PDA

View Full Version : Books? Books. Books!

Tenebrae Vision
20th October 03, 09:58 AM
So I was chatting in AIM with one of the lovely ladies of CTC early this morn. (ahh nice having someone sane up when I get off watch) ANYWAY...

We were swapping titles and making recommendations. And we thought, why not ask the people on CTC..

What's your favorite book?

Have any recent titles that really stick out in your mind?

A classic you simply MUST reread?

Books that you think other people should read?

Lets hear it and we can dust off our library cards or head to Borders!

Kitska
20th October 03, 10:00 AM
W.Somerset Maugham "Of human bondage"

Kiko
20th October 03, 10:08 AM
I'm sane? Thanks, Sky!

Sean Hannity - "Let Freedom Ring"
Most stuff by Lois Lowry, but mostly "The Giver" and "Gathering Blue"
David Cordingly - "Under the Black Flag" YARRR!

I'll put up more when I think of it..

Kwill
20th October 03, 10:12 AM
If you don't mind a little kinky sex, Kushiel's Dart and the next two books in the series are a very well written fantasy set. A little too much gratuitous S&M, but other than that a very good read.

Lads Before the Wind is the book I am reading now, it's about dolphin training and dolphins. Good read from the woman who invented clicker training.

Web of Gold is a completely cheesy conspiracy novel (non fiction) about the lost gold of Solomon's temple, which supposedly was in France from the time of the crusades thru WWII. This book is well written, chock full of obscure history, and completely paranoid. I read it at lunch, so haven't finished it yet.

Snow Crash is worth reading again. What a great prophetic book.

A book I have read a few times is "Little, Big" about a family that is visited by fairies -- really well written adult book.

One of my favorite horse soap opera books is called "Riders" by Jilly Cooper, about the world of show jumping, but you don't have to like horses to enjoy it. It is completely trashy, and totally sucks you in from the beginning to the end. I think it might be out of print by now, but maybe not. It's a UK novel. I told my friend to read it and she couldn't put it down. Great characters. Mostly for girls though I would say, but I don't know. It's like 1,000 pages too, but it's never boring.

That's all I can think of for now!

Yiktin Voxbane
20th October 03, 10:15 AM
Confessions of a Bastard : Philip K Dick
Weaveworld / Imajica : Clive Barker
Charolettes Web : been too long......

vilesoul
20th October 03, 10:16 AM
my fave book: a compilation of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories.

recent title that sticks out in my mind: Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. That book was so good, i just had to find a palm e-book format so I could read it at the can, during my 2mph commute to and from work, while sitting at line at the quizznos for a freaking sub, etc, etc. Sure it's about 800 pages, but it doesn't feel like you read 800 pages.

Book I'd reccomend: That same compilation of Poe's work.

The Poe book is a 1990 print from Longmeadow press, bound in black leather. The actual book title is "The Tales Of Edgar Allen Poe" I have no idea where you would find it, since I got it for my birthday 12 years ago, along with the works of Thomas Hardy, which is another fine book, although not everyone's idea of a good read.

Menarion
20th October 03, 10:20 AM
Black Company series by Glen Cook
Sword and the Chain series by Joel Rosenberg
Dune series by Frank Herbert
The new Dune prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson
Well World series by Jack Chalker
Four Lords of Diamond by Jack Chalker
Necroscope series by Brian Lumley
Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist

There's a few of my favorites...

beck
20th October 03, 10:23 AM
Anything by Jonathan Kellerman, really good thriller/mystery novels.

Anything by Anne Rice writing under the name Anne Rice.

Any novels by Neil Gaiman.

Anything written by the Dalai Lama

Tenebrae Vision
20th October 03, 10:23 AM
Three Initiates - "Kybalion" (non-fiction, something to wrap the brain around.. even if it's really a small book)
Robin McKinley - "The Hero and the Crown" -- See also "The Door in the Hedge" retellings of fairy tells, quite cleverly written
Robert Heinlein - "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Robin Cook - "Outbreak" (Nothing to do with the movie, but the theme is similar)

And for the delightfully weird -- "Principia Discordia" it's not much more than a glorified pamphlet, but such a tongue in cheek look at religion.. it's wonderful!

And, Kiko.. you're sane. To me.

So, not really saying a whole lot.

Kiko
20th October 03, 10:24 AM
Chalker's Flux World was pretty strange. I may have to find the Diamond ones wherever I packed it away...

Tenebrae Vision
20th October 03, 10:25 AM
The Poe book is a 1990 print from Longmeadow press, bound in black leather. The actual book title is "The Tales Of Edgar Allen Poe" I have no idea where you would find it, since I got it for my birthday 12 years ago, along with the works of Thomas Hardy, which is another fine book, although not everyone's idea of a good read.

I HAVE that book and it's awesome!! Props!

Menarion
20th October 03, 10:26 AM
Chalker's Flux World was pretty strange. I may have to find the Diamond ones wherever I packed it away...

