PDA

View Full Version : Arab Spin on the War

magikchiongson
27th March 03, 04:54 PM
Here's a few comments from Arab Newspapers around the Middle East. Its funny, they seem to be praising the fact that Iraq has lasted longer than a week. LoL I guess they are so used to getting the snot knocked out of them so utterly and in mere days by the IDF, that they think they're actually winning Militarily.

"Six days have passed and not one Iraqi city has fallen to the invaders," wrote Mahmoud Abdel Moneim, a columnist for the al-Ahram daily newspaper in Cairo, Egypt.

"Saddam Hussein hasn't fled, and he hasn't given in. The whole world mocks the allies and their weapons and their numbers, which are incapable of achieving any victory over Iraqi forces who are supported by no one."

A commentary in the Tishrin daily in Syria on Thursday indicated that -- in the words of a writer for the Syrian Web site -- "there is a complete conviction in the world that what is going in Iraq is more than an ordinary aggression and the American strategy in targeting the Iraqi people, land and resources."

The daily stressed that the "U.S. war machine doesn't hesitate to target the Iraqi civilians with round the clock missiles and bombs in the most brutal raids ever in history particularly on Baghdad."

The AlThawra daily indicated that the Iraqi people have proven they are stronger than all the military, and the alBaath daily pointed out the amazing popular resistance of the Iraqi people will be an important factor in the Arab world.

Arab World is so screwed up...

Shura
27th March 03, 05:15 PM
I got iraqi TV it is hilarious. All they ever do is show guys with moustaches and big suits singing in arabic about saddam and how he is so fat and wonderful

There's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface, consuming...

Osiris
27th March 03, 06:44 PM
Good thing there's no spin on our news.

"A well set table, 'Third Rock From The Sun'
Dead men hung, 'Caddilacs and dinosaurs'
hot peanuts and fireworks, a Holocaust" - Warcloud

The Wastrel
27th March 03, 06:47 PM
Arab World is so screwed up...

Seriously, utterly bankrupt culture. To expect an outbreak of "Jeffersonian democracy" as, apparently, Paul Wolfowitz (if I remember correctly) does, is a sick fantasy. You'd have people suicide bombing polling locations. I'm so glad that the West has almost completely tamed religion.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

The Wastrel
27th March 03, 06:49 PM
Osiris,
There's definitely spin on mainstream broadcast news, but in this country there's a variety of spin. That's big difference. And there are some genuine sources that come close to "objectivity".

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Osiris
27th March 03, 07:07 PM
True. Its not to the same level as in some places, but it does exist and it certainly influences opinions.

Boyd
27th March 03, 09:23 PM
What do you guys think of TIME magazine? That's where I get most of my info.

They don't call it the Nazi PARTY for nothing!

The Wastrel
27th March 03, 10:04 PM
Hehehe. You're trolling Boyd.

Deadpan Scientist
27th March 03, 10:23 PM
Boyd would never troll....

Boyd
27th March 03, 10:54 PM
Of course not. I'm just exercising my "Will to Power" or somesuch.

They don't call it the Nazi PARTY for nothing!

magikchiongson
31st March 03, 02:07 PM
Although I don't doubt that after this is all over, Iraqis will line the streets to hand flowers and junk to their Liberators, I'm also pretty sure that two days later they're going to go to the hills and start taking pot shots at our boys with their AKs.

Despite all the Spin the Arab "News" tries to put to all that's going on in Iraq. Arabs know what the U.S is all about. They know we don't shoot civilians (well we usually don't), that's why they hide behind women and children. They know that we go out of our way to help distressed civilians, that's why they send a fake cab driver to pretend his car is in trouble then blow himself up to kill our troops. Weird thing is, the world knows this, they even mock it by using it against us. Yet they go on to their News Agencies and actually claim that we aim missiles at Civilians. Obsurd.

PizDoff
31st March 03, 02:43 PM
Good thing there's no spin on our news.

lol

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.

Dibble
31st March 03, 03:03 PM
Don't underestimate the power of state-owned media. Several years after Tiannanmen Square, I was in China. I was told by relatives that people in the inner country, unable to receive coastal broadcasts, still did not believe it ever happened--that it was all rumour, propaganda.

I don't think even Americans adequately train ourselves to discern disinformation. How much of the news you see do you take at face value?

PizDoff
31st March 03, 03:39 PM
i agree with that as well.....
how glorified are the war veterans from Vietnam?

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.

The Wastrel
31st March 03, 09:09 PM
What do you mean?

SLJ
2nd April 03, 03:25 AM
>The American strategy in targeting the Iraqi people, land and resources.

Oh yer right, fucking pricks!

I wouldn't be too unhappy if a few bombs went astray right into the hole where they write this shit.

----------------------------------------------------------
Space may be the final frontier,
But it's made in a Hollywood basement.