PDA

View Full Version : Dog Bites Horse in Chaotic Park Incident w/movie

Luko
25th November 03, 02:05 PM
http://beta.kpix.com/news/local/2003/11/24/Dog_Owner_Faces_Citation_in_Park_Melee.html

Dog Owner Faces Citation in Park Melee

Triple A Andy suffered nine wounds.
Manuel Ramos reports

A pit bull adopted from the SPCA attacked a police horse in Golden Gate Park when the owner apparently let the dog of its leash.

Monday, the horse Triple-A Andy was recovering from nine wounds inflicted in Sunday's wild melee.

Police say it all started when an unleashed pit bull went after the horse. Sgt. David Herrera was thrown when Triple-A Andy reared and kicked the dog's owner. The horse then took off and the pit bull gave chase. Another officer then shot the dog.

The dog's owner will be cited for letting her pit bull attack another animal, and for having her dog off its leash.

deadcat
25th November 03, 02:09 PM
good

JustiNIC
25th November 03, 02:21 PM
I say just fine her out the ass, you never know if the dog was trying to play with it or not, and everyone should get a second chance.

Kwill
25th November 03, 02:24 PM
Here's the story:

A pit bull was shot, a cop and a dog walker were rushed to the hospital, and a police horse named "AAA Andy" was badly hurt but alive -- all this after a chance encounter between two animals on a crisp Sunday at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.

The chaos started at 12:50 p.m. as a young woman walked her black pit bull through the park near the Conservatory of Flowers. According to San Francisco police, she made an illegal and costly decision: She let the dog off its leash.

Witnessing the move was police Sgt. David Herrera of the department's mounted unit. He shouted at the woman, ordering her to re-leash her canine, said Sgt. Neville Gittens, a department spokesman.

That's when the dog turned its attention to Herrera's steed.

The pit bull charged AAA Andy, ripping at the horse's flesh on its back legs and its rib cage, Gittens said. The dog's owner, whose name was not released, tried to intervene. That's when things got really bad.

With the dog snapping away, AAA Andy threw Herrera to the ground. At about the same time, the dog's owner attempted to pull her pet away from the horse. But when she got close, AAA Andy kicked her in the face with a hind leg,

Gittens said.

She went down, joining Herrera.

"Then the horse takes off running," Gittens said.

AAA Andy galloped through the park along John F. Kennedy Drive, with the pit bull close behind.

About a half-mile away, near the Eighth Avenue/Fulton Street entrance to the park, another police sergeant got involved. Sgt. Peter Dacre of San Francisco's Richmond Station had heard Herrera's radio calls for help.

Seeing a park gardener and another citizen approaching the riderless AAA Andy, the uniformed Dacre climbed out of his car to help settle down the jumpy horse.

"Then somebody shouted, 'That buggering dog is coming back!' " Dacre said.

"The dog started having another go at the horse. I was between the horse and the dog, and I tried to kick (the dog)."

It was no use. Dacre said he unholstered his .40-calibre semiautomatic Beretta pistol and ended the attack with two shots -- one of which struck the pit bull and sent it scurrying into nearby bushes.

Both Herrera and the dog owner were rushed to St. Mary's Medical Center. Herrera went home in a few hours with back and neck injuries. The woman was treated for head injuries and a broken finger, Gittens said.

Meanwhile, the dog survived the bullet wound and was picked up by Animal Care and Control. Its condition was unknown Sunday night.

AAA Andy was being treated for puncture wounds late Sunday at the police stables in Golden Gate Park.

Herrera, reached at home Sunday night, declined comment.

Police will review the dog's history to see if it has ever been involved in other attacks. Then police will decide whether to cite or charge the dog's owner, Dacre said.

"I think this just goes to the basic unpredictability of certain breeds of dogs," he said. "The dog was frenzied. The whole thing lasted about 45 seconds.''

I don't think the dog was playing. This was all over the horse forums today, with the inevitable "pit bulls are dangerous" discussion.

JustiNIC
25th November 03, 02:28 PM
Yeah, pit bulls are an iffy subject. However, the owner apologized and stated that she just hopes that she can get her dog back. I think she's learned her lesson and should be given another chance. She obviously cares about her animal and meant no harm from any of this.

Kwill
25th November 03, 02:33 PM
Update:

The pit bull mix that attacked a police horse in Golden Gate Park belonged to an SPCA volunteer who took the dog to senior centers to comfort the elderly and liked to let it run free in the park.