Yeah the Flux and Anchor series by Chalker was truly great also. It's too bad his work has degenerated (In my opinion). He's gone so downhill, it's even becoming hard to find his stuff although they just reprinted a bunch.

Kiko
20th October 03, 10:30 AM
Hmm.. now I'm thinking of older stuff...

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray (Grey?) Mouser series
Michael Moorcock's Elric series and a few others
Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld and Dungeon both series
Oh, and edited by Robert Asprin, THIEVES' WORLD The forward alone is a must for anyone who wants to write shared fiction.

Yiktin Voxbane
20th October 03, 10:32 AM

Also see Up the Line, even if just to read how the crucifixion might of been.

Kwill
20th October 03, 10:38 AM
More...

Anything by Terry Pratchett.

Pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman, but American Gods was a great book.

The Live Ship books, I forget the author, Robin something.

CS Lewis's Narnia books are really good. His adult science fiction books are really not very good, but have some interesting Christian ideas.

I used to like Judith Tarr, she's a fantasy author, but then I met her on a message board list and I ended up disliking her prima donna attitude so don't like her books now.

All the Darkover books by Marilyn Zimmer Bradley are pretty good. They are kind of dated now with her social issues, I think, but her universe is very fun to spend time in.

Oh, and if you like horror than anything by H.P. Lovecraft is fun -- he's the Cthulu guy.

Kiko
20th October 03, 10:39 AM
Robin Hobbe.. Liveship Trilogy.. also the Assassin's Apprentice etc.
Left Hand of Darkness by LeGuin too

Might as well toss in Mists of Avalon and the prequels by Marion Zimmer Bradley

joen00b
20th October 03, 10:40 AM
A Song Of Fire And Ice - George R. R. Martin is still the best series I've read. Get an excel spreadsheet for all the cast and characters, print it out, then get a black magic marker to cross out the names of everyone he kills. In fact, get 2-3 black magic markers, as they will get used up fast.

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson. The original horror writer that inspired the greats of today: Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Clive Barker. It's just a story about the entire world getting turned into Vampires, except one man. Film adaptations of this book have sucked, you have to read the book to really enjoy the plot. The version I picked up has a bunch of his short stories in the back of the book, which was one helluva bonus!

The Art Of War - Sun Tzu: Just good old fashioned Chinese Philosophy. I brought this one into work to re-read it.

Kwill
20th October 03, 10:43 AM
A Song Of Fire And Ice - George R. R. Martin is still the best series I've read. Get an excel spreadsheet for all the cast and characters, print it out, then get a black magic marker to cross out the names of everyone he kills. In fact, get 2-3 black magic markers, as they will get used up fast.

George RR Martin is great!! So right about killing everyone. "Make him fly, mommy!" ergh, so gross.

Kwill
20th October 03, 10:44 AM
I guess Steven King isn't a must read, but everyone's probably read him -- what's your favorite King book? Mine's Christine.

Cybsled
20th October 03, 10:52 AM
My favorite king "book" was his novella "The Mist". One of the scariest stories I ever read.

Yiktin Voxbane
20th October 03, 10:57 AM
Read 2

The shining, well written and a pleasant departure from Mr. Kings usual overabundant bumwaffling.

The dead zone, reasonably fast paced, the scene where he touuches a coat in a coatroom and discovers one of his fellow diners is nearly completley insane and is planning to kill his entire family, is a Beaut.

Fer sheer weirdness tho, I am thinking The Fog, James Herbert, the scene where 10.000 people walk calmly and quietly into the sea, would make GREAT cinema :p;)

Menarion
20th October 03, 10:59 AM
I don't have a #1 favorite King book, but my favorites by him are-

IT
The Stand
The Tommyknockers

His Dark Tower series.

Kiko
20th October 03, 11:02 AM
HATE King, because he's good at what he does. "Pet Sematary" gave me nightmares. Thank you NO. I'll watch flicks made from his books tho.

Not to change the tone, but "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" by Christiane Northrup is a must read for ladies. The sections about basic philosophy of the mainstream medical community are right on.

orcmauler
20th October 03, 11:04 AM
Watership Down-forget the author, bad me

Mickey Zucker Reichert-Last of the Renshai trilogy, and the sequel trilogy

George R. Martin-Song of Fire and Ice books

Douglas Niles-Watershed Trilogy, Circle at Center Trilogy, Icewall Trilogy

Terry Pratchet-anything when I am in the mood for light-hearted reading

Kwill
20th October 03, 11:05 AM
I have spun this thread into a downward spiral of pop culture paperbacks.

In an attempt to bring it back, we should all also mention any favorite "classic" piece of literature. Many of you will already be excused from this as you already did.

I must admit though I don't have a favorite classic book, Jane Austin is always a good read, or the Bronte sisters.

Tenebrae Vision
20th October 03, 11:08 AM
I must admit though I don't have a favorite classic book, Jane Austin is always a good read, or the Bronte sisters.

Favorite Classic? Tale of Two Cities

Now that was a fantastic story.

