PDA

View Full Version : Turkey!!

Kiko
2nd November 03, 05:58 PM
http://www.shadybrookfarms.com/pix/turkey.jpg

Post your favorite recipes, turkey tips and all NOW, so we can try them out for the holidays! Include any side dishes and of course.. PIE!!!

Xesor
2nd November 03, 06:07 PM
Fried is the bestest!

Wrapped in Bacon and smothered with maple syrup isn't bad either.

Kiko
2nd November 03, 06:09 PM
I do make a bacon lattice, like a pie crust and put it over the breast, then wrap the legs in bacon. Close to 2 lbs and it's NEVER dry.

orcmauler
2nd November 03, 06:09 PM
mmm that sounds good, though artery clogging xesor.

I have yet to try a fried turkey though it seems to be the easiest way to cook one, barring getting the gallons of oil and the cooker, not to mention igniting your house.

edit: forgot my family's tradition

We serve turkey and country (i.e. salt cure) ham as the main "meats" of turkey day. My foster family is not a big pie family, as cakes and other sweets like fudge tend to be the dessert of the day. My "real" family is the opposite, as pecan/coconut/sweet potato pies are the desserts in their household.

I don't know about the rest of you folks but I am a stuffing (i.e. stove top) junkie. I tend to eat more of that than turkey or other meat offerings.

Xesor
2nd November 03, 06:18 PM
I do make a bacon lattice, like a pie crust and put it over the breast, then wrap the legs in bacon. Close to 2 lbs and it's NEVER dry.

Yeah, that's what we've done the past two years. Good stuff, but not even half as good as fried. :(

As for artery clogging, c'mon, it's THANKSGIVING. Fuck diets, doctors, and nutritionists, and eat GOOD. :)

Tetsou
2nd November 03, 06:24 PM
Fried turkey is mass goood. Can't say much for the holiday and it's requisite traditions though, I tend to go for fried turkey no matter what thursday it is.

Phrost
2nd November 03, 06:26 PM
Fried turkey takes the point of turkey away... that it's so dry you need copious ammounts of gravy to smother it in.

Sveva
2nd November 03, 06:27 PM
Yeah, that's what we've done the past two years. Good stuff, but not even half as good as fried. :(

As for artery clogging, c'mon, it's THANKSGIVING. Fuck diets, doctors, and nutritionists, and eat GOOD. :)

I agree with 101% of what this man has said here today, especially the diet part.

Tenebrae Vision
2nd November 03, 06:46 PM
Fried is the bestest!

It was HONEY you `tard! :(

As for it being all fattening.. you're not eating the bacon and if you don't eat the skin, it's not all that bad. You're just using it for flavoring :P

Anyone interested in recipe for some kick ass twice baked potatoes or are we stuck on mashed/sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving?

Kiko
2nd November 03, 06:48 PM
YES!! Tell us how to cook 'taters!!

Xesor
2nd November 03, 06:51 PM
For whatever reason your post reminded me of this:

Sam (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000276/): What we need is a few good taters.
Gollum (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0785227/): What's taters, precious? What's taters, eh?
Sam (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000276/): Po-tay-toes. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.
Sam (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000276/): Even you couldn't say no to that.
Gollum (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0785227/): Oh yes we could! Spoilin' nice fish. Give it to us raw and wrigglin'. You keep nasty chips!
Sam (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000276/): You're hopeless.

Tetsou
2nd November 03, 07:03 PM
Fried turkey takes the point of turkey away... that it's so dry you need copious ammounts of gravy to smother it in.

Not that I have the slighest idea how to properly fry a turkey, but I've had fried turkey that was anything but dry. I think the idea is to have the oil so hot you don't cook it for very long... if I had to guess.

Tenebrae Vision
2nd November 03, 07:05 PM
Twice Baked Potatoes

4 good sized idahos (big enough to stuff, too small and they'll fall apart when you scoop em)
1 pint sour cream
1 - 2 cups of shredded chedder cheese (2 cups if you want them REALLY cheesy)
Garlic powder

Bake your spuds til done. (you can cheat and nuke em til they're soft in the middle) Cut a hole the full length of the potato and about 1 - 1 1/2 inches wide in the top. Scoop out the insides, and put in a bowl on the side, til you JUST have enough potato on the skin to keep it's shape.

In the bowl with the innards, mix in entire pint of sour cream, chedder cheese (save a little cheese for the top), and garlic powder (to taste). Mash it all together til sour cream/cheese are evenly distributed.

Take the mixture and fill the potatoes. It'll overstuff them a bit, but that's how it's supposed to be. Sprinkle a small amount of chedder cheese on top. Now bake at 425° for 10mins or til cheese on top has melted and gotten slightly golden and bubbly.

Recipe is easily adjustable for more or less taters!

Anyone who makes em, lemme know how they turned out!

Xesor
2nd November 03, 07:11 PM
Not that I have the slighest idea how to properly fry a turkey, but I've had fried turkey that was anything but dry. I think the idea is to have the oil so hot you don't cook it for very long... if I had to guess.
That's a correct guess.

And if I had to guess, I'd say Phrack was being sarcastic. Or he just likes gravy, alot.

Veldriss
2nd November 03, 07:12 PM

he meant roast turkey was dry, i think, bitz :)

that sounds really nice, Sky. We dont celebrate Thanksgiving obviously, but I think i might have to give those a try.

beck
2nd November 03, 07:20 PM
mashed sweet potatos
copious amounts of butter, kahlua and brown sugar
mix all together bake til it's cooked, eat it.

