PDA

View Full Version : A shining example of why Bush is unfit to lead the country:

Flare
15th September 04, 10:29 AM
Normally, I disagree with litigation, but in this case, it's more than justified, and I hope they win a gob of money.

Two Sue Feds Over Anti-Bush T-Shirt Arrest http://www.cowmail.org/squirrelmail/src/download.php?absolute_dl=true&passed_id=1403&mailbox=INBOX.Parents&ent_id=2

<table class="MsoNormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 3 hours ago

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 75pt;" width="100"> http://www.cowmail.org/squirrelmail/src/download.php?absolute_dl=true&passed_id=1403&mailbox=INBOX.Parents&ent_id=2

</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> By JENNIFER BUNDY, Associated Press Writer http://www.cowmail.org/squirrelmail/src/download.php?absolute_dl=true&passed_id=1403&mailbox=INBOX.Parents&ent_id=2

<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="width: 112.5pt;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" width="150"> <tbody><tr> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;">

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;">

</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> CHARLESTON, W.Va. - A couple arrested for wearing anti-Bush T-shirts to a July 4 presidential appearance filed a federal lawsuit on Tuesday alleging their First Amendment rights were violated.

Nicole and Jeff Rank were removed from the event at the West Virginia Capitol in handcuffs after revealing T-shirts with President Bush's name crossed out on the front. Nicole Rank's shirt had the words "Love America, Hate Bush" on the back and Jeff Rank's said "Regime change starts at home."

Their lawsuit was filed in federal court by American Civil Liberties Union attorneys.

"What is at stake here transcends politics," Jeff Rank said at a news conference at the Capitol. "What is at stake is the right of all Americans _ Democrats, Republicans and independents, all Americans _ to peacefully voice their dissent to their government."

Trespassing charges filed against the couple were later dismissed. The City Council and Mayor Danny Jones have publicly apologized.

The lawsuit names Gregory Jenkins, deputy assistant to the president and director of the White House Office of Presidential Advance, and W. Ralph Basham, director of the U.S. Secret Service, as defendants.

The couple wants a judge to declare unconstitutional any policy that led to their arrest. They also are seeking unspecified monetary damages.

Spokesmen for the Secret Service and the U.S. Department of Justice, to whom a White House spokesman directed questions, declined to comment. Both said their agencies do not comment on ongoing litigation.

The ACLU filed a federal lawsuit last September against the Secret Service, seeking an injunction against the Bush administration for segregating protesters at his public appearances. The Secret Service agreed to stop the practice.

Jeff Rank, 29, said he and his wife wore the T-shirts because, "When you see the president speak on TV he is usually shown surrounded by fervent supporters only. While we wanted to hear him out and while we wanted to see him in person, we did not want to be added to the tally of Bush supporters that day."

Nicole Rank, 30, initially was dismissed from her job with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, but was rehired after the charges were dropped.

Doctor Gonzo
16th September 04, 02:56 AM
I hope they get more then an assload of money, I hope they help unelect ... wait elect doesn't really apply here .... I hope they help get Bush out of the White House.

Energiser
16th September 04, 06:26 AM
i hope schmope bope woodipidy boopidy wwwwwwwwwWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!1!!

Shalank
16th September 04, 09:55 AM
I don't see why this makes Bush unfit for president, all it does is make the people who arrested them complete assholes that thought they were doing something good. Bush most likely had nothing to do with this.

Andorion
16th September 04, 10:00 AM
Trespassing charges filed against the couple were later dismissed.

The couple wants a judge to declare unconstitutional any policy that led to their arrest.

That's a great idea, lets repeal those pesky trespassing laws. If someone enters my property without my permission and I ask them to leave, they should definitely be allowed to stay as long as they want, especially if they're wearing anti-Bush shirts.

I can't believe you posted this Flare =(

The entire article is inflamatory bullshit, and the lawsuit is just as stupid. Noone was tramping their first ammendment rights, but they were trespassing by law. People are just too busy pussy-footing to state that now.

Nuku_Unu
16th September 04, 10:13 AM
Fucking Liberals at work again. I wouldnt be surpised if this couple had a lawyer on retainer before they did this.

