PDA

View Full Version : terrorism sinks to a new low , aid worker murdered

LOVED2BLOVED
16th November 04, 04:29 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4017515.stm

A video apparently showing the murder of aid worker Margaret Hassan seems to be genuine, says the Foreign Office.
"We now believe that she has probably been murdered", Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said after analysing the tape.

Her Iraqi husband, Tahseen Ali Hassan, has made a plea for her body to be returned to him "to rest in peace".

Mrs Hassan, who has Irish, British and Iraqi nationality, was seized by an unknown group in the Iraqi capital on 19 October.

'Stand condemned'

British Prime Minister Tony Blair sent his sympathy to Mrs Hassan's family, saying he "shared their abhorrence" at her treatment.

And Bertie Ahern, the Irish Republic's Prime Minister, said her kidnappers "stand condemned by everyone throughout the entire international community".

We now have to accept that Margaret has probably gone and at last her suffering has ended

Arabic TV news channel Al Jazeera has said it has had a copy of the videotape for several days but has chosen not to broadcast it.

The video apparently shows a militant firing a pistol into the head of a blindfolded woman wearing an orange jumpsuit.

A spokesman for Al Jazeera said he presumed the woman was Mrs Hassan.

Mr Hassan has appealed to the kidnappers to return his wife's body.

"I beg those people who took Margaret to tell me what they have done with her," he said.

"They can tell me. They can call the helpline. I need her. I need her back to rest in peace."

'Unforgivable'

Mrs Hassan's brother and sisters, Michael, Deirdre, Kathryn and Geraldine Fitzsimons, said in a statement that their "hearts are broken".

They said: "We have kept hoping for as long as we could, but we now have to accept that Margaret has probably gone and at last her suffering has ended.

Mr Hassan made an emotional plea for her body to be returned

"She had no prejudice against any creed. She dedicated her whole life to working for the poor and vulnerable, helping those who had no-one else."

They described her murder as "unforgivable", adding: "The gap she leaves will never be filled."

Felicity Arbuthnot, a freelance journalist who was a close friend of Mrs Hassan, said she was both sad and angry at the aid worker's apparent death.

"It is an horrific irony that someone who had fought for this country should die in this way," she said.

Mrs Hassan was driving to work as director of aid agency Care International's Iraq operations when she was seized. The agency has since halted work in the country.

The 59-year-old, who has lived in Iraq for 30 years, appeared in several videos during her captivity calling for Britain to withdraw from Iraq, and for women prisoners to be freed.

If her death is confirmed, the aid worker will be the first foreign female hostage to have been murdered in Iraq amid a recent wave of hostage-takings.

this is awful, a female aid worker? and they expect to be approved by god?

TylerDurden
16th November 04, 04:35 PM
If terrorists thought like normal people, they wouldn't be terrorists any more. So in their minds, they probably do think they will recieve an extra virgin in heaven, or whatever.

Peter H.
16th November 04, 04:36 PM
Despicable, a woman, an Iraqi citizen, a Muslim, and an Aid worker.
I don't see how any organization that claims to have the best interests of Iraq in mind can condone this, she is almost everything they claim to be fighting for.

antman
16th November 04, 04:39 PM
All is fair in love and war unfortunately. Her love of her new homeland cost her life may she be blessed wherever she goes.

I don't believe in the death of innocents.

Ka-Bar
16th November 04, 04:44 PM
I don't believe in the death of innocents.

Get ready for the flamewar, because if there's anything people on Bullshido believe in besides BJJ, it's the death of innocents. :qright7:

TylerDurden
16th November 04, 04:46 PM
So which part don't you believe? The death part or the innocent part? And by the same logic you are saying everyone killed in 9/11 deserved it somehow? Now there is a justification I want to hear.

supercrap
16th November 04, 05:02 PM
It's unbelievable.

And what's more, it's only going to incite more hatred and retaliatory acts, which incites more hatred and retaliatory acts, etc etc until the whole world is a smoldering pile of rubble.

Scrapper
16th November 04, 05:23 PM
The mind of a terrorist defies logic. The very definition of insanity is to repeat the same actions over and over again and expect a different outcome. They will simply keep this up, in ever more horrific scale and circumstance.

Here's the catch-22: If we pull out, they will know that this technique works and employ it with renewed gusto on other matters. If we don't pull out, they will use that circumstance to recruit more sociopaths to keep doing it.

Now, I hate whining...so what's the solution? We can go the Bush root and hunt them down and kill them wherever we can find them. (much to the dismay of the rest of the world) We can ignore them... but that's never really worked in the past. We could give them what they want...now there is a slippery slope. So what is the solution? Matter of fact...I'm gonna start a thread on that right now.....

Freddy
16th November 04, 06:24 PM
Its tragic. The more I read about war the more sick it gets. Rarely are any wars that are fought without atrocities.

Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
16th November 04, 06:32 PM
So which part don't you believe? The death part or the innocent part? And by the same logic you are saying everyone killed in 9/11 deserved it somehow? Now there is a justification I want to hear.

i think they meant something more along the lines of, "i don't support killing non-combatants."

i hope, anyway.

TylerDurden
16th November 04, 10:06 PM
You are probably right, at least I hope you are. In that case I would retract the question as I misread the statement.

Matsufubu
17th November 04, 08:45 AM
I'm guessing she was murdered for being British originally. Nothing else matters to these terrorists, they just want to kill, kill, kill.

LOVED2BLOVED
17th November 04, 08:47 AM
The mind of a terrorist defies logic. The very definition of insanity is to repeat the same actions over and over again and expect a different outcome. They will simply keep this up, in ever more horrific scale and circumstance.

Here's the catch-22: If we pull out, they will know that this technique works and employ it with renewed gusto on other matters. If we don't pull out, they will use that circumstance to recruit more sociopaths to keep doing it.