On Monday, the SPCA volunteer, Anna Klafter, was recovering from a possible fractured skull and other injuries she suffered the day before when she tried to pull her 4-year-old dog, Nettie, away from the horse. The horse, which injured Klafter when it kicked her in the face, was trying to get its bearings back to the police stables in Golden Gate Park. The police officer who was riding the horse was getting over a back injury.

And Nettie was at the vet, suffering from a gunshot wound and facing a police hearing on her fate.

The dog attacked the police horse, named AAA Andy, on Sunday afternoon when Klafter let her off her leash to play with other dogs near the Conservatory of Flowers, something she had done before. The dog had been through extensive training and behavior tests that had shown her to be sociable, Klafter said, so she didn't see any harm in it.

Just the day before, Klafter had taken Nettie to the Fillmore Institute on Aging to be with elderly clients as part of a program run by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Nettie is great with people, she said.

"She's never shown any aggression to people, kids or other dogs," said Klafter, 27, who has owned Nettie since June 2002. "I think she was freaked out by seeing a horse for the first time."

The area near the conservatory is not one of Golden Gate Park's 24 designated off-leash areas, and Sgt. David Herrera, who was patrolling on horseback, ordered Klafter to put Nettie on a leash.

The black pit bull charged toward the police horse, biting its leg and belly. Klafter tried to regain control of Nettie from underneath the horse and was struck in the face with a hoof. Besides the possible skull fracture, she suffered a broken finger and head laceration.

Herrera suffered a back injury caused when he fell from the horse. Another officer shot Nettie, who is expected to survive -- at least for now.

Police Sgt. William Herndon said he would hold a hearing Dec. 11 to determine what would happen to the dog. "We might determine that it was just an unfortunate accident and do nothing," he said. "Or I could order the dog destroyed and prevent (Klafter) from owning a dog again."

Citations issued

Klafter was slapped with two citations for having a dog off leash and for keeping a dog that bit another animal. Each carries a fine of less than $100.

Police hear 10 to 15 cases involving aggressive dogs each month, Herndon said. He said the department had become more likely to take dogs away from their owners since the fatal mauling of Diane Whipple by two Presa Canarios in January 2001.

But officials who trained and tested Nettie said the dog belonged with kids and old folks, not in the pound.

Klafter adopted Nettie from the SPCA, where she has volunteered for more than two years, sometimes leading dog-training classes. Nettie's previous owners gave her to the city's Animal Care and Control Department because they were moving to an apartment where dogs were not allowed, said Daniel Crain, president of the SPCA.

Tested twice

Nettie was given basic behavior evaluations by Animal Care and Control in addition to an aggression test for pit bulls.

"We make sure they are good companions who like to be hugged and petted," said Deb Campbell, a spokeswoman for Animal Care and Control.

She was tested again by the SPCA and trained for animal assisted therapy, a 22-year-old program in which dogs are taken to homeless shelters, children's hospitals and nursing homes to interact with people.

Netty received references from eight people after Klafter adopted her, including animal trainers from the SPCA and Animal Care and Control, and received no negative reports.

First horse

Though Nettie's response to children and seniors was tested, she had never met a horse, Crain said. The novelty may have caused her to give way to her aggressive instincts, he said.

Sgt. Phil Downs of the San Francisco police equestrian unit said AAA Andy was fine, but he fears the horse may be more than skittish when confronted with dogs in the future.

"The horse is good,'' Downs said. "The ill effects will be seen down the road. Unfortunately, a horse has a long memory.''

The animal, named for its donor, the local American Automobile Association, suffered five superficial wounds to its belly, where the dog tried to bite it. It has a larger wound on its right rear leg. "The dog chased,

but luckily, the dog didn't lock on'' to the leg, Downs said.

The department has had the 11-year-old horse since 1998.

Herrera is in "a great deal of discomfort," Downs said, and will be off- duty for about a week. Herrera suffered the back injury when the horse went down after starting to sink its hooves in a muddy patch on a slope.

Police said dogs were a constant problem for the department's mounted patrol.