Tetsou
2nd November 03, 07:32 PM
I am content in my ignorance. :)

Sahpra
2nd November 03, 07:36 PM
Those potatoes sound yummy... going to have to give them a try this year -- Thanks!!!

Sahpra

Soulmirror
2nd November 03, 09:18 PM
Vicki's Turkey

Turkey
Butter, melted
Kahlua
Apricot preserves

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Rub cleaned turkey with unsalted shortening or butter. Cover the bird with
a piece of cheesecloth soaked in melted, unsalted butter. Reduce the heat
to 350 and place turkey in oven.

Make glaze of equal parts Kahlua and apricot preserves. Sounds weird, but
it is delicious. Baste turkey with glaze right over the top of the
cheesecloth. (The taste actually permeates the meat.)

Peel the cloth off before presentation (bird is a dark, rich brown) and
serve w/ sauce.

Vicki's notes:

* The basic technique is from "Joy of Cooking," although Rombauer says to
put it on a rack. The glaze is from the Kahlua company.

* The only time I used pop-up indicators is when I was given turkeys that
had them. I ignored the indicator --> used standard cooking chart for
weight (should be on turkey). You know how the turkey keeps cooking even
when it's not in the oven? Sure enough, after he had been out of oven long
enough to serve, the indicator FINALLY popped up!

Colaiel
2nd November 03, 11:25 PM

Fried turkey is the juiciest turkey you will ever taste. My first introduction had been injected with a cajun sauce amd marinated in honey. Dear God that was good. Dripping juice with ever bite.

Voompa
3rd November 03, 08:50 PM
Scalloped Yams with Praline Topping

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
6 medium yams (about 3 pounds), peeled and cut in 1/2-in-thick rounds
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, heated

In a small bowl, using your fingers (weee!), work the brown sugar, butter, and flour together until well combined, then work in the pecans. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the yams and cook just until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook--they should be able to hold their shape when drained. Drain and rinse under cold running water.

Preheat the over to 375 F. Lightly butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.

Arrange the yams, overlapping in vertical rows, in the prepared dish. (The yams can be arranged in the baking dish up to 8 hours before baking, covered tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerated.)

Pour the cream over the yams. Bake for 20 minutes. Crumble the pecan mixture over the yams and continue baking until the yams are tender and the topping is browned, 20-30 more minutes. Serve hot.

===============

I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes or yams but these are good! I found this recipe when I was looking for something else to make besides the marshmellow/yam concoction.

Xesor
3rd November 03, 08:57 PM
I am not waiting for Thanksgiving to make those, and damn what my family wants!

Diggler McFeely
3rd November 03, 09:01 PM
Ground pork in stuffing. Just imagine.

Tenebrae Vision
27th November 03, 05:17 PM

===============

I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes or yams but these are good! I found this recipe when I was looking for something else to make besides the marshmellow/yam concoction.

Holy cow.. those were fantastic!! Thanks for sharing!

Xesor
27th November 03, 10:44 PM

This stuff was great!

Stabu
27th November 03, 10:51 PM
Damn, I didn't know Voompa was all domesticated and stuff.

vilesoul
28th November 03, 04:14 AM
I like my mom's recipe.

Very simple, make a small turkey a week earlier, collect the juices.

Place the thanksgivin turkey in the cooking bag, and add the juices from teh previous one, season with a few seasonings (she won't tell me, darnit), and throw it in the oven. Comes out so tender it's almost like a juicy chicken...fucking delish....Hmm time to raid the leftovers :D

Voompa
30th November 03, 10:47 AM

I'm multi-talented. ;)

I'm glad Khasha and Xexor liked the yams. Yummy.

Kela
30th November 03, 10:49 AM
Took me long enough to realize it was a female let alone anything else about it.

Tenebrae Vision
30th November 03, 04:57 PM
I'm multi-talented. ;)

I'm glad Khasha and Xexor liked the yams. Yummy.

We did indeed, so did our guests, and the biggest food critic/picky eater of all.. my 10 year old daughter ;)

Voompa
30th November 03, 07:03 PM
Amazing! I tried to get my brother to eat them but I think he was determined not to like them since he hates yams. He said "Well, they aren't bad." ;)

Veldriss
30th November 03, 07:10 PM
wtf is a yams?

Voompa
30th November 03, 07:14 PM
sweet potato

Veldriss
30th November 03, 07:23 PM
aha

Zaxum
30th November 03, 07:24 PM
aka gross potato

orcmauler
30th November 03, 07:52 PM
aka gross potato
WTF are you on crack? Sweet Potatoes are the shit in any form. Good for you too prior to the 2 tons of butter and sugar most put on it, lots of beta caroteine (sp) and fiber.

Tetsou
30th November 03, 08:46 PM
aka gross potato

I vehemetly disagree.

Kela
30th November 03, 09:00 PM
A very nasty food item. If they were that good people would cook them year round.

orcmauler
30th November 03, 11:32 PM
A very nasty food item. If they were that good people would cook them year round.
I do, but I am strange and from the south and was raised on them.

Kiko
26th November 04, 07:31 AM
Thanks, Voompa!!

Luko
26th November 04, 12:53 PM
wtf is a yams?

There used to be a brand called "Logs". I grew up calling sweet potatoes Logs anytime I wanted them.

vilesoul
26th November 04, 04:31 PM
Yams are soooooo good. I was in hog heaven last night with how many Yam dishes there were....Mmm even sweet potato pie for dessert.

