PDA

View Full Version : Port Fowarding?

deus ex machina
18th November 04, 02:19 PM
This is a question for you tech gurus out there.

My DC++ and BT downloads are frickin slow. I'm behind a Linksys BEFW11S4 router with 3 other guys. I heard that port forwarding is the answer to my problems but I have no frickin clue how to go about it. Anyone want to walk me through the process? I'm using Windows XP w/ Norton Internet Security Pro.

Phrost
18th November 04, 02:22 PM
Open TCP and UDP ports 6881-6889 on your router for BT. Also make sure they're open on your XP firewall as well.

deus ex machina
18th November 04, 02:24 PM
When I try to assign a permanent IP to my computer, I lose all internet connectivity. What am I doing wrong?

deus ex machina
18th November 04, 03:00 PM
TTT sdfsfsfef

NextGuard
18th November 04, 04:25 PM
When I try to assign a permanent IP to my computer, I lose all internet connectivity. What am I doing wrong?

The problem comes from the way DHCP works ( the mechanism by which the router assigns the computer's IP address). DHCP also assigns the default gateway and the DNS server. On an Win2000 or XP machine run the program CMD. This opens a comman prompt. Type ipconfig /all - that will tell you the default gateway and DNS servers you need to set in your computers IP configuration. Then when you set a permanant IP on your PC it will have all the information it needs to still find the router and the internet.

On a Windows 95, 98 or ME PC run winipcfg instead - that will do the job of both CMD and ipconfig.

Just PM me or post if you need help with that.

MrMcFu
19th November 04, 09:32 AM
Make sure you are on the same subnet when you assign a fixed ip address to yourself. I don't know the particular router, but you should be able to tell it to forward those specfic ports you need to your internal ip address. To the outside world connecting to said ports, it will look like the external ip address of the router is your actual address.

Phrost
19th November 04, 09:39 AM
Most DSL/Cable service providers don't give you a static, routable, public IP address you can assign yourself. If you're trying to assign a NAT IP, I wouldn't see the benefit of that unless you're running a server of some sort for your local network.

NextGuard
20th November 04, 01:16 PM
Most DSL/Cable service providers don't give you a static, routable, public IP address you can assign yourself. If you're trying to assign a NAT IP, I wouldn't see the benefit of that unless you're running a server of some sort for your local network.

For Bit Torrent it helps to have a static NAT IP for the BT machine and forward it on the router to that specific machine so all the BT traffic goes directly to it. It can double (or more) effective BT throughput.