Kiko
16th September 04, 10:18 AM
From www.tonguetied.us

A California school district is claiming that wearing tee shirt stating one’s religious opposition to homosexuality is the equivalent of wearing one with racist epithets or Nazi swastikas, reports the Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/education/la-me-speech16sep16,1,93291.story?coll=la-news-learning). (sorry, link is all you get, I'm not registered)

In a lawsuit over free speech rights, officials at Poway High School insist that 16-year-old Tyler Chase Harper had no right to wear a tee shirt reading "Homosexuality Is Shameful" and "Our School Embraced What God Has Condemned" on the day of the school’s annual pro-gay Day of Silence.

Harper has sued the school, claiming it violated his constitutional rights to free speech and free expression.

Sithray
16th September 04, 10:19 AM
That's a great idea, lets repeal those pesky trespassing laws. If someone enters my property without my permission and I ask them to leave, they should definitely be allowed to stay as long as they want, especially if they're wearing anti-Bush shirts.

I can't believe you posted this Flare =(

The entire article is inflamatory bullshit, and the lawsuit is just as stupid. Noone was tramping their first ammendment rights, but they were trespassing by law. People are just too busy pussy-footing to state that now.

They weren't trespassing is the problem. They were at a public gathering in an open to the public place. What they did wrong was try to get in front of camera's with anti-Bush shirts on. As usual, no anti-Bush people are allowed anywhere near cameras at his public appearances because it has to look like EVERYONE loves him.

Andorion
16th September 04, 10:21 AM
From www.tonguetied.us

A California school district is claiming that wearing tee shirt stating one’s religious opposition to homosexuality is the equivalent of wearing one with racist epithets or Nazi swastikas, reports the Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/education/la-me-speech16sep16,1,93291.story?coll=la-news-learning). (sorry, link is all you get, I'm not registered)

In a lawsuit over free speech rights, officials at Poway High School insist that 16-year-old Tyler Chase Harper had no right to wear a tee shirt reading "Homosexuality Is Shameful" and "Our School Embraced What God Has Condemned" on the day of the school’s annual pro-gay Day of Silence.

Harper has sued the school, claiming it violated his constitutional rights to free speech and free expression.

That's fine, they shouldn't be allowed to wear that in school. The first amendment doesn't state that you can say WHATEVER YOU WANT WHENVER YOU WANT. When you're at a public school, you follow their rules - you can't walk around saying "fuck you" to the teachers just like you can't walk around in inflamatory shirts or in the nude. I don't see what the big deal is.

I hate people. I seriously hate people.

Andorion
16th September 04, 10:24 AM
They weren't trespassing is the problem. They were at a public gathering in an open to the public place. What they did wrong was try to get in front of camera's with anti-Bush shirts on. As usual, no anti-Bush people are allowed anywhere near cameras at his public appearances because it has to look like EVERYONE loves him.

I don't have any details on what happened, and I'd suspect you don't either - did they bum rush the cameras, jump in front of other people's interviews, go where they weren't supposed to, etc?

I guarantee you when charges were brought against them, they were for a good reason... the police officer didn't write "He was wearing a shirt someone else didn't like" on his paperwork. However, it was turned into a total political fiasco because of the dude's shirt, and any real reason for the charges became irrelevant because people love getting pissed about stuff without considering all information.

vilesoul
16th September 04, 10:27 AM
my thoughts still stand that all religious shirts of any nature should be banned, just on fact that a kid cannot wear a sataism related shirt and not get shit. if one religion, no matter how skewed it is, cannot be worn, then all should not be worn.

vilesoul
16th September 04, 10:31 AM
anyways....if it was a public appearance, then these folks had a right to assemble there...it's just how we view any derogatory statement as an attack. These statemetns are more or less these guy's way of saying "We told you to knock it off a while ago, now we jsut want you out" Their words are worth listening to just as much as his....oh well I guess we got the public access....like that's even close.

Flare
16th September 04, 11:20 AM
Sithray already said pretty much what I would have, Ando... They were at a PUBLIC gathering, and were arrested for "tresspassing." If they wern't wearing those shirts, and did exactly the same as they did while wearing those shirts, I'd be willing to be a lot of money they wouldn't have been harassed.

They were quelling free speech is the bottom line. It's not like this is unusual or out of character for Bush (or a lot of corporations and powerful individuals) and it pisses me off. Whether or not Bush had anything to do with it at that moment is irrelevant. It was basically his public gathering, he should, at the very least, publically acknowledge and condemn it. He hasn't, and thus he's complicit. Which makes him a dirtball :p

imported_Blazer
16th September 04, 12:40 PM
yea it might be bad but if someones wearing anti bush they might be terrorists OMG!