On anohter note...I think I gained a few thousand pounds :(

Thespis
26th November 04, 05:09 PM
We have these here fairly often. I was sad that my mom did not fix any for dinner yesterday. She has a very similar recipe, only she adds melted marshmellows over the top of the dish after putting in the melted butter, brown sugar, pecan mix. Mmm, mmm, good.

Voompa
27th November 04, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Voompa!!

You're welcome! I'm glad someone made it. I made it again this year and was told my someone that they didn't like sweet potatoes but these were actually good. As soon as they get a bite of the pecan stuff, everything else tastes good too. ;)

Kiko
21st November 05, 06:04 PM
Bumped because I wanted Voompa's recipe again. Resurrected in case anyone wants to add recipe suggestions. Did you get your turkey yet?? THAW IT OUT!!

Veldriss
21st November 05, 06:58 PM
WTF it isnt Turkey Time for another month! Crazy Yanks :(

We have a nice big fresh bird ordered though. Should be here the thursday before Christmas, where it will repose in the car boot until the big day. Nothing like a fresh organic Kelly Bronze to make you want to get up at 6am to put the fucking thing in the oven :(

Cilumbik
22nd November 05, 12:39 AM
We celebrate Thanksgiving you stupid Brit.

deadcat
22nd November 05, 12:56 AM
We celebrate Thanksgiving you stupid Brit.
Hahahha.

Also, yams are teh win. They usually have them once a week at the dining facility I frequent.

Veldriss
22nd November 05, 07:10 AM
omg, REALLY? Thanksgiving? I HAD NO CLUE.

I really hope you never reproduce.

Kiko
22nd November 05, 09:00 AM

Yet another thing we'd be thankful for, along with yams!

Riddeck
22nd November 05, 11:59 AM
Prepare your turkey how you like, but do try this.

Take a some butter. Not a tremendous amount..but more than you need, and place slices of it under the skin of the turkey. However you season the top *At work we just did Maple/Bacon wrapped turkey. I was suprised how yummy it actually was.

For potatoes...

Sweet potatoes. Sliced thick, boiled till almost al dente, set aside. Take mini marshmallows, brown sugar, crushed pecans, and butter, and make a topping by combining all ingredients...almost to the consistancy of a strusel topping. Apply liberally over all the sweet potato in a baking pan, and bake until top is brown.

I am sure there are a few more. Had I been in Chi town already and had parents in, I was going to make Butternut squash Raviolis as part of the main dish, Cornish hens, instead of turkey. But that did not happen. 8 )

*EDIT*

I clearly did not read most of this..but I say to Kela, about the yams...

Generally they are most expensive, and, I myself eat them, at least once a month. I like to mix a few with regular white potato for mashed, as it gives it a little flavour. I imagine if you could by a bag of yams at the same cost as whites, people would eat em more.

Merauk
22nd November 05, 08:45 PM
<marquee>RAUKS KOSHER TURKEY SURPRISE</marquee>

I first shave the turkey and remove any personal items it may have. After this is complete I lead it to a windowless room for a "shower" at which point poison gas is released (I find using car exhaust leaves a bit of an after taste). Once the turkey is clearly dead I remove any gold/silver fillings from its mouth and chuck it into the oven till nice a toasty. Carefully remove the skin when you are carving (you can make excellent lamp shades from turkey skin). After you have finished eating the turkey the left over bits can be rendered down into soap which you can use to wash up.

Cilumbik
22nd November 05, 09:02 PM

I'll make sure to donate sperm to a sperm bank.

Derreck
22nd November 05, 09:13 PM
he meant roast turkey was dry, i think, bitz :)

that sounds really nice, Sky. We dont celebrate Thanksgiving obviously, but I think i might have to give those a try.

Not celebrating Thanksgiving?! That's just... un-American!

Riddeck
22nd November 05, 11:36 PM
<marquee>RAUKS KOSHER TURKEY SURPRISE</marquee>

I first shave the turkey and remove any personal items it may have. After this is complete I lead it to a windowless room for a "shower" at which point poison gas is released (I find using car exhaust leaves a bit of an after taste). Once the turkey is clearly dead I remove any gold/silver fillings from its mouth and chuck it into the oven till nice a toasty. Carefully remove the skin when you are carving (you can make excellent lamp shades from turkey skin). After you have finished eating the turkey the left over bits can be rendered down into soap which you can use to wash up.

Yeah..there was another group of people that were just following orders...they were called Nazis!

"Fuckin Nazi"

Merauk
23rd November 05, 01:38 PM
Yeah..there was another group of people that were just following orders...they were called Nazis!

We call people who take orders in America waiters.

Riddeck
23rd November 05, 05:43 PM
We call people who take orders in America waiters.

It was a movie quote..but no one cares.

Kiko
20th November 06, 05:55 PM
Bumped so I can find Voompa's recipe easily later this week.
Also because I didn't want to start another thread. Post recipes whether Thanksgiving or other holiday or large meals like Turkey/huge roast hunk of meat.
No protesting Thanksgiving.. start your own thread for that, please!

Ragout
23rd November 06, 10:52 PM
the butter under the skin is the way to go, but I had to do that to 300 18 pound turkeys at work over the past 2 days. It got to be somewhat erotic around turkey #118.

WarPhalange
23rd November 06, 11:07 PM
Our turkey had two hearts.

Truculent Sheep
24th November 06, 05:40 AM
Turkey-And-Mushroom Tikka Massala - the Alpha and Omega of dishes.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th November 06, 09:05 AM

This poster has probably died since posting this.

