PDA

View Full Version : In a "sharp rebuke" of the Bush Administration, House votes to block overtime rules

PeedeeShaolin
9th September 04, 07:31 PM
Democrats and pro-labor Republicans have fought for almost a year to stop the Labor Dept from going ahead with this IDIOTIC move that would eliminate overtime for MILLIONS of hard working Americans.

The 223-193 vote in favor of blocking the rules defied the White House. A threatened veto applied to a massive spending bill, now on the House floor, if it contains any language tampering with the rules that took effect Aug. 23.

This vote was the 2nd defeat for President Bush in just 2 days. On Wedesday, the Senate gave Bush the middle finger and brushed off a veto threat to stop Bush from giving federal immigration jobs to private workers.

"For those who receive overtime it's as high as 20 or 25 percent of their income," said Rep. George Miller (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., co-sponsor of the provision with Obey. "It's the largest government-imposed pay cut in the history of this country."

The AFL-CIO, which has lobbied against the new rules, said the 6 million workers facing weakened overtime protections include foremen and assistant managers, nurses, workers in the financial services industry, journalists and others who do small amounts of administrative work.

Finally the House and the Senate are showing some balls.

CaptShady
10th September 04, 08:28 AM
GOOD! I hate hate hate government stepping in on most things, and at first I just couldn't bring myself to agree with this. But I come from a line of coal miners and steel mill workers that historically got fucked by "the company". I used to be of the mindset that corporate greed was a new thing (past 2 generations). But it's a historic thing in this nation. I hate hate hate when the government has to get involved in shit like this, but in this case, this day and age ... I just can't disagree with congress' manning up and killing this.

garbanzo
10th September 04, 09:03 AM
Captain:

You and I disagree on many many things (not this).

But I like your independence.

CaptShady
10th September 04, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by garbanzo
You and I disagree on many many things (not this).

Or Rotties :D

Wounded Ronin
10th September 04, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by CaptShady
GOOD! I hate hate hate government stepping in on most things, and at first I just couldn't bring myself to agree with this. But I come from a line of coal miners and steel mill workers that historically got fucked by "the company". I used to be of the mindset that corporate greed was a new thing (past 2 generations). But it's a historic thing in this nation. I hate hate hate when the government has to get involved in shit like this, but in this case, this day and age ... I just can't disagree with congress' manning up and killing this.

Well, in the 30s, businessmen and the government basically worked together to smack down the workers.

CaptShady
10th September 04, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
Well, in the 30s, businessmen and the government basically worked together to smack down the workers.

True ... the sad part of this is that it took a UNITED front among workers in MASS numbers, to change it. I don't think we (as workers in America) have the same tenacity these days. We just lay down and take it.

PeedeeShaolin
10th September 04, 12:36 PM
I just can't disagree with congress' manning up and killing this.

But you're shocked they actually went ahead and did it aren't you? I sure know I am.....

CaptShady
10th September 04, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
But you're shocked they actually went ahead and did it aren't you? I sure know I am.....

Hell yes! Especially given the majority party right now.