PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Transfers Sovereignty to Iraqi Government



Bolverk
28th June 04, 01:51 PM
Well, it seems that we are two days ahead of schedule on the road to a new Iraq. I find this interesting. I am sure that our troops will be there for awhile longer, but at least we are now on the road to creating a free Iraq which governs itself.

I am sure many of you have some iteresting opinions on this transfer, which was obviously done to subvert a major terroist attack on June 30. I thought it was a smart move. Kind of leaves any response on the day of transfer deflated. It will still be a long, tough road ahead, but, at least the first steps have been taken.

Raven
28th June 04, 01:53 PM
link?

Bolverk
28th June 04, 01:55 PM
It is an AP story, you should be able to find it on any news site today.

Ronin
28th June 04, 02:05 PM
Window dressing.

Raven
28th June 04, 02:09 PM
Sounds about right Ronin.

Bolverk
28th June 04, 02:12 PM
You dismiss it so quickly Ronin69. I think only time will tell us if it was a smart move. As far as I am concerned, it was a smart strategy.

Raven
28th June 04, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Bolverk
You dismiss it so quickly Ronin69. I think only time will tell us if it was a smart move. As far as I am concerned, it was a smart strategy.

I'm just worried it's going to be a puppet gov, or it will just degenerate into chaos, as the people choose which system of government they want.

Bolverk
28th June 04, 02:14 PM
That is possible Shadowofravenwolf, but we should at least be patient and give them a chance.

Ronin
28th June 04, 02:16 PM
The history of the middle east has taught us what ?

CaptShady
28th June 04, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Shadowofravenwolf
I'm just worried it's going to be a puppet gov, or it will just degenerate into chaos, as the people choose which system of government they want.

YEP! And decades of civil war result to "choose" it.

Raven
28th June 04, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by CaptShady
YEP! And decades of civil war result to "choose" it.

Not saying it's better that way, but I dunno if the Iraqi people are ready for democracy, or if most will accept it being "forced" on them.

CaptShady
28th June 04, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Shadowofravenwolf
Not saying it's better that way, but I dunno if the Iraqi people are ready for democracy, or if most will accept it being "forced" on them.

Agreed. Just like all the civil war that broke out in the individual countries that previously were a part of the USSR. Heavy rule kept them from killing each other in the first place, and once that rule (regime) was changed, they started killing each other.

Ronin
28th June 04, 02:22 PM
And THAT is what the history of the middle east has taught us.

Raven
28th June 04, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by CaptShady
Agreed. Just like all the civil war that broke out in the individual countries that previously were a part of the USSR. Heavy rule kept them from killing each other in the first place, and once that rule (regime) was changed, they started killing each other.

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but most counrties appear to be born in blood.

Dralion
28th June 04, 10:18 PM
I'm sure that there's some interesting comments on this on CommonDreams (http://www.commondreams.org).