Kiko
24th November 06, 02:56 PM
Why? I covered our turkey with 2 lbs of bacon lattice all over the breast, which was stuffed as well as the cavity. Bacon in a 325-350 oven for hours cooks while it bastes the bird.
Today's leftovers ROCK.

Kiko
14th November 07, 03:16 PM
Seasonal bumpage.

Olorin
15th November 07, 03:35 AM
I have a question, can any of you make a stuffing (in the bird) that does not dry out the meat, while remaining safe (gets stuffing above 165 degrees)?

Olorin
15th November 07, 03:37 AM

No dam it! Do not dry out the bird!

jubei33
15th November 07, 03:57 AM
Garlic mashed potatoes:
boil peeled potatoes, mash.
Mash garlic, chop generous amt of parsely.
mix 5 or so tblsp butter and 1/2 cup of heavy cream (probably 3/4 to 1 cup of half and half..? as much as you need really)
blend everything with salt and pepper to taste.

Mas
15th November 07, 04:19 AM
Teh Real Mashed Potatoes:

1.) Boil peeled potatoes, mash.
2.) Garlic + Sage, stir.
3.) Put one brick (1) of cream cheese into potatoes. Mix well.
4.) Sal y Pimienta.

Orgasmic really.

jubei33
15th November 07, 05:25 AM
ohhh, i just got served :)

sage is a nice addition, though

Japanese favorite: potato soup

Dice a few potatoes, and some leeks. chop some onion, shitake mushrooms and also add celery all in a pot with 4 cups chicken broth.
add a little butter
simmer on low-medium heat for 30 mins
Add 1 cup or so of milk.
Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

Kiko
15th November 07, 06:31 AM
I have a question, can any of you make a stuffing (in the bird) that does not dry out the meat, while remaining safe (gets stuffing above 165 degrees)?

Yes, but I'll have to post it later when I get home from work and try to write down the things I do from memory...

Kiko
21st November 07, 05:31 PM
Update.... Just made Voompa's Yams (for that is how they are now known) for the first time. WOW.

I added a few things. Some ground clove and cardamom to the topping. And the rest of the stick of unsalted butter to the heated cream. Also used more topping ingredients because I had extra pecans. A tiny taste was heavenly! My younger daughter who usually eats 'em just for the marshmallows said she prefers VOOMPA'S!

Steve
21st November 07, 05:43 PM
Voompa: 1

Kiko: 0

;-P

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cullion
21st November 07, 06:13 PM
I've gotten bored with Turkey because of the dryness. I recently realised it hadn't become popular at Christmas (and your Thanksgiving across the pond) because it was some incredibly tasty gourmet food, but because they were relatively plentiful, cheap to raise birds that were easy to feed a large family from.

I think I'm going to try a Goose this Christmas. Goose used to be the bird of choice for the upper middle and upper class, and a couple of generations of economic growth have seen to it that most fully-employed members of my generation can afford it.

ironlurker
21st November 07, 11:53 PM
I've gotten bored with Turkey because of the dryness. I recently realised it hadn't become popular at Christmas (and your Thanksgiving across the pond) because it was some incredibly tasty gourmet food, but because they were relatively plentiful, cheap to raise birds that were easy to feed a large family from.

I think I'm going to try a Goose this Christmas. Goose used to be the bird of choice for the upper middle and upper class, and a couple of generations of economic growth have seen to it that most fully-employed members of my generation can afford it.
"Do you know the Poulterer's, in the next street but one, at the corner?" Cullion inquired.

"I should hope I did," replied the lad.

"An intelligent boy!" said Cullion. "A remarkable boy! Do you know whether they"ve sold the prize Goose that was hanging up there -- Not the little prize Goose: the big one?"

"What, the one as big as me?" returned the boy.

"What a delightful boy!" said Cullion. "It's a pleasure to talk to him. Yes, my buck."

"It's hanging there now," replied the boy.

"Is it?" said Cullion. "Go and buy it."

"Walk-er!" exclaimed the boy.

"No, no," said Cullion, "I am in earnest. Go and buy it, and tell them to bring it here, that I may give them the direction where to take it. Come back with the man, and I'll give you a shilling. Come back with him in less than five minutes and I'll give you half-a-crown."

Shawarma
22nd November 07, 09:25 AM
Bah. Humbug!

Kiko
22nd November 07, 09:53 AM
Oke I promised a non dry stuffed turkey.. I'll do my best because it's not from a recipe. The amounts are approximate and you may have to figure the ingredients from the following.....

A few large loaves of bread. Whatever sort you like, white works well. You can use the dried cubed bread or tear the bread up and place on baking sheets (I use my turkey pans and toss the bread bits so they get toasty. The point is to take moisture out because you'll be adding it later. IF you're baking the day before, just turn the oven down and let the bread sit a bit and then turn the oven off.

In a large skillet, melt a generous amount of margarine/butter. Add finely chopped celery, parsley (either kind) and onion. Add herbs - sage, thyme, rosemary and if you want to make it easy, poultry seasoning. The herbs can be fresh or dried. Salt and pepper. Let this simmer until the veggies are soft and then turn off heat.

Beat 4-6 eggs and set them aside. Prepare or open about a quart or two of chicken/poultry stock. Not too hot, you'll see why.

