PDA

View Full Version : Bush can suspend the Geneva Convention now?

Kyzz
23rd June 04, 03:17 AM
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040623/D83CIOMO1.html

Bush's previously secret Feb. 7, 2002, order also agrees with Justice and Pentagon lawyers that a president can ignore U.S. law and treaties.

"I accept the legal conclusion of the Attorney General and the Department of Justice that I have the authority to suspend Geneva (conventions) as between the United States and Afghanistan," Bush wrote. "I reserve the right to exercise this authority in this or future conflicts."

Seriously, wtf?

Yiktin Voxbane
23rd June 04, 04:21 AM
Oh Dear Deity of my choice....

So in theory , the rest of the world *Could* be in the same place @ Afghanistan, Should GWB Deem it so...

Cybsled
23rd June 04, 07:18 AM
Pretty much. Is it really so much of a stretch, considering the "Patriot" act runs circles around the Constitution in our own country? GG!

imported_Philbert
23rd June 04, 07:24 AM
God bless America.

Shriker
23rd June 04, 08:07 AM
Go Kerry :(

Flare
23rd June 04, 10:06 AM
God, I'm no fan of Kerry, but fuck me with a stick... I'll vote for him just to get Bush out of office.

I bet he's certifiably insane if people look closely.

beck
23rd June 04, 10:08 AM
Someday I hope to wake up, and this has all been a dream.

Luko
23rd June 04, 10:26 AM
Are the nation that actually signed the Geneva Convention the ones protected by it? I mean did Afghanistan current government support Geneva Convention or themselve violated enough of it rules to make it suspendable?

I am no way backing Bush. I just think there is more to be told.

Ouden
23rd June 04, 10:51 AM
They've already been pushing to have American soldiers immune from war crime charges.

Sithray
23rd June 04, 12:32 PM
They've already been pushing to have American soldiers immune from war crime charges.

American soldiers who are deemed "peacekeepers" (Which are troops who are occupying a country which is not under declaration of war) have been exempt from war crimes since 2002. That runs out at the end of this month.

The UN would not allow it to be renewed and the US will not pursue the matter.

Hurricane Aegien
23rd June 04, 12:32 PM
Pretty much. Is it really so much of a stretch, considering the "Patriot" act runs circles around the Constitution in our own country? GG!

I think what you meant here was

"...runs circles around the Constitution in our own country? GW!"

Phrost
23rd June 04, 12:43 PM
Why the fuck can't we have both a "Strong on Defense" and "Strong on Civil Liberties" candidate?

Godfucking damnit I'm so sick of our politics.

Bukow
23rd June 04, 01:12 PM
Why the fuck can't we have both a "Strong on Defense" and "Strong on Civil Liberties" candidate?

We did. But we saw what happened to Goldwater. The Republicans don't want to repeat that loss, while the Democrats are notoriously ambivalent about defense and think freedom of speech is the only liberty worthy of protection.

December
23rd June 04, 01:22 PM
...freedom of speech is the only liberty worthy of protection.

But only if you agree with them.

Bukow
23rd June 04, 01:24 PM
But only if you agree with them.

True, but I was exempting a representative of the hardcore, professoriat left, because even the Democrats have more sense than nominating a candidate who is going to alienate everyone to the right of Trotsky.

beck
23rd June 04, 02:07 PM
http://www.intel-dump.com/

imported_Solaris Flare
23rd June 04, 02:51 PM

John Mccain is the best person for that to bad bush beat him for the Rep nomination. =~(

Phrost
23rd June 04, 03:02 PM
Yeah, but he's mixed up with the boxing industry and as such directly campaigned against Mixed Martial Arts (which will eventually take over boxing anyway).

Not that that's a serious reason to dig on the guy, but it irked me personally.

And I never got the impression that he was strong on civil liberties myself.

Chantress
23rd June 04, 05:07 PM
McCain is a classic social liberal and militaristic conservative. Look at his voting record on campaign finance reform and such.

Xioxou
24th June 04, 12:26 AM
I would vote for McCain in a heartbeat. Unfortunately my party of choice saw fit NOT to nominate the best candidate and instead go with Kerry. *cough*Clark*cough*

Phrost
24th June 04, 09:51 AM
Clark was a nimrod. I worked for him (albeit WAY down the chain of command). Even his fellow generals thought he was a douche.

Rizzenn
24th June 04, 12:01 PM
Giuliani 2008!

joen00b
24th June 04, 12:18 PM
Faith Based Executive Orders. (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040601-1.html)

This scares baby Jesus (the Mexican kid down the hall) more than anything.

Phrost
24th June 04, 02:07 PM
Our choices this election unfortunately boil down to little more than a Southpark rendition of American politics:

Aging hippie liberal douche vs. Warmongering hubristic redneck.

Again, you need to compare prospective (and existing) cabinets and staff more than you do the presidents themselves.

Ashcroft scares me, but Condi, Rummy, and Powell I like.

And I fear the cabinet appointed by Kerry, sight unseen.