PDA

View Full Version : U.S. planned to commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities

PeedeeShaolin
18th November 04, 06:58 AM
In the early 1960s, America's top military leaders reportedly drafted plans to kill innocent people and commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities to create public support for a war against Cuba.

Code named Operation Northwoods, the plans reportedly included the possible assassination of Cuban émigrés, sinking boats of Cuban refugees on the high seas, hijacking planes, blowing up a U.S. ship, and even orchestrating violent terrorism in U.S. cities

This is froma book "Body of Secrets" and it deals with the U.S. and its relations with Cuba in the 60's. Through the Freedom of Information Act the author has these plans that were APPROVED by all of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and given to Robert McNamara and were then " rejected by the civilian leadership".

I find it pretty damn scary that the joint chiefs would try and push a plan to commit acts of terrorism on its own citizens just to stir up public approval for a war with Cuba. I do NOT find it hard to believe at all. Read the Bay of Pigs.

The plans were developed as ways to trick the American public and the international community into supporting a war to oust Cuba's then new leader, communist Fidel Castro.

America's top military brass even contemplated causing U.S. military casualties, writing: "We could blow up a U.S. ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba," and, "casualty lists in U.S. newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92662&page=1

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385499086/qid=1100779090/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-8505863-8494540

DCS
18th November 04, 07:08 AM
Cuban harbours use to be dangerout to US ships.

The Wastrel
18th November 04, 09:51 AM
When I first read this I was prepared to laugh it off, but it appears to have some weight behind it. Loving this gem from the ABC news link:

The secret plans came at a time when there was distrust in the military leadership about their civilian leadership, with leaders in the Kennedy administration viewed as too liberal, insufficiently experienced and soft on communism.

Too liberal because they decided manufactured terrorist killings were a bad idea.

NextGuard
18th November 04, 09:53 AM
On the surface this sounds absurd. On the other hand we know that the Vietnam war was justified by a fake attack on the American navy.

Personally I'd like to see the supporting documents.

PeedeeShaolin
18th November 04, 09:54 AM
I was prepared to laugh it off also but remember the documents revealed through the Freedom of Information Act that detailed the U.S. govt injecting people with radiation just to test its effects. That really happened, theres no question. If a crazy faction of govt would do something like that this suddenly isn't so unbelievable.

TylerDurden
18th November 04, 10:11 AM
The question isn't are you paranoid, it's are you paranoid enough. After the radiation feeding to retarded adults, the syphillus experiments on african americans and the way they killed soldiers in the atomic tests in New Mexico I would not put anything past some of the loons in power.

Samuel Browning
18th November 04, 10:18 AM
The claim can be found in James Banford, "Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency, from the Dawn of the Cold War Through the Dawn of a New Century", (Doubleday, New York, 2001), pp. 82-91.

Banford has a pretty good reputation as a researcher, though his chapter on what happened to the US Liberty has been effectively disputed. (He used some evidence in that section that since has been called into question).

Operation Northwoods, according to Bamford was really being pushed by General Lyman Lemnitzer, a rabid anti-communist who then headed the joint chiefs of staff. He kept sending these plans to Robert McNamara who as Secretary of Defense under Kennedy for once did the right thing and blocked these proposals. Lemnitzer was later tranfered out of the JCS position and sent to command Nato because his relation with McNamara had gotten so bad, over this and other issues.

Samuel Browning
18th November 04, 10:20 AM
On the surface this sounds absurd. On the other hand we know that the Vietnam war was justified by a fake attack on the American navy.

Personally I'd like to see the supporting documents.

And yes, you are right.

Freddy
18th November 04, 12:24 PM
MK ULTRA anyone?

Judah Maccabee
18th November 04, 12:27 PM
I'm confused. Did the elected officials (Senators, President, etc.) come up with these things, or did the military, which were then rejected by the civilians?

Samuel Browning
18th November 04, 02:16 PM
According to Bamford, it was the military with the approval of the entire JCS, McNamara, specifically, said no way Jose. He also believes that Kennedy turned them down directly but has less proof of this. (No document saying so) interestingly Bamford does not mention in his book how he obtained these documents.

Judah Maccabee
18th November 04, 02:46 PM
Alright then. I think the thread title is a little bit misleading. If it said "Cold War Military Chiefs Planned, etc." it would be more plausible. Hell, wasn't there that guy in the DIA that said "Businessmen and stock traders are intuitively better analysts than government agents. Therefore, if we make the likelihood of a terrorist attack a marketable item, these people will help predict the possibility and severity of such an occurrence" ???

His name escapes me. But his idea certainly didn't.