Bread goes into a LARGE bowl/pot/vessel. Celery/onion mixture goes over the bread. Toss a bit with a spoon and then add eggs. Mix a bit more and then add stock slowly. By this time you're going to work with your hands to mix the stuffing. It shouldn't be too wet so add enough stock to make the bread damp.
Now fun. Rinse and stuff the turkey. Fill cavity WITH STUFFING. Gently work the skin over the breast away from the meat. Stuff that space and the stuffing will keep the white meat moist ;)

Lace things up and set the bird in the pan. Now the bacon lattice magic!
Like a pie crust, make lattice with the bacon strips over the entire breast. Wrap the drumsticks and the wings - I like to twist the wings backward so the tips aren't sticking out, but do what you like. I use 2 pounds of bacon for an 18-20 pound bird. Roast at 325 for 15 minutes per pound.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Veldriss
22nd November 07, 12:32 PM
Keep the turkey moist by turning it over at the end to rest so the juices run back into the breast. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has a nice recipe, so does Nigella.

Potatoes roasted in Graisse D'Oie (Goose Fat) are the best EVAR.

Dammit I want christmas dinner now.

Sun Wukong
22nd November 07, 01:19 PM
my thanksgiving has pretty much been shot, everyone here at the house is down with a cold including me. damn it.

Thinkchair
22nd November 07, 01:44 PM
Not a big fan of fried turkey. I like a large roasted turkey with the juices perfectly sealed inside by crispy skin. Give me a turkey leg, a slice of turkey breast, a mound of mash potatoes, yams, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy.

Thinkchair
22nd November 07, 01:53 PM

For Christmas we do Lobster. Everyone in the family gets two lobsters each (baked or boiled). The story of lobster appears to be the opposite of the story of Goose. Here lobster used to be eaten mostly by the lower classes. Now it is a delicacy.

Cullion
22nd November 07, 05:17 PM
"Do you know the Poulterer's, in the next street but one, at the corner?" Cullion inquired.

"I should hope I did," replied the lad.

"An intelligent boy!" said Cullion. "A remarkable boy! Do you know whether they"ve sold the prize Goose that was hanging up there -- Not the little prize Goose: the big one?"

"What, the one as big as me?" returned the boy.

"What a delightful boy!" said Cullion. "It's a pleasure to talk to him. Yes, my buck."

"It's hanging there now," replied the boy.

"Is it?" said Cullion. "Go and buy it."

"Walk-er!" exclaimed the boy.

"No, no," said Cullion, "I am in earnest. Go and buy it, and tell them to bring it here, that I may give them the direction where to take it. Come back with the man, and I'll give you a shilling. Come back with him in less than five minutes and I'll give you half-a-crown."

Admit it, you love it.

Dagon Akujin
22nd November 07, 08:03 PM
For Christmas we do Lobster. Everyone in the family gets two lobsters each (baked or boiled). The story of lobster appears to be the opposite of the story of Goose. Here lobster used to be eaten mostly by the lower classes. Now it is a delicacy.

Leviticus 11:9-12 Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams, you may eat any that have fins and scales. But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to detest. And since you are to detest them, you must not eat their meat and you must detest their carcasses. Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be detestable to you.

HOW UNAMERICAN OF YOU, YOU [email protected]!!!

Cullion
22nd November 07, 08:07 PM
Now we're in the run up to Hannuka and Christmas, I'm going to post the best goose recipe I can find after testing it out on my wife and kids.

My field research starts on Sunday with one of the goose recipes from the classic British 'Mrs. Beaton' cook book.

ironlurker
22nd November 07, 10:00 PM
Admit it, you love it.

your solicitation of young boys? I guess it, uh . . . . adds an interesting character twist?

Thinkchair
22nd November 07, 10:08 PM
Leviticus 11:9-12 Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams, you may eat any that have fins and scales. But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to detest. And since you are to detest them, you must not eat their meat and you must detest their carcasses. Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be detestable to you.

HOW UNAMERICAN OF YOU, YOU [email protected]!!!

Christians don't have to follow Kosher laws. Let us give thanks to St. Paul.

Dagon Akujin
22nd November 07, 10:33 PM
Christians don't have to follow Kosher laws. Let us give thanks to St. Paul.
No, no, no. They have to follow the Kosher laws that most of them don't mind following. They try to force others to do the same, while they all ignore certain ones for completely senseless reasons. (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48674)

Thinkchair
22nd November 07, 10:49 PM
No, no, no. They have to follow the Kosher laws that most of them don't mind following. They try to force others to do the same, while they all ignore certain ones for completely senseless reasons. (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48674)

I don't know about you, but I love lobster.

Dagon Akujin
22nd November 07, 10:54 PM
I don't know about you, but I love teh gh3y buttssecks.

???

Same thing.

Sun Wukong
22nd November 07, 11:06 PM
I don't want to sound queer or nothin' but I think lobster is kick ass.

Dagon Akujin
22nd November 07, 11:39 PM
From Dagon's old blog (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=31836888&blogID=52460275)(and written in 3rd person because 3 is more than 1):

A Little Lesson On Bugs

Kingdom: Metazoan (the Animal Kingdom)
Phylum: Arthopoda
Sub-Phylum: Chelicerata
Class: Merostomata- Horseshoe crabs: practically unchanged in 225 million years.
Class: Arachnida- Spiders, scorpions, ticks, mites, and other frightening things.
Sub-Phylum: Uniramia
Class: Chilopoda- Centipedes: did you know they are predatory?
Class: Diplopoda- Millipedes: they eat dead things, normally.
Class: Insecta- more species of insects exist than all other animal species combined.
Sub-Phylum: Crustacea
Class: Branchiopoda- Water fleas: I wonder if they make shampoos or collars for them.
CLASS: MALACOSTRACA- Shrimp, crabs, lobsters, crayfish, and most other water breathing bugs!