The Scarlet Letter was good, not as great as the aforementioned Tale of Two Cities, but a nice book on a rainy day ;)

Menarion
20th October 03, 11:11 AM
The Illiad and the Odyssey. :)

Kiko
20th October 03, 11:18 AM
Terry Brooks - Sometimes the Magic Works

It was nice for a change from fiction for me.

Oh, and Rudy Giuliani - Leadership

Tenebrae Vision
20th October 03, 11:21 AM
SPEAKING of Terry Brooks - "Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold!" is a REALLY fun read!

Xesor
20th October 03, 11:23 AM
War and Peace.

Perfect book in detention.

Tenebrae Vision
20th October 03, 11:25 AM
War and Peace.

Perfect book in detention.

What're you doing on CTC while in school?!

PAY ATTENTION! :nono:
:D

Tetsou
20th October 03, 11:28 AM
Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon are two or the best books I've ever read, which proves that everything Neal Stephenson writes is the best. /nod

Left for Dead: A Digital Manitfesto, by um.. Roger Sause. An excellent, if not slightly flawed view of the current state of America, concerning almost all aspects of the country.

Idoru by William Gibson is a story about a flakey rock star that doesn't seem to lose his popularity with age, and has decided he's in love with an Idoru application.

I read Clive Cussler too, but I don't normally admit that. :p

joen00b
20th October 03, 11:51 AM
Yiktin mentioned him before but I gotta admit I'm a big fan of PKD. A Scanner Darkly is an awesome book about an undercover cop trying to catch drug dealer. And the man In The High Castle is a great take on the "What If" type scenario with the Axis winning WW2. Another favorite was always Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, which was of course made into Bladerunner.

Morley
20th October 03, 11:58 AM
Hmm.. now I'm thinking of older stuff...

Michael Moorcock's Elric series

I read those, liked em a lot.

list:
Black Company: Glen Cook
Garrett series : Glen Cook
Starfishers Trilogy : Glen cook
(see a pattern here?)
A passage at arms: Glen Cook
Armor: John Steakley
The Belgrade series: David Eddings

Long list and many more that could be on it.

Morley
20th October 03, 12:00 PM
In an attempt to bring it back, we should all also mention any favorite "classic" piece of literature.

The complete works of Mark Twain

Menarion
20th October 03, 12:02 PM
I'm glad to see someone else likes Glen Cook. :)

beck
20th October 03, 12:03 PM
Mayor of Canterbury

Marion Zimmer Bradley is great, also love Elizabeth Hand.
Some of Poppy Z. Brites vampire books are good but can be a bit over the top. My favorite Stephen King has to be The Stand, I read it in one sitting.

Phleg
20th October 03, 12:04 PM
Atlas Shrugged is a masterpiece.
Stranger in a Strange Land is excellent as well.
Linux Routers: A Primer for Network Administrators is a nice bedside book.
Also, any book by George Carlin (Brain Droppings or Napalm and Silly Putty) are hy-fucking-sterical.
Lastly, Neuromancer is a must-read for any sci-fi dork.

Kiko
20th October 03, 12:11 PM
All of Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes strips.
Have to throw in the early Bloom County.
For the politically minded.. Doonesbury.
-=winks at Doc Gonzo=-

A few of Woody Allen's collections - Without Feathers and Getting Even were funny too.

Kwill
20th October 03, 12:14 PM
I never liked Ann Raynd. Is that how you spell her name? I am too lazy to go look. But since Phleg and I probably would never agree, that's par for the course that I wouldn't like her philosophy (the book of course is very well written) =)

I have Stranger in a Strange Land on my bookshelf. It is a classic.

Xesor
20th October 03, 01:28 PM
What're you doing on CTC while in school?!

PAY ATTENTION! :nono:
:D

Discussing Linux vs. Windows isn't something that requires much attention ;p

Anyway...

The Cat That Walks Through Walls(as good as Stranger in a Strange Land, imo)
Vurt by Jeff Noon
Any story involving the Samurai Cat

Llanoldar Lluindar
20th October 03, 02:24 PM
Another Heinlein novel:

Job: A Comedy of Justice

Diggler McFeely
20th October 03, 02:38 PM
Pretty much anything by Terry Pratchett, for me.

For "classic" lit. it would have to be anything written by Shakespeare. Yeah, I used to read a work, then I'd go see the play. Haven't done that in YEARS though.

Kwill
20th October 03, 02:43 PM
My boss is a Shakespeare professor, so I get a lot of Shakespeare stuff in my office. It's given me a better appreciation for it!

Veldriss
20th October 03, 02:43 PM
Absolute favourite: Entire Dune series, though I prefer Dune and it's prequels to the sequels.

His Dark Materials trilogy, by Phillip Pullman.
LoTR trilogy, naturally.

Pride and Prejudice.
Tess of the D`Urbervilles.
Great Expectations.

Any Shakespeare, notably Twelfth Night, Sonnets.

