PDA

View Full Version : Terroristic bombing ok'd long ago (or chickens coming home to roost).

patfromlogan
21st July 04, 11:44 AM
this is mostly a paste. I found that the adoption of terroristic techniques quite interesting. I hadn't thought it out that this was a policy taken by the US in WW2. 9/11 is just the first time it was used on us.

In 1941, US armed forces followed the doctrine that the ultimate objective of all military operations is the destruction of the enemy’s armed forces in battle.

By 1949, this statement had grown by five words:

The ultimate objective of all military operations is the destruction of the enemy’s armed forces in battle and his will to fight.

At some point between 1941 and 1949, the doctrine was changed to sanction attacks on civilians - what had been labelled 'strategic' warfare. Hollywood's fantasies still haven't caught up with the change.

On September 7th, 1940,a German bomber unloaded its weapons over a civilian area in London. The British retaliated with an almost totally ineffective raid on Berlin, and the slope that led downwards to the firestorms of Hamburg and Dresden had been well and truly greased.

Behind the protection of two oceans, the US was not totally asleep. In May, 1940 the Army had issued a contract to Boeing to develop the XB-29 prototype. Four years later the most expensive weapons system yet developed - the B-29 cost $3,000,000,000 while the atomic bomb programme cost $2,000,000,000 - was a failure. On June 14th, 1944, 92 B-29s of the 20th Air Force were sent to attack the Imperial Iron and Steel Works at Yawata: one bomb fell on the target. The aircraft were designed to fly at and deliver 'precision' attacks from great altitude - 20,000 to 30,000 feet. That alone posed huge engineering problems, but in addition no-one had checked what happened at those altitudes, and the first B-29 raids discovered the jet stream - winds of over 200 miles per hour that made 'precision' impossible. On January 20th, 1945 General Hansell - who had set up the XXI Bombardment Command in the Marianas - was replaced by General Le May.

Over a year earlier in a major raid on Hamburg, RAF Bomber Command had stumbled on the firestorm as a weapon. General Le May adopted the same tactics, although where the British had used phosphorous bombs, he chose to use napalm. On the night of March 9th, 1945 302 B-29s set off to attack 'light industrial targets' in Tokyo - 279 got there and dropped some 50,000 napalm cluster bombs on an area of ten miles: 50,000 bombs on an area half the size of Manhattan - something like 50 bombs on each city block.

Saotome Katsumoto

The raid that night was completely different from anything we’d experienced before. It started around midnight. The huge majority of bombs were incendiaries. The bombers flew in really low, around 2,000 metres - five thousand feet - and were aiming by sight. We had some experience of air raids, but not like this.

We’d been told that we should stay where we were and fight the fires, that we could put them out, but it turned out to be nothing more than a trap. That night there was a strong, northerly wind blowing, up to 50 miles an hour and it got the fires going, made them burn more intensely. It was the wind that helped create the terrible firestorm.

More than a million people were 'de-housed'.

We don’t know how many were injured, somewhere between fifty and a hundred and fifty thousand, and a hundred thousand were killed, mostly as it happens old people, women and young children. The Police Department counted 88,793 dead bodies but there were thousands more missing, so the estimate of a hundred thousand deaths is no exaggeration and there were probably a lot more.

Kiyoko Kawasaki

The prostitutes who hung out by the riverbank jumped into a nearby pond, but the pond was boiling so they all died.

Obata Masatake

There were some old women wearing those thick quilted coats with padded hoods, but they were getting so hot they pushed them back without thinking. It was fatal. It was so hot their hair just burst into flames, just like that and there was nothing I could do to help. It was so hot I couldn’t breathe.

Chester Marshall

You know, you didn’t know whether you were killing a lot of women and children or what. But I do know one thing, you could at 5,000 feet you could smell the flesh burning. I couldn’t eat anything for two or three days. You know it was nauseating, really. We just said 'What is that I smell?' And it’s a kind of a sweet smell, and somebody said, 'Well that’s flesh burning, had to be.'

Probably more persons lost their lives by fire at Tokyo in a six-hour period than at any time in the history of man.

Behind the protection of two oceans, the US population missed one of the essential experiences of modern war - that of having rival armies looting, pillaging and raping to and fro through their towns while air forces pile the rubble ever higher.

The casualty figures for WWII :

Deaths Military Civilian
Soviet Union 6,000,000 15,000,000
China 2,000,000 6,000,000
Poland 850,000 6,000,000
Germany 3,250,000 4,000,000
Japan 2,000,000 500,000
France 250,000 450,000

US 400,000 0

Now several thousand were killed in 9/11. At that rate it would take about 800 9/11s to equal the loss France had in WW2 of it's civilian population.

I thought that this was interesting. The rest of the article is about Iraq.

http://iwillnotgoquietly.manilasites.com/stories/storyReader$165

TheManchu
21st July 04, 12:50 PM
In Nicaragua, we directed the contras to destroy public works and infrastructure, i.e. water, power, etc.

WingChun Lawyer
21st July 04, 01:05 PM
New technologies, old tactics, and not tactics exclusive to the first world. When Brazil went to war against Paraguay, brazilian soldiers used to thrown cholera-infested corpses into rivers which fed paraguayan cities - and, as I recall, practically all the paraguayan adult male population died during that war.

Freddy
21st July 04, 02:36 PM
You know I never heard Brazil went to war with Paraguay until now. I got to read more.

ICY
22nd July 04, 05:21 AM
9/11 really was a drop in the bucket when it comes to civilian deaths caused by terrorist or military assault or more importantly sanctions in the last 5 years, and there have been no major wars. What's really weird is that America as a country seems to think 9/11 is the worst thing that ever happened...but American casualties have always been considered catastrophic, no matter if it's one person, or a thousand. But America is responsible for millions of deaths in the last 100 years, and usually seems to the rest of the world very callous and cold hearted about it. The reason for this is probably that the USA hasn't had an enemy on its borders since mabye the Spanish-American War...and even that wasn't a land border. The US hasn't been invaded in almost 200 years.

In most countries, life is cheap, so is death. So outside America, and especially outside the first world, people have little to no sympathy for America when 3000 lives are lost.