Thespis
16th September 04, 01:12 PM

A few days ago, Bush visited the town where I live. TV cameras showed him smiling and waving to the protestors. Many found that quite amusing, heh. I think it was his politically correct "F U" message.

Thespis
16th September 04, 01:15 PM
my thoughts still stand that all religious shirts of any nature should be banned, just on fact that a kid cannot wear a sataism related shirt and not get shit. if one religion, no matter how skewed it is, cannot be worn, then all should not be worn.

I think students should be allowed to wear the Satanist stuff so long as it is not promoting violation of any laws. I think any form of religion should be free to express itself so long as that expression doesn't violate laws or infringe on the rights of others.

vilesoul
16th September 04, 02:42 PM
exactly, either allow it all or ban it all. Schools dont need more bias than they already have.

Bukow
16th September 04, 03:18 PM
I don't see what this has to do with the man being unfit to lead.

The arrest was bullshit, however, and they'll likely win the case, so long as they can show they weren't violating any generally applicable laws targeted at conduct rather than speech.

Flare
16th September 04, 03:26 PM
You don't see what it has to do with being unfit?

The fact that he condones draconian and/or Stalin-esque iron glove tactics to silence his detractors isn't enough?

Someone doesn't agree with him? Arrest them! Sound like something out of a bad cold-war era movie. To me, that's unfit to lead a nation...

Merauk
16th September 04, 03:48 PM
You don't see what it has to do with being unfit?

The fact that he condones draconian and/or Stalin-esque iron glove tactics to silence his detractors isn't enough?

Someone doesn't agree with him? Arrest them! Sound like something out of a bad cold-war era movie. To me, that's unfit to lead a nation...

John Ashcroft is one scary muther fucker.

Phleg
16th September 04, 04:25 PM
...on the day of the school’s annual pro-gay Day of Silence.

Does anyone else find it silly that they have a Day of Silence to promote homosexual tolerance? "If you don't agree with us, we'll shut the fuck up! Take that!"

Bukow
16th September 04, 04:55 PM
No, Flare...Cops and security goons are always doing things that their superiors don't know about at the time. Unless I heard Bush say he condoned this, I wouldn't hold it against him personally.

Remaining silent on the matter, though, is a questionable position.

And I agree with Merauk -- John Ashcroft is a scary mofo.

Shalank
16th September 04, 06:20 PM
From www.tonguetied.us
...on the day of the school’s annual pro-gay Day of Silence.

Why does a school have a pro-gay Day of Silence anyways? imo sexual orientation has no place in schools, work place, anywhere.

Shroomed
17th September 04, 12:19 AM
This is such bullshit. I was AT that speech. Kerry supporters were throwing shit at cops and harassing people, blocking traffic, and just causing a total commotion. I don't have any problem with people protesting, or even getting a little rowdy, but those guys took it to an extreme. I wouldn't be surprised if those two redneck fucktards got busted for hitting some kid with something, then when the cops come to rightfully haul their asses off, they start up with the repression bit. People from my hometown are such asshats sometimes.

Zeta
17th September 04, 08:07 AM
Kerry/Edwards Making kids cry!

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040917-010155-8041r.htm

A West Virginia man said yesterday that Democrats stole his family's Bush-Cheney campaign signs at an event featuring Democratic vice presidential candidate Sen. John Edwards.
"They just pounced on us," said Phil Parlock, who took his 11-year-old son, Alex, and 3-year-old daughter, Sophia, to the Democratic rally at Tri-State Airport in Huntington, W.Va.
Sophia became briefly famous yesterday when an Associated Press photo showing her in tears after Democrats tore her sign to pieces was posted on Matt Drudge's Web site, www.drudgereport.com.
"She was crying; they were pushing and shoving her," said Mr. Parlock, a Huntington real estate agent. "She was scared."
Sophia is the youngest of 10 children in a proudly patriotic family. The oldest two Parlock children, a 22-year-old daughter and a 21-year-old son, are members of the West Virginia Army National Guard, and a third Parlock — who recently turned 18 — will be sworn into the guard tomorrow, Mr. Parlock said.
The Parlocks went to Mr. Edwards' airport rally yesterday "to support the president," Mr. Parlock said, and brought nine Bush-Cheney signs with them.
"We stood there quietly while Senator Edwards went through the receiving line," he said. Then, as the North Carolina Democrat prepared to leave, Mr. Parlock said, "I took out a few Bush-Cheney signs, gave one to Alex, and Sophia and I held up one jointly."
Immediately, he said, the family was set upon by supporters of Mr. Edwards and Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry — "mostly the painters union guys" — who "started stealing my signs." Soon, "old women and college students joined in the fracas," said Mr. Parlock, describing himself as "strictly a volunteer, grass-roots supporter" of the president. Mr. Parlock ran unsuccessfully for his local school board this year.
After the family returned home from the rally yesterday, he said, a friend called to tell him about the AP photo on the Drudge site. "In the picture, you can see one of the painters union guys has a piece of one of my signs in his hand."
A call to the Kerry-Edwards campaign last night was not returned.
Anti-war demonstrators have complained in recent weeks that they have been manhandled by security agents at Bush-Cheney campaign events.