Anything by Maeve Binchy, particularly Circle of Friends. I find her insights into both life and history refreshing.

Nikalos_2
20th October 03, 02:51 PM
A Rumor of War - Phillip Caputo

Merauk
20th October 03, 03:24 PM
Ctc.

Merril
20th October 03, 03:35 PM
Hm. This is a tough one. So damned many good books out there where to begin?

Philosophy:

Lao Tsu - Tao te Ching (anyone seriously interested in philosophy should give this a read... fast reading, may take a while longer to fully appreciate)
- Hau hu Ching (while you're at it...)
Buddha - The Dhammapada
- Bhagavad Gita
Confucius - The Analects
Marcus Aurelius - Meditations
Aristotle - Ethics (classic must read, but it's dry and boring as hell)
Plato - The Republic (This one's not so bad)
Immanuel Kant - The Critique of Pure Reason (If you can make it thru this one without your head exploding, I salute you)
Ludwig Wittgenstien - Tractatus Logico Philosophicus (Good luck finding a copy, but if you do - even in a library, it's easy to get engrossed in)
Renee Descartes - Discourse on Method and Meditations
Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spake Zarathustra
- Beyond Good and Evil
- Twilight of the Gods
- The Antichrist

Classic Literature:
Shakespear - King Lear
Machiavelli - The Prince
John Milton - Paradise Lost / Paradise Regained
The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Science Fiction/Fantasy:
Robert Heinlein - Anything he wrote
Michael Crighton - see Robert Heinlein
R.A. Salvatore - The Cleric Quintet (The dark elf books are so over-popularized I'm not even going to bother mentioning them)
David Eddings - The Belgariad, The Mallorean

Last but not least? A little favorite of mine...

The Pelican History of the World by Roberts

Kwill
20th October 03, 04:03 PM
Pullman's stuff is pretty cool, thanks for mentioning those -- even thought they are young adult books.

I like the Tad Williams series also.

A good classic book is the Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck.

Merril's list of philosophy books reminded me of this one, as I have read Wittgenstein for a class (hard!) as well as Bahktin, Habermas, and the rest of the language/cultural theorists. I dare any of you to try and get through The Location of Culture by Homi Bhabha. It's considered one of the great works of cultural studies, and I could hardly understand a word of it. Here are the first two sentences: "It is the trope of our lives to locate the question of culture in the realm of the beyond. At the century's edge, we are less excercised by annihiliation --the death of the author -- or ephiphany -- the birth of the "'subject."" You know what, I still don't understand what the hell he's talking about.

Tenebrae Vision
20th October 03, 06:53 PM
Had a lovely nap, thank you.. back to the book talk.

GO, GO TO TOP!

Margot Adler - "Drawing Down the Moon" (non-fiction.. Pagan religious info, a bit dry, but quite informative.. just letting folks know)

As far as Shakespeare.. he's rather hit or miss, to me. I seem to prefer his "comedies" over his tragedies. "Merchant of Venice" & "A Midsummer Night's Dream" are excellent examples.

Kiko.. woman after my own heart... Bloom County. <3 for Bill :(

How could I have forgotten:

Richard Bach - "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"

J.D. Salinger - "The Catcher in the Rye"

Kiko
20th October 03, 06:56 PM
Illusions by Bach was good too.

Riddeck
20th October 03, 07:14 PM
Books by Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, Dragonlance Chronicals, seeing as Merril already mentioned R.A. Salvatore, I figured I would toss them in.

Also, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett wrote a book "Good Omens" , not sure if thta was mentioned...and for fun "A brief history of time" by Stephen Hawkings 8/

Kiko
20th October 03, 07:17 PM
That was fun! I actually liked it sorta.

Couple more before I go to bed..

Asimov - all Foundation ones.. and the Robot ones.
Dragonlance - Dwarven Nations Trilogy.. hard to find but EXCELLENT.

Rizzenn
20th October 03, 07:25 PM
Dereliction of Duty was pretty good
Anything written by Tom Clancy
Right now I'm in the middle of "First Strike" which is about TWA flight 800

Kela
20th October 03, 08:14 PM
Stephen Kings arent really must read but I always enjoy them. I liked the Desperation one and the other one about the same place....where he wrote under another name....
I like my kiddie books....the Piers Anthony Xanth series. I cant seem to get enough of those and I've read each probably at least 4 or 5 times. And theres a lot of them.

I havent read anything good in a long time. I go into the bookstore and get kinda lost and have no idea what to pick up. Bridget Jones Diary was pretty good...that one was actually assigned to me before the movie came out.

Phleg
20th October 03, 08:52 PM
I never liked Ann Raynd. Is that how you spell her name? I am too lazy to go look.

Ayn Rand =)

But since Phleg and I probably would never agree, that's par for the course that I wouldn't like her philosophy (the book of course is very well written) =)

I have Stranger in a Strange Land on my bookshelf. It is a classic.

Odd that you would appreciate Stranger in a Strange Land's philosophy (or any Heinlein work, for that matter) if you don't like Rand's. They were both quite Libertarian.