Dagon finds it odd that the mouthbreathing land-breeders have no qualms about masticating with the meat of the malacostraca between their teeth, swallowing the flesh, and then washing it all down with a carbonated beverage. The consumation of a lobster, whether soaked in heart-attack inducing butter or not, is not unlike feeding off of a tarantula or cockroach. Have you ever looked a shrimp in the face? Dagon has, and he doesn't find their collection of mandibles and maxillae to be at all different than those of a grasshopper. Sure, the crustacea have double antennae, unlike the insecta which only have one, but they are all still damn-ugly. Wouldn't you rather put something cute (like a cow, or a platypus, or a cat) in your mouth?

This is why Dagon prefers imitation crab meat.

ironlurker
23rd November 07, 12:35 AM
Locusts are kosher.

Lobsters do eat carrion and, well, shit. Same reason monkfish taste like lobster.
Nothing wrong with them though, if you can get past the cockroach aspect. Cholesterol is high, I think, but if you eat enough lobsters to raise your cholesterol you're rich or have some strange addiction. I had a friend who always called them "cockroach of the sea."

After the nuclear war, cockroaches will rule and they will eat lobster as well.

There's records of maine prison uprisings from a century ago because the inmates were being fed "lobsters and oysters constantly".

edit- on a similar note, they had a recent article about dolphin beachings on the cape, and a woman asked her 90 + neighbor if she was going down to see the dolphins and she said, "No, my freezer is full"

Thinkchair
23rd November 07, 12:38 AM
From Dagon's old blog (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=31836888&blogID=52460275)(and written in 3rd person because 3 is more than 1):

A Little Lesson On Bugs

Kingdom: Metazoan (the Animal Kingdom)
Phylum: Arthopoda
Sub-Phylum: Chelicerata
Class: Merostomata- Horseshoe crabs: practically unchanged in 225 million years.
Class: Arachnida- Spiders, scorpions, ticks, mites, and other frightening things.
Sub-Phylum: Uniramia
Class: Chilopoda- Centipedes: did you know they are predatory?
Class: Diplopoda- Millipedes: they eat dead things, normally.
Class: Insecta- more species of insects exist than all other animal species combined.
Sub-Phylum: Crustacea
Class: Branchiopoda- Water fleas: I wonder if they make shampoos or collars for them.
CLASS: MALACOSTRACA- Shrimp, crabs, lobsters, crayfish, and most other water breathing bugs!

Dagon finds it odd that the mouthbreathing land-breeders have no qualms about masticating with the meat of the malacostraca between their teeth, swallowing the flesh, and then washing it all down with a carbonated beverage. The consumation of a lobster, whether soaked in heart-attack inducing butter or not, is not unlike feeding off of a tarantula or cockroach. Have you ever looked a shrimp in the face? Dagon has, and he doesn't find their collection of mandibles and maxillae to be at all different than those of a grasshopper. Sure, the crustacea have double antennae, unlike the insecta which only have one, but they are all still damn-ugly. Wouldn't you rather put something cute (like a cow, or a platypus, or a cat) in your mouth?

This is why Dagon prefers imitation crab meat.

Don't be a pussy man. Eat it up, its good. The butter is the best part. Shrimp, Crayfish, Crabs, are all good. While I have never had Tarantula I have eaten big spiders while in Cambodia. They were really good. Crunchy. Delicious. I don't know about you but gorging on lobster makes me groggy, delierious and horny all at once. I am going to eat pounds of lobster meat. Bang my wife. And pass out on Christmas eve.

EuropIan
24th November 07, 02:15 PM
I made Voompa's yams for our belated Thanksgiving. They were awesome.

The cloves and cardamon was a good addition Kiko.

Kiko
24th August 08, 07:08 AM
Good thing you moved this or I'd have to bump it for Voompa's Yams!

Don't wait until Thanksgiving, it's almost September!

Kiko
30th October 08, 08:46 AM
Turkey countdown!!

If you're good I'll post my Pirate Pumpkin Pie recipe...

Zendetta
30th October 08, 06:05 PM
I'm going to post the best goose recipe I can find after testing it out on my wife and kids.

You must have a big oven!

I make stuffing with pumpernickel and rye, fancy mushrooms, and bourbon.

Yeah, its fucking great.

Robot Jesus
31st October 08, 03:03 AM
no aromatics? Im ashamed of you.

Tanhalen21
31st October 08, 03:23 AM
Mayonnaise. Lots and lots of mayonnaise.

Kiko
31st October 08, 08:22 AM
Made Voompa's Yams last night. There was much rejoicing!!
Used milk instead of cream. It worked but I think Half & Half would be a happy compromise.

Kiko
2nd November 08, 08:00 AM
Captain Kiko's Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

3/4 cup granulated BROWN sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon cardamom
¼ teaspoon nutmeg (Better if you can use fresh ground spices, especially the ginger, nutmeg, cloves & cinnamon)

2 large eggs
½ cup of rum (spiced or dark is better)
1 can (15 oz) Pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) Evaporated milk
baked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
Whipped cream (optional) Directions:
MIX sugar, spices & salt in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Add rum. Stir in sugar/spices then pumpkin. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with REAL whipped cream before serving. Using Cool Whip will get you keelhauled!!

Kiko
23rd November 08, 05:22 PM
If your turkey is still frozen, you may want to work on thawing it soon, depending on how much it weighs and what method you're going to use to thaw it.