"This is the biggest hazard we face," Downs said. "We hear all the time, 'Oh, I didn't know that the dog would attack the horse.' "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PIT BULL PRIMER -- Pit bulls were originally bred in 19th century England to fight other dogs in pits. -- The breed was created by crossing a bulldog with a fox terrier. -- Pit bulls also have been known as bull-and-terriers, half-and-halfs, old family dogs and pit bull terriers. -- They are stocky, muscular, strong and endowed with an unusually large jaw.
-- They measure 18-22 inches tall and weigh up to 80 pounds. They come in various colors but are mostly black or brown.

Flare
25th November 03, 02:54 PM
People in cities, that have to walk their dogs in parks, should not have dogs. If you want a dog and live in the city, you should have a small dog that can be kept in doors and that does not require outdoor activities.

It's just criminal to subject a dog that belongs outdoors to being cooped up to infrequent and short lived romps in the local park.

Saoshen Sih`ja`Tgzu
25th November 03, 02:57 PM
I think they should put all 4 to sleep... horse dog cop woman...

Kwill
25th November 03, 02:59 PM
I used to let my collies run in the dog park to get exercise, and I stopped because frankly, letting your dog out amongst strange dogs ends up in injuries, even when they are friendly.

And I agree with Flare, I placed my collies on a farm because they needed a lot more room to run and get exercize than I could give them.

Kwill
25th November 03, 03:01 PM
Maybe they should let AAA Andy paint during his convelsecence:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2767432636&category=429

Horsing around with art benefits Thoroughbreds
By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

Since these athletes-turned-artists let their art speak for itself, we can only guess about the source of their inspiration.

But Shon Wylie, who helps retired Thoroughbred racehorses become painters, suggests food is a factor. When Wylie approaches them with paint on a palette, she says, "They wonder if it's food and stick their nose right in it." Then the horses are offered a canvas, "and they want to rub the paint off."

Et voilà! Don't laugh. After humans ponied up as much as $6,000 for one of these art objects in an exhibit last year at a Kentucky gallery, they're going online — with about 10 pieces this week on eBay.

Wylie is executive director of ReRun Inc., a Millersburg, Ky.-based non-profit group that tries to ease the retired racers into second careers, such as show jumping or dressage, by caring for them until they're adopted. She says the paintings are meant to raise money to help save horses whose artistic potential is being extinguished even before it's explored: "A lot of these horses, even with groups like ours, go to slaughter when they no longer make money."

While many horses paint with their heads, Wylie says, others use tails or hooves. Cigar, who won the 1995 Breeders' Cup Classic and nearly $10 million in total race winnings, chose to put a paintbrush in his teeth. "He likes to play with stuff in his mouth," says Wylie, who held up Cigar's canvas. "It was the funniest thing."

ReRun, previewing upcoming works at www.rerun.org, promises art from noted racers including Funny Cide. The first pieces on eBay — produced by famed racers Candy Ride, who won last summer's $1 million Pacific Classic, and Free House, who had about $3.2 million in career winnings — were fetching more than $300 Monday.

Luko
25th November 03, 03:21 PM
People in cities, that have to walk their dogs in parks, should not have dogs. If you want a dog and live in the city, you should have a small dog that can be kept in doors and that does not require outdoor activities.

It's just criminal to subject a dog that belongs outdoors to being cooped up to infrequent and short lived romps in the local park.

Golden Gate park is not a small park. It rather large housing a Zoo and tons of other stuff like outdoor concert area. Even with those two thing it still not small it 8x larger then those two area added together.

Kiko
25th November 03, 04:36 PM
Maybe the horse smelled too much like Alpo?

Sorry.. someone was gonna say it sooner or later. I hope all creatures and people involved will recover and learn something.

Luko
25th November 03, 05:27 PM
Maybe it was the same old my dick bigger then your dick theory?

Kwill
25th November 03, 06:32 PM
This post from someone on another board, who has pit bulls:

What a sad incident. As an owner of two pit bulls, these stories tend to get me a lot of undeserved flak for owning such dogs.
1) This dog may not be a pit bull. First it was a pit, them it was a pit mix, then they said it appeared to be a pit mix. According to the news, they can't say for sure what the dog is. When these news reports get to the media the name Pit Bull is always added to add sensationlism to the story.
2) I would wager to say it wouldn't be much out of character for any dog to see a horse as a frightened prey animal and go after it. My neighbors German Shorhair pointer has chased my horses into a fenzy numerous times( ), and I have a horse that was bitten by a rottweiler a few years ago.
I hope that the horse, dog, officer, and owner heal well.