Phleg
20th October 03, 08:54 PM
Christ, can't believe I forgot the Dragonlance series (atleast, the ones written by Weiss and Hickman; most of the rest are crap).

Kwill
20th October 03, 09:02 PM
Ayn Rand =)

Odd that you would appreciate Stranger in a Strange Land's philosophy (or any Heinlein work, for that matter) if you don't like Rand's. They were both quite Libertarian.

I said it was on my bookshelf, I didn't say I liked it =)

Tinuviell
20th October 03, 09:03 PM
I guess Steven King isn't a must read, but everyone's probably read him -- what's your favorite King book? Mine's Christine.

The Talisman is my favorite King book.

The Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien is my all time favorite.

I also like any Vampire or Demon the Fallen novels.

Voompa
20th October 03, 10:43 PM
Weaveworld / Imajica : Clive Barker

Yiktin beat me to it. Those two are my favorite Clive Barker books and he's my favorite author.

All-time favorite book:
Alice in Wonderland

Good books I enjoyed reading in the past year:
House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
Choke - Chuck Palahniuk

Favorite Stephen King books (quit reading his stuff about 10 years ago though cuz it was too repetitive):
The Shining
Night Watch
Skeleton Crew

Favorite classic lit stuff:
Antigone
Dante's Inferno

Xesor
20th October 03, 10:48 PM
My wife and I are moderately conservative. She writes better than I.

Same concept.

Nikalos_2
20th October 03, 10:49 PM
http://www.leftbehind.com/

These books are the truly great novels of our time.

Aaranar
20th October 03, 11:13 PM
I remember Stephen King's The Mist, but I came across it as an audio promotional tape for 3d surroundsound. They live acted the book with sound effects. That was one creepy tape.

If you want something light and funny, try Illegal Aliens by Nick Pullota and Phil Foglio. It just hit reprint a few months ago, so it should be fairly easy to find.

I have a few friends who say the Left Behind series is excelent, but I haven't looked at it yet. George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series is excellent. First book is A Game of Thrones. Fourth book isn't due out until April 04.
He also edited a series of books called the Wild Cards, which were composite books written by different authors about the adventures of their characters in a campaign of Villans and Vilgalantes, a pen and paper rpg, which one of them was running.

David Gerrolds War Against the Chtorr is good as well, though he's draggin it out like Phillip Jose Farmer did the Riverworld books. First book is A Matter for Men. There are some rather disturbing elements in the story through the books, read at your own risk. Some other good ones by him are Voyage of the Starwolf and it's sequal, Middle of Nowhere and Under the Eye of God and it's sequal Covenant of Justice.

The Uplift Wars by David Brin, at least the first three books, were great. Sundiver, Startide Rising and The Uplift War. The rest of the books in the series I didn't care for.

Many folks talk about Raymond E. Fiest's Magician saga, but I recommend his lone horror book Farie Tale. It's a pretty good story about True Tom and the Farie Ring from Celtic Mythology.

Maldisdain Atheist
20th October 03, 11:36 PM
A few brilliant plays...
The Sea Gull (Anton Chekhov)
Who's afraid of Virginia Wolff? (Edward Albee)

Most any story by Herman Hesse is absolutely brilliant... supposedly The Glass Bead Game is his best, though I confess: I always get distracted by some work when I try to read it.

In Defense of Anarchism (Robert Paul Wolff) is a good read, for the politically inclined. Very short, though.

Blegh. I haven't read anything normal in a long time, though. My eyes are too crossed by the time I have a moment to do any reading of my own.

Energiser
20th October 03, 11:43 PM
You must read every book by douglas adams.

Halfrican
20th October 03, 11:46 PM
This thread has been on topic WAY to long, Sveva, Narcis, Kela, Kitska GET TO WORK!

Sabore Wallace
20th October 03, 11:50 PM
Pool of Radiance - (The "OLD" one, not the newer 90's version Ruins of Myth Drannor or whatever)

Xesor
21st October 03, 12:04 AM
Pool of Radiance - (The "OLD" one, not the newer 90's version Ruins of Myth Drannor or whatever)
The old NES game for that was good, too.

Sabore Wallace
21st October 03, 12:11 AM
Yes sir, I still own it. Play it every so often when I drag out my old NES too.

Doctor Gonzo
21st October 03, 12:27 AM
What's your favorite book?

Have any recent titles that really stick out in your mind?

A classic you simply MUST reread?

Books that you think other people should read?

Lets here it and we can dust off our library cards or head to Borders!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas/Lies and the lieing liars that tell them
MacBeth, only because I recently watched 'Scotland PA'
Most things by P.J. O'Rourke, 'Give war a chance' specifically

Phleg
21st October 03, 02:58 AM
Lies and the lieing liars that tell them

C'mon, don't tell me you bought into that crap ;)

deadcat
21st October 03, 03:00 AM
MacBeth, only because I recently watched 'Scotland PA'

I live 5 minutes away from there.

