PDA

View Full Version : Warning to Americans

PizDoff
29th November 04, 08:56 AM
Just your friendly Canadian public service announcement.

Canadian red-light runners prompt U.S. government travel advisory

MONTREAL (CP) - Canadian drivers who ignore red lights have given their country a reputation south of the border, where the U.S. State Department is warning Americans to drive through our green lights with caution.

The State Department's travel section includes an advisory about the dangers on Canadian roads, including concerns about red-light runners.

"Drivers should be aware that the frequency with which motorists run red lights is a serious concern throughout Canada," said the State Department, which also cited snow, elk, deer and moose as Canadian road hazards.

"Motorists are advised to pause before proceeding when a light turns green."

Montreal, with its aggressive drivers and roundabout roads, was singled out as an area of particular danger for American motorists.

The travel advisory, dated July 23, warned that "many (Montreal) highways do not have merge lanes for entering traffic," and that "rapid lane-changes without signalling, and tailgating are common."

U.S. visitors were also cautioned that "emergency vehicles frequently enter the oncoming traffic lane to avoid congestion."

Local transportation advocates said Montreal may have attracted U.S. attention because of lax traffic laws that penalize red-light runners with little more than a ticket even if a pedestrian is struck and killed.

"It's a problem," Claire Roy of the Canadian Automobile Association told CFCF News in a recent interview.

"In Montreal, there seems to be a high rate of collisions at intersections so it's definitely a safety issue that has to be addressed."

Montreal police spokeswoman Natalie Valois said a driver who mows down a pedestrian after ignoring a red light can receive a $148 ticket and lose three demerit points.

"I know it sounds crazy that a person can kill somebody with his car and get off with only a ticket," Valois acknowledged to CFCF.

"That's why we are always making sure we're trying to remind people that running through a red light can bring bad consequences." Edit: *Nods Sagely*

Red-light runners cause nearly 1,000 collisions every year in the city, said CFCF. Between 1996 and 2003, red-light running was responsible for 11 per cent of all road fatalities and nearly 13 per cent of all serious injuries, the station added.

Advocates have been pressing the province to install red-light cameras, which exist elsewhere in Canada. But the idea was recently scrapped by the Quebec government.

"There's no commitment from the government side," transportation advocate Catherine Hirou told CFCF.

"There was a lot of pressure and work done with the (auto-insurance board), but the legislation doesn't allow for (camera) equipment."

Original Article (http://travelcanada.sympatico.msn.ca/TravelNews/ContentPosting.aspx?contentid=50db1e82d6ad490b848e 39a49456c70c&show=True&number=5&showbyline=False&subtitle=&abc=abc)

Bad consequances, yes...very bad consequances.

Actually, save for the dangers of snow, elk, deer and moose, I generally only REALLY hear of the Frenchies as being consistent dangerous drivers on the road.

ICY
29th November 04, 09:01 AM
The worst driving I've ever seen was in Portland on the I-5...some guy cut off the vehicle I was in trying to make an exit (he made it, but almost hit the divider) and that almost resulted in a 4 car accident.

That said, I have run about 1 red light a year in my 3 years of driving.

j416to
29th November 04, 11:50 AM
In Montreal, crossing the road, either j-walking or at a green light intersection, is definitely a full contact MA. One that you often practice with a fully resisting partner in a speeding vehicle.

El Tejon
29th November 04, 12:17 PM
So much for the "laidback Canadian" myth. :icon_rr:

Based on my last experience elk hunting, hitting an elk is the only way I'll get one!

The Wastrel
29th November 04, 12:36 PM
The worst driving I've ever seen was in Portland on the I-5...some guy cut off the vehicle I was in trying to make an exit (he made it, but almost hit the divider) and that almost resulted in a 4 car accident.

That said, I have run about 1 red light a year in my 3 years of driving.

Odds are he wasn't a local if he didn't know his exit was coming up.

Phoenix
29th November 04, 12:39 PM

You've obviously never been to Edmonton before.

Raven
29th November 04, 12:40 PM
That bad?

Phoenix
29th November 04, 12:43 PM
Proven fact. Edmonton has the worst drivers in Canada.

Raven
29th November 04, 12:44 PM
Proven fact. Edmonton has the worst drivers in Canada.

Wow, I thought Toronto was bad.

j416to
29th November 04, 12:46 PM
Driving in Edmonton is fun, especially when it's -40, and too cold for the salt to melt the ice. Sort of like playing bumper cars for grownups.

Raven
29th November 04, 12:49 PM
Right, I forgot to factor the weather into the situation.

j416to
29th November 04, 12:58 PM
You forgot to factor in the weather??? Are you sure you're Canadian? *Confiscates your hockey equipement*

Raven
29th November 04, 01:04 PM
No, I mean I forgot how much more extreme it would be in other provinces.

*grabs his Brodeur plushie and runs*

j416to
29th November 04, 01:07 PM
The Devils!...*spits*

Raven
29th November 04, 01:13 PM
Oh come on.

JUst because we have the best goalie, and have won the cup since the invention of colour T.V, doesn't mean you have to be bitter. I mean after the Canadians, T.O is in second place for the total number of cups won.

j416to
29th November 04, 01:19 PM
In keeping with the spirit of PizDoff's thread....*runs Raven over with an Oiler's tour bus...twice*

Raven
29th November 04, 01:25 PM
I....regret....nothing......

*Watches the Seinfeld episode where the Devils, not the LEAFS are mention. Thus proving the Devils superiority.*

johnbo
29th November 04, 02:18 PM
It doesn't surprise me at all that the french-speaking Canadians drive like total french idiots.
But you'd expect better from the english speakers.

ICY
30th November 04, 06:59 AM
I mean after the Canadians

CanadiEns you Ontario-centric poop-dink!! The Devils have how many cups again? Two? Montreal has 23...that makes them 1150% better.

Raven
1st December 04, 12:02 AM
CanadiEns you Ontario-centric poop-dink!! The Devils have how many cups again? Two? Montreal has 23...that makes them 1150% better.

Actually they have 3.

Yes, the Canadiens have a better history. I would hope so, since they are an original 6 team.

Oh and I got 40% in Fench.