PDA

View Full Version : Clinton defends Bush???

punchingdummy
28th July 04, 09:35 PM
I found the article. It was Time and not Newsweek (June 28 issue to be exact).

The following are bits from an interview with Bill Clinton ("His Side of The Story"):

On whether Bush's foreign policy is rooted in missionary zeal

..You've got a real intellectual debate today in the post 9-11 world - more than a missionary zeal. I take the general approach of the current administration to be, we should do whatever we can on our own and cooperate when we need to. Whereas our approach was, we should cooperate whenever we can and act on our own when we need to. Very often it led us to the same place...all I'm saying is that I did things unilaterally too.

{referring to Bosnia, Kosovo and Haiti and other international political issues}

On whether Bush was right to invade Iraq

You know, I have repeatedly defended President Bush against the left on Iraq...I don't believe he went there for oil. We didn't go there for imperialistic or financial reasons. We went there because he bought the Wolfowitz-Cheney analysis that Iraqis would be better off, we could shake up he authoritarian Arab regimes in the Middle East, and our leverage to make peace between the Palestinians and Israelis would be increased.

...So you're sitting there as President, you're realing from the aftermath of this (9/11), so, yeah, you want to go get Bin Laden and do Afghanistan and all that. But you also have to say, Well, my first responsibility now is to try everything possible to make sure that this terrorist network and other terrorist networks cannot reach chemical and biological weapons or small amounts of fissile material. I've got to do that.

That is why I supported the Iraq thing. There was a lot of stuff unaccounted for. So I thought the President had an absolute responsibility to go to the UN and say "Look, guys, after 9/11, you have got to demand that Saddam Hussein lets us finish the inspection process." You couldn't responsibly ignore [the possibility that] a tyrant had these stocks. I never really though he'd [use them.] What I was far more worried about was that he would sell this stuff or give it away.

kismasher
30th July 04, 11:34 AM
clinton could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in a white dress

Balloonknot
30th July 04, 12:09 PM
true dat.

ICY
31st July 04, 08:48 AM
He said the same thing on Larry King...I dunno why this is surprising to anyone, Clinton wanted to get rid of Saddam, he was just too much of a wimp.