PDA

View Full Version : The Real Clone Wars

Te No Kage!
27th July 04, 12:28 PM
Japanese Council Approves Human Cloning

Fri Jul 23, 2:03 PM ET

TOKYO - Japan's top science council voted Friday to adopt policy recommendations that would permit the limited cloning of human embryos for scientific research, an official said.

The recommendations would let researchers use and produce cloned human embryos but only for basic research, said Tomohiko Arai, an official at the Cabinet's Council for Science and Technology Policy.

The council, headed by Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, will now ask Japan's ministries to come up with specific guidelines, said Arai, who declined to speculate how long that might take.

Many scientists back human embryo cloning to obtain stem cells that can be used to reproduce damaged tissues or organs. Stem cells are the building blocks from which all organs are formed.

Britain and South Korea allow therapeutic cloning, but the United States prohibits any kind of embryo cloning and has lobbied strongly against it.

Earlier this month, France's parliament gave final approval to a law that approves stem cell research on human embryos, but only for a limited test period.

Japan banned the cloning of humans in 2001.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&ncid=753&e=10&u=/ap/20040723/ap_on_sc/japan_cloning

What's so bad about cloning anyways? What do people have against it? Who do you think the Japanese are going to clone first? If anybody would make a clone army, it would have to be the Japanese.

Ronin
27th July 04, 12:31 PM
Cloning is crap, HOLOGRAMS, that is what I want !!
I wanna a holodeck so I can beat the living crap out of someone and NOT go to jail, can't do THAT with a clone.

MaverickZ
27th July 04, 12:32 PM
i think they've already perfected cloning, though through brainwashing rather than biology

MaverickZ
27th July 04, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ronin69
I wanna a holodeck so I can beat the living crap out of someone and NO go to jail, can't do THAT with a clone.

now, we all know that that's not what you'd be doing in there....

Te No Kage!
27th July 04, 12:36 PM
I wanna a holodeck so I can beat the living crap out of someone and NOT go to jail, can't do THAT with a clone.

OOOHHHHH Counselor Troi! You bad girl!

Matsufubu
28th July 04, 05:25 AM
Counsellor Troi is in her forties by now...

They should clone a red-hot babe, so all of us could have one.

Te No Kage!
28th July 04, 07:33 AM
They can clone me a Sophia Loren in her prime.

Stick
28th July 04, 07:49 AM
.... I guess the temptation to have the "who should we clone" discussion overroad the part in the article I'm sure you all noticed, ya know:

Japan's top science council voted Friday to adopt policy recommendations that would permit the limited cloning of human embryos for scientific research

I don't know about you, but to me that doesn't say "we are going to clone Hideyoshi and continue where he left off".

For the record, I'd clone myself and with-hold the Y-chromosome, just see what female me would look like.

Te No Kage!
28th July 04, 08:53 AM
Dai, just have a daughter, believe me, it's close enough. Actually, being a scientist I am a big proponent of stem cell research and cloning of embryos. It's all the scifi voodoo talk of the ignorant that really slows down progress. But then again, I think they should also be able to do nervous system (brain) research on chimps too. That would put us one step closer to getting you new eyes Dai.

Raven
28th July 04, 09:48 AM

DAMN STRAIGHT!

Unless clones are sub citizens, without any/or full rights. Then it's lock and load! :)

Ronin
28th July 04, 10:09 AM
If they could clone an adult and the clone would be an adult ( ala 6th day), I would clone myself and then bitch slap myself, just to see what I would do.

PizDoff
28th July 04, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Te No Kage!
If anybody would make a clone army, it would have to be the Japanese. [/B]

You mean Germans.