PDA

View Full Version : Iraq sets date for elections

Raven
22nd November 04, 12:49 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041121.wiraq1121/BNStory/Front/

I hope this doesn't urn into a Weimer Republic situation, as the people have no democratic roots. They also may not appreciate having a foreign political system imposed on them. Lets hope an extremist party doesn't get into power, or the people are quick to abandon the system at the first sign of trouble. Hell, it may not even survive after the US pulls out.

Judah Maccabee
22nd November 04, 12:52 AM
COLONEL
Son, all I've ever asked of my marines is that
they obey my orders as they would the word
of God. We are here to help the Iraqis,
because inside every camel-jockey there is an
American trying to get out. It's a hardball
world, son. We've gotta keep our heads until
this peace craze blows over.

Adapted from Full Metal Jacket.

Jolly_Roger
22nd November 04, 12:54 AM
[QUOTE=Raven] They also may not appreciate having a foreign political system imposed on them. /QUOTE]

Fancy that...those iraquis, they sure are crazy, aren't they?

Raven
22nd November 04, 01:24 AM
It looks like they're getting some economic relief, as some major countries have agreed to reduce Iraq's debt by 80%. $42 billion was originally owed to the countries that waved this debt. This is an economic leg up the country could seriously use.

ICY
22nd November 04, 01:53 AM
Many nations have successfully adopted foreign systems of government, that isn't to say Iraq will, but it's not an impossibility.

KageReaper
22nd November 04, 01:58 AM
suicide bomber in the voting booth....

what??

It could happen.

Jolly_Roger
22nd November 04, 02:13 AM
Many nations have successfully adopted foreign systems of government, that isn't to say Iraq will, but it's not an impossibility.

Adopt?
Yes, of course. Say, Meiji Japan.
Being imposed? Not really.

NextGuard
23rd November 04, 10:04 AM
It looks like they're getting some economic relief, as some major countries have agreed to reduce Iraq's debt by 80%. $42 billion was originally owed to the countries that waved this debt. This is an economic leg up the country could seriously use.

I think we were asking for 95% but 80% is a lot better than nothing.
In an indirect way we've gotten the European countries and Russia to pay for part of the war/reconstruction.

On the election, January 30, what is that 9 weeks? That's not very long to try to pacify the country.

NextGuard
23rd November 04, 10:05 AM

It could but the elections in Afghanistan where we know there is still Taliban presence went pretty well.

Peter H.
23rd November 04, 10:57 AM
Iraq was already a democracy, there was only one candidate to vote for. They now how to vote, now they may juts have a choice in who to vote for.