PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Gaming Movie: SpyKids3

Kwill
2nd August 03, 11:09 PM
We went to see SpyKids3 this evening, and I have never seen a more anti-gaming piece of propaganda. Besides the fact that the movie was boring boring boring. But my seven year old liked it, probably because of the 3D glasses more than anything.

I couldn't figure out why the movie was bashing "beta testers" and "programmers", and then by the end it came to me, after hearing all the hokey speeches and the family theme bashed into my brain over and over and needing something to do because Pakse feel asleep in the middle of it (granted, his plane was delayed last night and he didn't get home until 3am, so he had an excuse). I mean, what movie today calls programmers "computer nerds?" The "programmers" in the film look like some kind of Columbine/Goth mutants in the movie, but turn out to look like something out of Revenge of the Nerds when they are "exposed for what they really are (gasp.) The writers drive home the point that programmers aren't all powerful, they are just pimply guys jacking off in their basement trying to be bullies in the virtual world and they aren't even people you would like in real life if you actually met them!! Same with the "beta testers."

The clues were all there, the rude children lining up to play the best video game in the whole world, the prize of unlimited wealth if you "won the game," which in fact is just not true (wow, really?), the occasional jabs at the Matrix, and the character mispronouncing "nintendo" (maybe they had to because of copyright stuff or something? how can you mispronounce Nintendo?), all of it added up to a moralistic tale of the evils of video games and how they are going to ruin all the children in the world and mess up our future. Game Over, get it?

The underlying message of the movie is, family (real people) is more important than video games, you shouldn't pretend to be someone else that's more attractive or "cooler" in a video game, heroes in a video game are not really heroes, they are just "deceivers," and you should be happy with what real life gives you and not be sucked into believing that games will make your life better. Because if you play in virtual reality, all it will bring you is death, "game over." I think the author of the script must be a regular reader of EQWidows.

It was clear that the script writers had never actually played any video games, didn't really know what "beta testers" were (they seemed to think they were sort of mean people that get to win a game "first"), and clearly thought that "programmers" were some kind of horrible pimply people that thought way too much of themselves.

The big message at the end of the movie was that the grandfather was okay with the fact that he ended up in a wheelchair, put there by the Toymaker, because it taught him life lessons he never would have learned before, and he understood that staying in virtual reality and being all powerful was a bad thing for him because he was a hero in real life to his grandson even if he couldn't walk on the beach with his wife. So he forgives the toymaker (revenge is bad, boys and girls!) and everyone realizes that family is the most important thing in the world and this family-oriented outlook should take precedence over everything else in your life.

Let's not even go into the fact that nothing in the movie made any sense, including the game, the game world, the powerranger beta testers, the evil plot by Sylvester Stallone, the Trinity-esque figure, the transporter boots that everyone had, the actual things it took to "level" in the game, I could go on --but I won't.

Luckily, my kid had no idea the movie was a propaganda filled 2 hours of bad dialogue and poor plotting, and liked the fact that when they fell into the lava the lava bits looked like they were flying out of the screen. When he gets older he can be as cyncial as I am about non-gamers ranting about the evils of playing MMORPGS.

Vigil
2nd August 03, 11:37 PM
Military uses gaming nowadays to recruit so I dont think its that bad!

Ouden
2nd August 03, 11:38 PM
Finding Nemo was also an awful propaganda movie made by PETA!

Any movie can be construed as propaganda for something or other if you look too hard.

Look at it more as a stupid movie made for little kids who have never seen 3d and that's the end of it.

Nikalos_2
3rd August 03, 12:04 AM
Sounds like this generation's "Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat"

Kalric
3rd August 03, 02:36 AM
It would have been funny if on "Finding Nemo", at the end of the movie they never found Nemo.

Some of my friends wanted to watch Spykids 3D. But i said Hell no and we went and watched Terminator 3, which was my 3rd time to see it.

Tomorrow we are either going to watch American Wedding or that S.W.A.T movie.

Anyone seen any of these? Are they worth watching. Well, it really doesnt matter cause we get half off prices. But would rather use the money on a Kit Kat bar!

Vigil
3rd August 03, 03:40 AM
T3 rocked! I think SWAT might be good have to check it out. Colin Farrel is in every movie nowadays btw!

Kalric
3rd August 03, 04:03 AM
<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
-->!LETS GO STREAKIN!<-- <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Cybsled
3rd August 03, 07:57 AM
SWAT looks like the suck from the previews.

ONE MEEEELLLIIION DOLLARS! All that dude needs to do is put a pinky to his lips.

Infuego
3rd August 03, 11:12 PM
You really liked T3?

To me it was just a lesser version of number 2, rehashing humor with less impressive action.

I'll admit that the whole crane chase scene was pretty sweet, but other than that I felt like it was incredibly rushed. While I thought the girl did a good enough job of portraying the new terminator, she was basically identical to the T1000, sub guns for knives.

I found myself doubting the credits were actually rolling, as it ended about 30-45 minutes before I expected it to.

Oh well, guess that's why options have been signed for a 4th and a 5th. *sigh I wish they could have just left another great series alone.

*Edit - how much bullshit was it that they waited til the credits to begin the dudu du du dum music.

Ouden
3rd August 03, 11:14 PM
The 4th one was written at the same time as the 3rd one. The 5th is more of an open ended thing, not necessarily meaning that they're going to make a 5th.

Zaxum
4th August 03, 03:46 AM
I'm interested in seeing the 4th one just to see how the story writers pan out the tale from where 3 left off. I mean we know machines lay havoc, and that John is supposed to start the resistance. But they never say how successful he was in doing so, if he led billions of people to their deaths or what ;)

And since Arnold is gonna prolly be extinct, can they even call it Terminator anymore? There's gonna be thousands of them. T*.

Energiser
4th August 03, 03:52 AM
i'm interested in seeing the second half of t3 too.

Cilumbik
4th August 03, 07:51 AM
I'm interested in seeing the 4th one just to see how the story writers pan out the tale from where 3 left off. I mean we know machines lay havoc, and that John is supposed to start the resistance. But they never say how successful he was in doing so, if he led billions of people to their deaths or what ;)

And since Arnold is gonna prolly be extinct, can they even call it Terminator anymore? There's gonna be thousands of them. T*.

In T3 Arnold said the Rebel's won.

Ouden
4th August 03, 09:21 AM
It's always been said since the first Terminator that the machines sent back the Terminator through time as a last-ditch effort because they were about to lose the war.

Menarion
4th August 03, 11:05 AM
I actually liked T3 a lot even though it was a rehash of a lot of things. I'm extremely glad they didn't wimp out on the end of the movie. All I could think as it got nearer was that they were going to stop the takeover.

Phrost
4th August 03, 01:18 PM
T3 actually got back the gritty spirit of the first Terminator that T2 had lost in favor of high-explosive, over the top scenes and typical action movie humor.

The fact that the world really did "end" in T3 made the movie.