Safe Methods for Thawing
Immediately after grocery store checkout, take the frozen turkey home and store it in the freezer.

Frozen turkeys should not be left on the back porch, in the car trunk, in the basement, or any place else where temperatures cannot be constantly monitored.

Refrigerator Thawing
When thawing a turkey in the refrigerator:
Plan ahead: allow approximately 24 hours for each 4 to 5 pounds in a refrigerator set at 40 °F or below.
Place the turkey in a container to prevent the juices from dripping on other foods.
Refrigerator Thawing Times
Whole turkey:
4 to 12 pounds …… 1 to 3 days
12 to 16 pounds …… 3 to 4 days
16 to 20 pounds …… 4 to 5 days
20 to 24 pounds …… 5 to 6 days
A thawed turkey can remain in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 days before cooking. Foods thawed in the refrigerator can be refrozen without cooking but there may be some loss of quality.

Cold Water Thawing
Allow about 30 minutes per pound.

First be sure the turkey is in a leak-proof plastic bag to prevent cross-contamination and to prevent the turkey from absorbing water, resulting in a watery product.

Submerge the wrapped turkey in cold tap water. Change the water every 30 minutes until the turkey is thawed. Cook the turkey immediately after it is thawed.

Cold Water Thawing Times
4 to 12 pounds …… 2 to 6 hours
12 to 16 pounds …… 6 to 8 hours
16 to 20 pounds …… 8 to 10 hours
20 to 24 pounds …… 10 to 12 hours
A turkey thawed by the cold water method should be cooked immediately. After cooking, meat from the turkey can be refrozen.

rsobrien
23rd November 08, 07:30 PM
No

Tanhalen21
23rd November 08, 07:32 PM
Is it ok if I choke you to death with a turkey leg?

Tanhalen21
23rd November 08, 10:11 PM
Well alrighty then.

Steve
23rd November 08, 10:23 PM
^^Glad to see that everyone is getting in the "mood" for Turkey Day.

fes_fsa
24th November 08, 12:57 PM
hmmmm.... i know i said i wouldn't post anymore recipes but i was at the grocery store yesterday... and i noticed people had cans and cans or jars and jars of gravy. it dawned on me that not that many people know how to make it.

so... i guess i'll post a quick recipe. this is the basics of any gravy i make:

if you have pan drippings you want to add, put it in a container, ice bath it, and freeze it. your meat has 15 to 45 minutes to rest before carving. in this time, the fat can solidify and you can scrape it off the top, instead of making a greasy inedible gravy.

if you have giblets to cook, cook them in the stock you're going to use.

make a basic rue. that's 1 tbsp butter to 1 tbsp flour in a saucepan. for the average turkey, i use about 5 or 6 tbsps butter and flour. stir it with a wire wisk until it's very light brown--you're just barely toasting the flour.

add your stock and drippings, constantly stirring, and bring it to a boil. the gravy will thicken as you heat it, so don't stop stirring... or you will scald it.

unless they were underdone when you chopped them up, add your giblets last. this will keep crap out of your whisk. please don't add raw giblets to what you're serving as your final gravy. that's just gross... and while you may not taste it, other people will think your gravy reeks of blood.

Equipoise
24th November 08, 01:30 PM
Umm... Why not just de glace the pan with a wine or liquor instead of freezing it? Then you can instantly use it by making a reduction.

Freezing fat has the tendency to make it taste rancid.

fes_fsa
24th November 08, 01:34 PM
because sometimes, when i'm cooking a turkey, i'll get 2 inches of fat in my pan.

even with a deglace, the fat is present.

i'm not talking about freezing the fat to use it.

i freeze the fat to make it easier to scrape off so i can throw it away.

Kiko
24th November 08, 01:41 PM
Gravy? I make at least 1/2 gallon of it so there's plenty for leftovers. Stock gets started when I'm sauteing the stuffing veggies in a pot big enough to boil lobsters. Celery, Onions, whatever wings, necks, backs etc I can find or have saved in the freezer and the tied up stems from the herbs that got plucked previously.

After the turkey is done and resting, roux into the pan drippings (remember the bacon lattice?) with wine and then light cream.

I think that's most of it. Adjust if needed.

Equipoise
24th November 08, 05:00 PM
Well the fat acts an emulsifier for the gravy so you don't end up with a loose soup.

Steve
24th November 08, 10:43 PM
Meh, I'm having salmon with the gf (though I'm having a turkey lunch with mom before hand).

Equipoise
24th November 08, 10:58 PM
Why not make a Prime Rib, Steve? Takes about the same amount of time to cook and it trumps turkey by a mile while satisfying your distaste for the fat bird.

Steve
24th November 08, 11:05 PM
Me or NOB? I'm having salmon with the gf because her sister and her best friend are both pescetarians.

Equipoise
24th November 08, 11:42 PM
Oh you mean vegetarian hypocrites?

fes_fsa
24th November 08, 11:46 PM
no. because fish and chicken are vegetables.

Steve
24th November 08, 11:55 PM
Heh, yeah, I don't understand it either.

Kiko
27th November 08, 10:00 AM
http://www.engrish.com/wp-content/uploads//2008/11/thanksgiving.jpg
Hope you're all with good food, great company and in good health.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Tanhalen21
28th November 08, 12:29 AM
Hope you're all with good food, great company and in good health.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Since you didn't invite me to your home I sat by myself in a shitty apartment and ate a turkey sandwich from subway.

