PDA

View Full Version : Iran massing troops on Iraq border

CaptShady
15th June 04, 04:20 PM
Beirut, Lebanon, Jun. 15 (UPI) -- Iran reportedly is readying troops to move into Iraq if U.S. troops pull out, leaving a security vacuum.

The Saudi daily Al-Sharq al-Awsat, monitored in Beirut, reports Iran has massed four battalions at the border.

Al-Sharq al-Awsat quoted "reliable Iraqi sources" as saying, "Iran moved part of its regular military forces towards the Iraqi border in the southern sector at a time its military intelligence agents were operating inside Iraqi territory."

Undoubtedly this will inevitably cause a string of "those poor, poor Iranians" threads when we blow those fuckers up.

OR .. it'll cause a string of "evil empire" (U.S.) threads when we leave the Iraqis to defend themselves against the Iranians.

PeedeeShaolin
15th June 04, 04:27 PM
If this is true then the U.S. military just got a hard on.

The U.S. wants ANY reason to fukk with Iran now that theres really nobody left kill in Iraq and nothing left to take.

Osiris
15th June 04, 04:28 PM
I dont think Iran is stupid. They know the US is delivering beatdowns and they DONT want it.

CaptShady
15th June 04, 04:30 PM
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040615-055649-4707r.htm

Dochter
15th June 04, 04:33 PM
Where is there any indication that the US is going to be pulling troops anytime soon?

I haven't seen the news in a few days but as far as I know my brother is still supposed to be heading over there.

If all US forces did indeed pull out tomorrow, sure as hell someone would have to move in, Iran wouldn't be my pick. Particularly after the recent defeat of reformists/moderates in elections.

And who the hell listens to the Saudis anymore?

kismasher
15th June 04, 04:34 PM
if they want to attack us, or invade iraq then fukk 'em.

what has that got to do with anything?

Dochter
15th June 04, 04:36 PM
Remember if you disagree with any actions of the government you automatically hate all its actions and think that military force is always reprehensible.

Duh.

Samuel Browning
15th June 04, 10:05 PM
This would be incrediably stupid of Iran. If they bide their time and wait a year and a half, they will probably have behind the scenes control of southern Iraq. So what do you do, now that George W. Bush doesn't have the political capitol to invade Iran? Simple, you start doing things so stupid it may win G.W. the domestic political support necessary to bomb the bleep out of Iranian territory because they can't defer their actions. If they do anything too stupid we will have to react and screw 'em but they are being unusually boneheaded for a change.

Hawkeye
15th June 04, 11:19 PM
Four battalions? Fucking weak.

ClintEQ
16th June 04, 02:50 AM
Considering they fed the US much of the "intelligence" that made our invasion of Iraq a reality, I'm surprised by their lack of sublety in this situatuon.

Halogen
16th June 04, 05:00 AM
Are there any other sources for this story? I'm getting zip on BBC and CNN, not that I doubt the Saudi Daily's "reliable iraqi sources" :rolleyes: or anything.

PizDoff
16th June 04, 08:31 AM
The first time I saw this headline on the various news sites I visit I read "Iran Missing Troops At the Iraqi Border." I was like, ok........? then read something else.

I saw the article previously on CNN, but now it looks like it is gone now?
WTH?

CNN has deleted its articles before though...

CaptShady
16th June 04, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by PizDoff
The first time I saw this headline on the various news sites I visit I read "Iran Missing Troops At the Iraqi Border." I was like, ok........? then read something else.

I saw the article previously on CNN, but now it looks like it is gone now?
WTH?

CNN has deleted its articles before though...

Although we're totally on a different plane with politics (e.g. partisan), your attempts to at least be fair about things is admirable.

Ronin
16th June 04, 09:03 AM
What, an Arab country planning to take advantage of a situation created by the US ???
Well, there's a shock.

PizDoff
16th June 04, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by CaptShady
Although we're totally on a different plane with politics (e.g. partisan), your attempts to at least be fair about things is admirable.

You're talking to me?

I'm always "fair" about things but.....
I have a stance on politics?

LOVED2BLOVED
17th June 04, 10:32 AM
lets not forget that iran has 'something to hide'...

fragbot
17th June 04, 06:53 PM
First off, the Iranians have denied that they've done this (FWIW, I see no reason for disbelief since it'd be difficult to hide at this point).

Finally, 4 battalions ain't all that big guys. It's certainly not large enough to provide security for someplace as large as iraq. Hell, I doubt it's even
large enough to secure various petroleum installations.

If it's true, it's more likely prudence than anything else. Either that or they're having trouble with things like smuggling.

Another part of the original story talked about Iranian intelligence agents working in Iraq. Well, duh! They've probably been
there in earnest for almost 20 years. Now, the interesting question is "what are they doing now?"

I think some interesting questions can be asked:

1) did Iran game much of the intelligence we had?
2) if so, to what end?

My answer to #1: it appears probable.

My answer to #2: On an emotional level, I think they were getting some payback for the earlier Iran-Iraq war. Practically, they
benefit by having a stable country next door run by someone other than someone who was infatuated with Stalin. While we and
the British had to fly the friendly skies over the North and South for a decade, the Iranians have been on-guard against the
Iraqis for quite awhile. Now, do I think they are attempting to unify with the Shiites in southern Iraq with Iran (or something like that)? Nah, differences in language and ethnicity make this seem unlikely.