Kiko
21st October 03, 07:24 AM
Piers Anthony's Incarnations Series was better and more mature than the Xanth stuff. Interesting concept well done.

I forgot some other modern classics. Once and Future King - T.H. White.

I'm gonna add The Song of Roland on principle. As well as Mallory's Morte d'Arthur.

Merril
21st October 03, 07:49 AM
Piers Anthony's Incarnations Series was better and more mature than the Xanth stuff. Interesting concept well done.

Excellent series. I remember picking up 'On a Pale Horse' and the next day picking up the other half dozen books.

I'm gonna add The Song of Roland on principle. As well as Mallory's Morte d'Arthur.

I'll second both of those... And after just reading the former I think I'm gonna go rest my brain.

Kiko
21st October 03, 07:53 AM
I forgot Njal's Saga. Norse stuff rocks.

Kela
21st October 03, 07:57 AM
Piers Anthony's Incarnations Series was better and more mature than the Xanth stuff.
Because ya know...when I pick up a novel entitled "The Color of her Panties" with a Dragon on the cover....I'm definately hoping to exercise my brain with some hardcore reading.

Kiko
21st October 03, 08:02 AM
Don't start. Over a dozen books in a series based on bad puns is cute at first. It's not his best and most of his fans will agree.

I'm off to work.. toodles!

Kela
21st October 03, 08:12 AM
'Don't start' says the person selectively responding to posts because of the author and their dire need to be petty. You may as well throw sand at me and chase me around the playground while you're at it!

Ever have a movie that you'd watched since you were a little kid and still consider it one of your favorites? For me these books got me through elementary and junior high school when I wasn't allowed to watch any TV other than Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and the news. I apologize if you consider these difficult adult reading and need to compare them to his less humorous work and fail to see that one persons taste in stories to read can be based on something other than your opinion of whats "good" or "cute" or "mature."

Why don't you check out the question first posed in this thread? One person's favorite things to read while they take a shit just might not be on the list of all time greatest pieces of literature as concocted by some dead "scholar."

Derreck
21st October 03, 08:35 AM

King's Dark Tower series is excellent. Try The Gunslinger on for size. I can almost guarantee you'll like it.

Snow Crash and House of Leaves were also both very good, and both recommended by Voompa and Ferkl. Two smart people.

Imajica is incredible. Barker is one of my favorite authors of all time, and all of his stuff is good. I just read Coldheart Canyon and it was excellent, very sexy, scary, and twisted as all hell.

Fuck, most of my favorites have been mentioned. William Gibson is another of my favorites, and all of his stuff is great. Neuromancer is definitely a must-read, along with the rest of the Sprawl series (Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive- maybe a couple others I missed?).

Chuck Palahniuk is god. Resist the temptation to read Fight Club first, and read Choke. Great read.

I read a lot of stuff, but can't think of much more. Not too into fantasy stuff, although the Wheel of Time series was fun for me.

Nohn
21st October 03, 08:39 AM
The Holographic Universe, by Michael Talbot

Kwill
21st October 03, 08:41 AM
The Wheel of Time was interesting for perhaps the first four books? Then it got so formulaic that I got totally bored with it. I didn't care what happened to Rand and his friends. Plus there was no character development, everyone stayed the same, pretty much. Boring.

Shorrtee McHeals
21st October 03, 09:20 AM
The Case for Faith - Sobel

Biggest Ever Bathroom Reader - Bathroom Reader's Institute

Kwill
21st October 03, 09:44 AM
If we are going to get into non-fiction, Why Bad Things Happen to Good People might appeal to a lot (but not all) the people on this board.

Wow, I had a Fruedian slip when typing that the first time! Eek, what's going on in my head today.

joen00b
21st October 03, 10:40 AM
You be thinking of h0tt n00b adventures, cause I'm just that damned good!

Kwill
21st October 03, 10:46 AM
Is that the same thing as vaginal adventures? Or different?

joen00b
21st October 03, 10:51 AM
Not the same! This is me dragging you from dungeon to dungeon, win after win, scorinjg uber high totals in LDoN!

Kwill
21st October 03, 11:00 AM
LDoN adventures I am up for. =)

Xesor
21st October 03, 01:44 PM
The Wheel of Time was interesting for perhaps the first four books? Then it got so formulaic that I got totally bored with it. I didn't care what happened to Rand and his friends. Plus there was no character development, everyone stayed the same, pretty much. Boring.
hm. uh. hm. :(

Kwill
21st October 03, 01:49 PM
I stand by what I say.

joen00b
21st October 03, 02:01 PM
Wheel Of Time sucks! Let me paraphrase it for you:

All Women: twist braided hair and be a full on screaming bitch that needs a high hard one up their ass to chill them out.

"Cool" Character 1: Torn emotions about cool powers.

"Cool" Character 2: Torn emotions about cool powers, disappear for 4 books.

