PDA

View Full Version : Bush Spokesman, Dan Bartlett, lied about Bush's service

PeedeeShaolin
8th September 04, 04:45 PM
Well well well, after the recent lawsuit alot has come out hasn't it?

When questioned about Bush's service Dan Bartlett told the Post that Bush served in Boston after leaving Houston.

The lawsuit has revealed this to be a lie:

Bush spokesman Dan Bartlett told the Washington Post in 1999 that the future president had served at a Boston-area Air Force Reserve unit after leaving Houston. But Bush never joined a Boston-area unit, the Globe said.

A mumbling Bartlett responded "I must have misspoke".

Sure you did Dan.

The Globe also looked at a 1968 pledge by Bush in which he committed to "satisfactory participation" in Guard training.

But the newspaper said he performed no service over a six-month period in 1972 and nearly a three-month stretch in 1973 -- erratic attendance that could have prompted his superiors to discipline him or order him to active duty in 1972, 1973 or 1974.

Instead, Bush's unit certified in late 1973 that his service had been "satisfactory," the Globe said.

Mmmm hmm.

And now a former Texas Lt. Gov, Ben Barnes, is set to appear on "60 Minutes" to discuss how he helped Bush get into the Guard in the first place. Barnes has already come out in the open and said he regrets helping Bush.

In a videotaped speech recently posted on the Internet, Barnes told an Austin, Texas political rally: "I got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard when I was lieutenant governor of Texas and I'm not necessarily proud of that ... I thought that's what people should do when you're in office: You help rich people."

No reason to mention John Kerry here, there were enough Swift Boat threads to do that.

Lets talk about this instead, although I would assume the Bushites will be curiously silent.

SRK85
8th September 04, 04:52 PM
I think these candidates should shut up about Nam and talk about more about the issues like Iraq, the economy, and a sleeper issue medicare.

Balloonknot
8th September 04, 06:32 PM
I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. If Kerry grows some coyones and goes after Bush the way they went after him, he could change the course of this election.

Dejavu
8th September 04, 08:33 PM
Interseting. Not that that wasn't unexpected.

What is unexpected is how there are no ads which are discrediting Bush, like there Kerry.

CaptShady
9th September 04, 07:29 AM
Ben Barnes is the worst source for this. If you're going to use Zell Miller's flip flopping on his attitude towards Kerry (oh NO! I used that word!), then the same thing has to apply to Barnes. Barnes said 4 years ago that he had no recollection of helping Bush .. then suddenly 4 years later he has full recollection? WTF? Politics man!

And again, the partisan flip flop on this subject is AMAZING! The same democrats who said that Clinton's draft dodging was no big deal, is NOW trying to make Bush's draft dodging into a mountain. I hate both parties. This is why a limitation of terms in congress should be made law. Get rid of the pollution of crooks in office for the past 20 years, and let others who actually want to make a difference have a chance.

WingChun Lawyer
9th September 04, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by CaptShady
This is why a limitation of terms in congress should be made law. Get rid of the pollution of crooks in office for the past 20 years, and let others who actually want to make a difference have a chance.

Even though I thought that thread you made about the need to support the troops/shut the hell up like a good american was incredibly silly and fascist, I actually agree with this. Mind you, there will always be young crooks ready to get into office with the help of the old crooks, but thatīs still not a bad idea.