Just kidding I had dinner with the Boston Celtics

Zendetta
28th November 08, 02:46 PM
Oh God My Stomach Please Don't Talk About Turkey!!!

Kiko
28th November 08, 03:09 PM
Stuffing? PIE??

Zendetta
28th November 08, 03:19 PM
BOOM

Kiko
28th November 08, 03:19 PM
One tiny wafer thin mint?

Kiko
3rd November 09, 01:24 PM
http://www.thequietrevolution.ca/quiet/ThreadNecro.jpg

But it's time.. really it is!

Robot Jesus
3rd November 09, 07:39 PM
your two weeks late

Kiko
4th November 09, 12:23 PM
Three weeks early in this country. You coulda bumped it, too...

EvilSteve
4th November 09, 01:39 PM
Here's my entries for this year:

Devils on Horseback (hors d'oeuvre)

You need:
Bacon
Dried black mission figs
fresh sage
toothpicks

- Preheat oven to 425

1. Cut everything in half (cut the bacon crosswise, not lengthwise)
2. Wrap each half fig in half a strip of bacon, along with a half leaf of sage.
Secure with a toothpick.
3. Put a grated cookie rack over a shallow baking pan or baking sheet- i.e.
you want something you can lay these bad boys on so the bacon fat will
drip down and they won't be soaking in it. Place the bacon/fig/sage things
on the rack and bake at 425 for, IIRC about 15 mins.
4. Clog arteries and die happy.

These things are without a doubt the best holiday appetizers I've ever had. When you cook them, the dried figs rehydrate themselves with bacon fat and you get a treat that is both sweet and savory. They are truly awesome.

Also, never had fried turkey, but brined turkey has always worked for me.

Ajamil
4th November 09, 02:36 PM
Thanksgiving comes before my B-Day this year. I like how Thanksgiving jumps around on the calendar. It's rare, but every once and a while Thanksgiving is on my B-day, and then I get presents AND a big ol feast.

Ajamil
4th November 09, 02:36 PM
In honor of shark month, I think we should all try to find and prepare dolphin-based Thanksgiving meals. These murderous thugs travel in packs and ruthlessly slaughter an endangered species.

EvilSteve
4th November 09, 05:47 PM
Grilled Mustard Crusted Dolphin:

http://recipeland.com/recipe/v/Grilled_Mustard-Crusted_Dolphin_31322

Ajamil
4th November 09, 11:39 PM
Good good. Remember - the three most mentally complex lifeforms are primates, elephants, and dolphins. Let's give thanks that natural selection chose us as better adapted and let's make sure we keep our advantage over our competition.

Robot Jesus
7th November 09, 02:49 PM
until the mice come for us

Ajamil
7th November 09, 04:31 PM
Can't stay King of the Hill forever.

Kiko
13th November 10, 06:52 AM
Um... this should make up for another bump...

Steve
13th November 10, 07:17 AM
More than, fuck yeah.

Kiko
13th November 10, 04:39 PM
RJ, IF you fall back on turkey... flip back in this thread.

Ajamil
23rd November 10, 11:37 PM
And in this thread I like how my B-day is in teh holiday season. I have no constancy. *sigh*

Kiko
24th November 10, 08:41 AM
And in this thread I like how my B-day is in teh holiday season. I have no constancy. *sigh*

So does that mean you fluctuate between sage, rosemary, thyme and marjoram or cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger? (Poultry/turkey seasoning or pumpkin pie/baking spices)?

Kiko
25th November 10, 11:53 AM
Fine, don't answer me and Happy BIRTHDAY!!!

Ajamil
26th November 10, 03:44 PM
Sry, me mah's house is a last bastion against electronics. Had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my main course being acorn squash with non-bullion stuffing.

Currently chowing on some of the leftover yams.

Nasreal
26th November 10, 08:59 PM
I don't really have any great love for Thanksgiving turkey when I eat it the first time, I mean roasted turkey is roasted turkey is roasted turkey. But I fucking love the sandwiches and turkey bbq afterwards. I just had a roasted turkey sandwich on toast and some sweet potatoes with brown sugar, now time for some pumpkin pie...

Kiko
26th November 10, 09:00 PM
I'm usually too frazzled to pay attention to how it tastes on Thanksgiving. But today? Oh, leftovers are a thing to be cherished....

Nasreal
26th November 10, 09:01 PM
Fuckin'-a-right you are, ma'am. That sammich was a mouthgasm.

Kiko
26th November 10, 09:02 PM
Sammich? Not yet. Not while there's still gravy and stuffing.... and VOOMPA'S YAMS!!!

Nasreal
26th November 10, 09:08 PM
What's a voompa? Grandparent? And I'm just a sammich type of person, if you can eat it, I can put it on some good bread and eat it. haha

Kiko
26th November 10, 09:10 PM
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?40349-Turkey!!&p=1099868&viewfull=1#post1099868 (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?40349-Turkey%21%21&p=1099868&viewfull=1#post1099868)

Voompa's Yams FTW!!!

Nasreal
26th November 10, 09:17 PM
That sounds awesome!

Robot Jesus
28th November 10, 02:59 PM
one of my issues with turkey is my parents insist on having enough gravy for leftovers. I make so much roux that the end result tastes like paste.

Kiko
28th November 10, 03:45 PM
I have more than enough gravy for the leftovers of a 23 lb bird with stuffing inside and outside. It's about roasting the neck (if you can get extra wings, backs, etc and add them) and then tossing them into a pot of stock, not water. Then you can make your roux (extra) and add wine, cream and have lots of gravy.