There is a pic of the little girl crying on the link!

joen00b
17th September 04, 08:51 AM
No, Flare...Cops and security goons are always doing things that their superiors don't know about at the time. Unless I heard Bush say he condoned this, I wouldn't hold it against him personally.

Remaining silent on the matter, though, is a questionable position.

And I agree with Merauk -- John Ashcroft is a scary mofo.

Gimme a fucking break, the leaders of the RNC and his Campaign manager have told them to be VERY strict, using ANY tactics necessary to prevent any protestors from disrupting anything relating to Bush Appearances.

Think about it, Bukow, I know you're a Bush Supporter, but it's pretty fucking obtuse to think he doesn't know what's going on and probably set that standard. You either think he's a complete moron for not knowing this is happening, or know he's a control freak with self esteem issues because he does know about it.

Either way, it's not the right guy to be running the country.

On a related note, Bush is up 55% to 43% in the polls. Time to get that Second Mortgage because here comes the economic Hell On Earth. Those that don't believe me, I'll see you in the Unemployment line in 3 years.

Merauk
17th September 04, 09:22 AM
3-year-old daughter, Sophia, to the Democratic rally at Tri-State Airport in Huntington, W.Va. Sophia became briefly famous yesterday when an Associated Press photo showing her in tears after Democrats tore her sign to pieces

The people who did this are a bunch of faggots. The father of this child though should be beaten for using his kid as a political pawn though.

imported_Solaris Flare
17th September 04, 11:39 AM
The people who did this are a bunch of faggots. The father of this child though should be beaten for using his kid as a political pawn though.

Father should get his kid taken away. What a didlo.

Sithray
17th September 04, 02:05 PM
On a related note, Bush is up 55% to 43% in the polls. Time to get that Second Mortgage because here comes the economic Hell On Earth. Those that don't believe me, I'll see you in the Unemployment line in 3 years.

Poll today shows:

Among registered voters, the two candidates were tied at 46 percent in the Pew poll; among likely voters, Bush led by a statistically insignificant margin of 47 percent to 46 percent.

Sithray
17th September 04, 02:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/17/bush.protester/index.html Another Anti Bush person arrested, No Violence and they had a ticket. Charge was trespassing but was dropped.

Merauk
17th September 04, 02:11 PM
We do not directly elect a President (the last election should have made that clear to everyone). Polls are only a good indication when you look at individual states and then determine who stands to win those electoral votes. National percentages are fairly useless in determining the outcome of Presidential elections.

I suspect at this point that Bush will in fact win but probably will not gain 50% of the vote. In the key battle ground states he has managed to get some traction due to the fact that Kerry apparently has somebody with the intellectual level of Thespis running his campaign.

Luko
17th September 04, 03:29 PM
Event planners were ready for such a disruption, stationing volunteers like Karolina Zabawa, 20, in the crowd.

"If anybody acts up, I just start chanting, 'Four more years!'" said Zabawa, a Drexel University student.

Thespis
17th September 04, 05:47 PM
We do not directly elect a President (the last election should have made that clear to everyone). Polls are only a good indication when you look at individual states and then determine who stands to win those electoral votes. National percentages are fairly useless in determining the outcome of Presidential elections.

I suspect at this point that Bush will in fact win but probably will not gain 50% of the vote. In the key battle ground states he has managed to get some traction due to the fact that Kerry apparently has somebody with the intellectual level of Thespis running his campaign.

I agree with everything except of course the last sentence. If I were running Kerry's campaign, he'd win. As it is, my guess is that Kerry is mostly running his own campain, which explains a lot.