"Cool" Character 3: Torn emotions about cool powers, though the center of the story of the book, this character does absolutely nothing. Nothing at all. They don't advance the story, they don't go anywhere, they have no major effect on anything, they have no dramatic confrontations. Just 700 pages of how they eat their lunch and brood for a while.

"Cool" Character 4: See "Cool" Character 2.

Everything else is a hack attempt to be Tolkien and it fails so miserably 90% of the people can't make the correlation, so they think it's original.

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius. What started off as ok, with promise to be epic has turned into a cashcow for Jordan, and he'll keep writing them as long as the thronging mindless masses lap up the toilet water writing he is giving them. When sales plummet, the story will end.

Kwill
21st October 03, 02:09 PM
I love the above man for that brilliant review.

Menarion
21st October 03, 03:16 PM
Hmmm, I actually truly enjoyed the books up through number 6 (Wheel of Time). I think that it did a fairly good job of telling the story up til then. Book 6 had one of my favorite scenes ever. After that the story got overly complicated (so many characters you couldn't keep them straight if you wrote them all down) and overly long. Instead of focusing on the people who would be reading the story, it appears he is just writing to make the series last as long as humanly possible. After buying the tenth book, reading it, and realizing that the plot didn't advance one iota even though it was 700+ pages, I was very disheartened. Odds are, unless I have nothing better to read, I won't buy any more in the series until it is finished.

As far as a hack attempt to be Tolkien? I just don't get that feeling at all from his books. If you are looking at a hack attempt to be Tolkein, take a look at Dennis McKiernan's Iron Tower trilogy.

Kiko
21st October 03, 03:24 PM
Tried the first Wheel of time and I kept thinking... "I don't give a DAMN about any of these people". Didn't make it through the intro!

More classic SF.. L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt - the Compleat Enchanter and following series stuff.

joen00b
21st October 03, 03:33 PM
I always loved the first series from Fiest, that was a good read and still is today. It became somewhat Cliche after a few series, but for one of the best reads ever, I lay my money on A Darkness At Sethanon.

Menarion
21st October 03, 03:35 PM
I agree Joe. Definitely one of my favorite series.

Hurricane Aegien
21st October 03, 04:02 PM
Good Omens (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0425060799/qid=1066769476/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-0887145-7474228?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Hitchikers Series (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/122/ref=pd_sr_ec_ser_b/103-0887145-7474228)

Anything by David Sedaris (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/ref=dp_sr_00/103-0887145-7474228)

Other stuff too. I'll look when I get home.

Tigerstorm Starweaver
21st October 03, 04:33 PM
Dragonlance Chronicles/Legends.

The Republic.

~TS

Kwill
21st October 03, 04:48 PM
Aegien likes David Sedaris? lol Well he is sort of cynical. So I guess it fits. I like David Sedaris too, but more when he reads his own stuff.

Hurricane Aegien
21st October 03, 05:09 PM
Aegien likes David Sedaris? lol Well he is sort of cynical. So I guess it fits. I like David Sedaris too, but more when he reads his own stuff.

I adored the times he's been on This American Life.

Ooh, I also like Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, How to be good (still need to read this), etc...)

Hurricane Aegien
21st October 03, 05:12 PM
Oh!

David Schickler, he wrote this collection of short stories called "Kissing in manhattan" that's just fantastic.

Sithray
21st October 03, 05:32 PM
(ahh nice having someone sane up when I get off watch)

You give me your base and shift time and I will give you something NICE to come home to if ya know what I mean...in case you didn't get that, I was making a statement with sexual undertones...in other words, when you got off work I would be waiting at your house with a bottle of warming KY, 3 towels, a heating vibrator and a bottle of cheap wine, and if you are lucky, a small tube of strawberry flavoring.

Sithray
21st October 03, 05:34 PM
You ever get a flu shot, then take 2 tylenol flu to counter the symptoms, then type shit, then wish you hadn't, but when you go to delete it is is is is so damn funny you just can't help but leave it.

beck
21st October 03, 06:05 PM
You give me your base and shift time and I will give you something NICE to come home to if ya know what I mean...in case you didn't get that, I was making a statement with sexual undertones...in other words, when you got off work I would be waiting at your house with a bottle of warming KY, 3 towels, a heating vibrator and a bottle of cheap wine, and if you are lucky, a small tube of strawberry flavoring.

Naval Air Station North Island 1600

Kwill
21st October 03, 06:35 PM
Wait, I want him first!!

Oh. Well, I can't. So enjoy.

Merril
21st October 03, 07:36 PM
The thing I don't like about WoT books is the monotonous plotline.

Exposition = First 75% of a bigass book which adds nothing of value to the immediate storyline
Major Conflict = the antagonist stupidly ranting about how Rand killed soandso and soandso and soandso, laying idiotically ineffective plans to kill Rand anyway, and proceding to set them in motion
Climax = Rand goes apeshit and blows stuff up
Resolution = Rand's girlfriends go "there, there. it'll be okay."