Now, I hate whining...so what's the solution? We can go the Bush root and hunt them down and kill them wherever we can find them. (much to the dismay of the rest of the world) We can ignore them... but that's never really worked in the past. We could give them what they want...now there is a slippery slope. So what is the solution? Matter of fact...I'm gonna start a thread on that right now.....

i think we should stand firm, and try to imagine an iraq of the future. To just leave would be to dishonour those who are killed by these criminals. The elections need to take place without insurgent interuption, then we can start uniting the people vs the terrorists.

DANINJA
17th November 04, 10:11 AM
From watching news reports many Iraqis are disgusted by what happened.After all she was helping the Iraqis and was against the occupation.Even Al-zaraqwi's group have distanced themselves away from this:

"But two weeks ago a message claiming to be from a group led by extreme militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi called for her release.

Al-Zarqawi's group, which claimed responsibility for murdering Briton Ken Bigley, said her kidnappers did not understand Islam.

"In true Islam, they don't kill women and young children. We only kill those who fight us and kill our people," the message said.

The message was signed "al-Qaeda in Iraq".

BTW kidnapping of Iraqis for ransom in Iraq is now a common thing and rape of Iraqi women has increased significantly since the occupation due to the lack of security.

WingChun Lawyer
17th November 04, 10:16 AM
This may end up being good for the USA. Disgust at the killing of a female aid worker who was also moslem (wasn´t she?) may result in less support for the rebels...at least for that specific group.

Scrapper
17th November 04, 10:35 AM
agreed...the world will probably only put up with this sort of thing for a short while. I agree we should stay the course and try to insure that the elections go off without a hitch. I must admit that I do not have a problem with military action against terrorists and their support systems...I just wish there was a cleaner method.

Peter H.
17th November 04, 11:00 AM
This may end up being good for the USA. Disgust at the killing of a female aid worker who was also moslem (wasn´t she?) may result in less support for the rebels...at least for that specific group.

Yes, she was, she converted when she married, and became an Iraqi citizen. I'm fiarly certain the "rules" of Jihad forbid doing what the terrorists just did.

Jekyll
17th November 04, 11:06 AM
And now care international have pulled out of iraq.

This shit's fucked up.

WingChun Lawyer
17th November 04, 11:32 AM
Jihad is against moslems. The people who did that will not get any support from anyone, I bet.

As for possible benefits to the USA, I believe situations such as these may present an interesting opportunity, if Bush decides to take it.

As Wastrel said before, not all insurgents are the same. A situation as bad as that just might allow US officials to reach some kind of agreement with people like Al Sadr and others, who, for all their faults, are not killing innocent civilians and who want no part of that. A common ground on which negotiations can evolve, so to speak.

Or it may be that I am just an optimist.

Ronin
17th November 04, 11:35 AM
This just adds to the proof that this is NOT about religion, not about nationalities, not even about "helping the infiedel", its about HATRED, pure and simple.

DANINJA
2nd December 04, 05:25 PM
A new twist to the story -the dead body is not of Margaret Hassan!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11559814%5E401,00.html
Mutilated body is not Hassan's
By Amanda Hodge
December 2, 2004

FRESH doubts have emerged over the fate of a British aid worker taken hostage in Iraq in October after tests revealed the mutilated body of a Western woman found a fortnight ago was not Margaret Hassan.

The Irish-born Care International director was believed to have been murdered last month after a video released to Arab television network Al-Jazeera showed a blindfolded woman in an orange boiler suit being shot in the head.

The body of a woman in her 50s found in Fallujah days later, with head injuries consistent with those of someone shot at point-blank range, was thought to be that of the 59-year-old.

But dental tests completed on the body this week proved it was not Mrs Hassan. Unsourced claims that the dental records did not match were reported in The Times's Wednesday edition in London.

Care Australia confirmed yesterday the published results were accurate.

British experts and members of Mrs Hassan's British family who have seen the video of her apparent murder are understood to be convinced of her death.

But Tahseen Hassan said the test results had given him some hope his wife of more than 30 years was still alive.

"There is only a video suggesting the execution to show that she is dead, and I don't know if that is a hoax or not," he said. "In my mind she is still alive."

Mr Hassan will attend a requiem mass for his wife in London's Westminster Cathedral on Saturday.

Mrs Hassan lived and worked in Baghdad for more than 30 years and took Iraqi citizenship, but maintained her British and Irish passports and her Catholic faith.

Although her kidnapping and suspected murder is being investigated by British authorities, a spokesman for Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Australian consular officials were also assisting Mr Hassan.

Scrapper
2nd December 04, 05:30 PM
Very very weird......

Something isn't right here. Terrorists tend to follow certain patterns, this new twist makes me nervous....researching now....

Freddy
2nd December 04, 05:30 PM
So whose the dead body then????? Somebody must know?

LOVED2BLOVED
2nd December 04, 06:28 PM
maybe one of the thousands of un reported civilians killed in the conflict

Jekyll
2nd December 04, 06:34 PM
Unreported white women civilians?
Edit: Theres a pic. at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hassan.

WarPhalange
2nd December 04, 06:36 PM
Despicable, a woman, an Iraqi citizen, a Muslim, and an Aid worker.
I don't see how any organization that claims to have the best interests of Iraq in mind can condone this, she is almost everything they claim to be fighting for.

Except for the violence and death of all infidels. :(

PL

nasty_totoro
3rd December 04, 09:46 AM
simple terrorist tactics ... go after those who are trying to improve the plight of the populace ...

the last thing they want is stability ...

not to mention the fact that all those aid workers are big juicy targets ... kill one and you have a shock and fear effect ... the results generated are greater than the outlay ...

beats being shot full of holes by marines ...