WingChun Lawyer
18th November 04, 02:51 PM
Hm, not trying to undermine the feeling that this makes the USA somehow special, but the brazilian government did more or less the same in the 1930´s, using fear of a false communist coup d´etat to justify a greater increase in governmental powers.

No one was crazy enough to actually decide to bomb our own cities, of course...that would leave the poor torturers unemployed.

WingChun Lawyer
18th November 04, 02:53 PM
Alright then. I think the thread title is a little bit misleading. If it said "Cold War Military Chiefs Planned, etc." it would be more plausible. Hell, wasn't there that guy in the DIA that said "Businessmen and stock traders are intuitively better analysts than government agents. Therefore, if we make the likelihood of a terrorist attack a marketable item, these people will help predict the possibility and severity of such an occurrence" ???

His name escapes me. But his idea certainly didn't.

You know, when that particular piece of information arrived here, we thought it was a joke.

Judah Maccabee
18th November 04, 02:57 PM
You know, when that particular piece of information arrived here, we thought it was a joke.

When I heard Brazilian women had the nicest asses, I thought it was a joke too.

URL deleted.

WingChun Lawyer
18th November 04, 02:59 PM
When I heard Brazilian women had the nicest asses, I thought it was a joke too.

NOT SAFE FOR WORK

Ah, but that´s a lovely reality, not a joke...

Steve, you should delete that URL out of your post, save it for the BB club. Posting those things here is against site policy.

Judah Maccabee
18th November 04, 03:06 PM
Is it? Alright. I thought URLs were fine.

WingChun Lawyer
18th November 04, 03:08 PM
Did that once, Brandeisansoo deleted it and told me to be a good boy.

But do post that picture on the BBC. That was a superb ass if I ever saw one, and I did see a couple.

Freddy
18th November 04, 03:15 PM
Its hard to beleive things like force sterillization of the mentally ill, deliberate birth control aimed at poor, eugenics etc. happend in the States at one time.

I heard about the one about kids being fed radioactive oat meal in the 1950's (forget date). Anyone heard of that one?

Freddy
18th November 04, 03:19 PM
Hm, not trying to undermine the feeling that this makes the USA somehow special, but the brazilian government did more or less the same in the 1930´s, using fear of a false communist coup d´etat to justify a greater increase in governmental powers.

I believe the Nazis impose similar laws when they came into power during the 1930's after The Reichstag etc.

TylerDurden
18th November 04, 03:21 PM
Hmm, any chance you could pm that url to me there steve old buddy?

Judah Maccabee
18th November 04, 04:04 PM
Lemme see if I can find it again.

NextGuard
18th November 04, 09:59 PM
Its hard to beleive things like force sterillization of the mentally ill, deliberate birth control aimed at poor, eugenics etc. happend in the States at one time.

I heard about the one about kids being fed radioactive oat meal in the 1950's (forget date). Anyone heard of that one?

We did some (in retrospect) seriously stupid things with radioactivity... and I say that a pro-nuclear power physicist.

For example in some of the early nuclear tests, troops were told not to run across the ground until it colled enough to not burn through their boots.

Wounded Ronin
18th November 04, 10:19 PM
Just for reference, here are the details on the Tuskeegee study: http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/tuskegee/time.htm

The Tuskegee Syphilis Study, carried out in Macon County, Alabama, from 1932 to 1972, is an example of medical research gone wrong. The United States Public Health Service, in trying to learn more about syphilis and justify treatment programs for blacks, withheld adequate treatment from a group of poor black men who had the disease, causing needless pain and suffering for the men and their loved ones.

In the wake of the Tuskegee Study and other studies, government took a closer look at research involving human subjects and made changes to prevent the moral breaches that occurred in Tuskegee from happening again.

The full details are at the link.

NextGuard
18th November 04, 10:28 PM
Just for reference, here are the details on the Tuskeegee study: http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/tuskegee/time.htm

The full details are at the link.

It is astounding the lapses in American sense that have taken place... the Tuskeegee study wasn't in the dark ages, in was in this country after we had already fought the Nazis and repudiated all they stood for.

For that matter, how can you found a country on democratic and Chirstian principles and yet have a constitution that admits slavery.

It makes you wonder what we might be doing these days that we will look back on with shock (besides the obvious of holding people indefinately without charges, lawyer access to courts or even Geneva convention rights.

Freddy
19th November 04, 01:09 PM
The MK Ultra stuff I heard wasnt pretty bad as well.

http://www.angelfire.com/or/mctrl/gall.html

http://www.michael-robinett.com/declass/c000.htm