Derreck
21st October 03, 07:49 PM
Do not underestimate Aegien. Doesn't everyone like David Sedaris? And I'm going with Egg on This American Life: Best radio show ever. Ira Glass > All

Merril
21st October 03, 08:09 PM
Adding in another one.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchet

Tenebrae Vision
22nd October 03, 07:50 AM
While not precisely the most "literary" works.. I think everyone should pick up Robert Fulghum's books. They're simple, thoughtful, and sometimes just give an ounce of perspective when you're not sure you can find it.

That and they're just innocent and sweet fun.

Yiktin Voxbane
22nd October 03, 09:01 AM
Add the thoughts of Nanushka, by Nan Witcomb(e) ....just the tonic on those days when yer feeling a Lil Blue.

Maldisdain Atheist
22nd October 03, 11:29 AM
<i>Candide</i> (Voltaire) is a good (and hilarious) novella... and it's a satire of Leibniz's principle of sufficient reason. Can't go wrong with that.

orcmauler
22nd October 03, 11:58 AM
Adding in another one.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchet

Love that one, especially the Eagle and Turtle parable.

Quite honestly I give pratchett credit, that no matter what any book of his I read I always wind up cracking up at least once. Granted I have a rather skewed sense of humor, but still he always delivers.

Tigerstorm Starweaver
22nd October 03, 12:02 PM
<i>Candide</i> (Voltaire) is a good (and hilarious) novella... and it's a satire of Leibniz's principle of sufficient reason. Can't go wrong with that.

Oh yeah... good call.

Also, Sophie's World by Jostien Gaardner.

~TS

Aphid Jones
1st September 08, 07:22 PM
I just finished this book yesterday.

Can someone please explain to my why the fuck it's considered a classic? It was below David Brin in quality.

Problems I had with the novel:

1. Used characters to go on one-sided rants (Jubal) about personal philosophy and opinion. See "mary sue" without the omnipotence.

2. Used almost no science, but wrote in the Hard-scifi style.

3. I have never before cared about shovenism. I'm a fan of MABTW, because it's hilarious. But I discovered that he was so fucking cheesy about it that I was actually bothered. Trying not to apply retroactive judgment of the times, but DAMN.

4. Advocated the hippy anarchy/orgy commune as the supreme form of living.

5. Had unoriginal, generic philosophical revelations that were supposed to be mind-blowers "lol god is in all of uz" "jealousy is the root of awl evil"

6. Inane banter for dialogue that, at times, lasted pages. PAGES OF INANE BANTER. I've never seen the like of it before.

7. Retroactively labeled the novel a "satire" despite the fact that it does not imply direct satire at any time.

I've read his stuff before and always classed it as "alright, but not top material" and this was supposed to be the best of the best by Heinlein. What on earth made it so successful?

Then I remembered that up until the 50's and 60's scifi wasn't very big with publishers of books, instead of magazines, so the scifi fans groped at any novel half-decent. At least that's my theory.

Maybe I just read it wrong. Someone explain where I went wrong?

Yiktin Voxbane
1st September 08, 07:27 PM
Thou art God , NJM .

Aphid Jones
1st September 08, 07:28 PM
Thou art God , NJM .

*lights Yiktin on fire*

Yiktin Voxbane
1st September 08, 07:31 PM
;) :D

Dark Helmet
1st September 08, 07:41 PM
You brought up a 5 year old thread for this?You could have started a thread.WTF!Ban please!

Aphid Jones
1st September 08, 08:16 PM
You brought up a 5 year old thread for this?You could have started a thread.WTF!Ban please!
Wouldn't that be the technical opposite of banning someone for a low content thread?

... a high-content post?

I'm down for it being turned into a thread.

Dark Helmet
1st September 08, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't that be the technical opposite of banning someone for a low content thread?

... a high-content post?

I'm down for it being turned into a thread.Hardly.

You could have started a new thread.Added this thread into your Oppening page with the same quote you added here.Ask anyone (present members) if they read it and then give your opinion of the novel.

See not too hard.

Eventually it would have fallen into the back pages .

Neildo
2nd September 08, 01:01 AM
what's really funny is there is an similar thread to this that is active

http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45114

attn: staff. search function is broken, plz fix kthxbye.

Aphid Jones
2nd September 08, 01:42 AM
what's really funny is there is an similar thread to this that is active

http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45114

attn: staff. search function is broken, plz fix kthxbye.

I thought I was posting in that thread.

Kiko
2nd September 08, 12:20 PM
*lights Yiktin on fire*

*douses the flames with fine gnomish brandy and begins to spin plates on sticks*

Yiktin Voxbane
2nd September 08, 09:01 PM
*Absorbs now flaming brandy through Osmosis*

*Now seems to glow with an inner fire*

*Passes Kiko more plates*

Kiko
3rd September 08, 06:46 AM
*nods to the orchestra to play "Sabre Dance" faster while smiling at Twytch"

Sabore Wallace
27th January 09, 12:47 AM
WTF? Sabore Dance?

Yiktin Voxbane