in Halo. I think Quake II was a much better game than Doom III.

Quake "arena"? I'd like to find the ass hole that came up with that one and rip off his balls and make him eat them!

Halfrican
24th August 06, 04:52 PM
Quake IV is the sequal to Quake II, not Quake III.

Rhamma
25th August 06, 10:30 AM
Quake IV is the sequal to Quake II, not Quake III.
I know, played it on the PC and the PS it was really two totally different games.

I just wish Doom III had had the big open court yard fight like in Doom II.

I think my favorite was the courtyard with the fat rocket launcher dudes that once you kill them the four side doors open and the big spider monsters come in.

Oh, happy times, the glory of cyber battles past.

Shawarma
25th August 06, 11:09 AM
With the JDoom emulator, you can play Doom2 online. It's fun, although the bazooka is too good against other Space Marines IMO.

Cormoran
25th August 06, 01:38 PM
I agree on the game too. Before it came out i downloaded a fully 3d version of doom and doom2 to get back into doom, i've since gotten much more gameplay from the revamped dooms than i did from doom 3.

Quikfeet509
26th August 06, 12:47 AM
What is really odd is that I started a thread with the same title [teh]...

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26370&highlight=doom

Neildo
26th August 06, 11:21 AM
Geez, that thread had me laughing before the end of the first page.

I didn't even think to search there. Sociocide was already open.

Good thread though.

edit: Whoa! Akira Musashi talking about the Advent Children trailer. save that shit for the record books.

Well I saw the movie. My friend that had never played a Doom game enjoyed it much more than I did. It had a few redeeming points. Wait. Maybe it didn't.

LoL

edit: Bored at work, just beat episode 1 of the first Doom game. yayfun.