PDA

View Full Version : Election reforms

Ronin
2nd June 04, 08:18 AM
Election/Campaign Reforms

With elections coming up here and in the States, I have a few ideas.
Lets throw them at the wall and see if they stick.

First, I think that, before ANY election is called, an independent auditor has to go through the books and state the deficit/surplus that the government will be working under.
Second, based on that information, the candidates will be able to “make promises” that are realistic.
Third, ALL candidates and their respective parties will be held accountable for ALL their campaign promises.
Fourth, ANY political candidate/party that promises to scrap a tax and doesn’t will be shot !!, ok, a referendum will be called and said political party MAY be voted out of office.
Fifth, campaigns will NO longer be financed by ANY special interest group/individuals.
A fund will be set up for EXISTING available tax funds.
All campaign funds will be available to any qualifying party, and will be of EQUAL value for ALL.
Sixth, Air time on radio and television will be free and of equal time for all qualified parties/candidates.
Seventh, ALL political parties/candidates will be held libel for all promises and comments made during the campaign.
Eighth, dishonesty will be punishable by castration and/or having to hear Kenny J.

Anything you care to add ??

Leodom
2nd June 04, 09:39 AM
I have an idea that might help. All candidates will be paid for ONE TERM ONLY. They can seek re-election as often as they wish but the pay stops after 1 term.

Ronin
2nd June 04, 09:41 AM
Or pay them on commission, the better tha country is doing, the more they make.

Dochter
2nd June 04, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ronin69

First, I think that, before ANY election is called, an independent auditor has to go through the books and state the deficit/surplus that the government will be working under.
Second, based on that information, the candidates will be able to “make promises” that are realistic.
Third, ALL candidates and their respective parties will be held accountable for ALL their campaign promises.
Fourth, ANY political candidate/party that promises to scrap a tax and doesn’t will be shot !!, ok, a referendum will be called and said political party MAY be voted out of office.
Fifth, campaigns will NO longer be financed by ANY special interest group/individuals.
All campaign funds will be available to any qualifying party, and will be of EQUAL value for ALL.
Sixth, Air time on radio and television will be free and of equal time for all qualified parties/candidates.
Seventh, ALL political parties/candidates will be held libel for all promises and comments made during the campaign.
Eighth, dishonesty will be punishable by castration and/or having to hear Kenny J.

One and two, taketoo long and would no longer be relevant once someone was elected. Three, sure but what about promises getting vetoed or shot down by a legislature? Four, actually agree with this, proposing to cut taxes is inherently silly before you're in office. Fifth, in the us once you've accepted a major party nomination you are eligible for this exact thing, the lead up and campaigning on your behalf is where things get fishy. Sixth, already basically occurs, though not for things like advertising. Seven, tyranny of majority yaddayaddayadda.

Eight, who has lied in the last decade?

Actually I like Leodom's idea, though since in our case both candidates for pres are independently wealthy I don't think it really matters.

Ronin
2nd June 04, 10:51 AM
Any suggestions Doch ?
Here we have way to many making promises to do this n that, and as soon as they get in, NADA, and the usual crap is that, "the books were worse than we thought, so we can do this and have to raise taxes", or they just say, nope, not gonna do it.
Where is the acountability ?

Dochter
2nd June 04, 11:04 AM
ICBM's

I think for all the problems the reality is that what we've got (most western countries) works far better than anything else going. It is a simple fact that the more wealthy minority will end up in power, that's true anywhere. At least here we can oust them other than with violence. And no there is no simple answer for taking resolving things. How do you deal with groups like moveon.org and the multi-armed christian groups? Restricting their speach is inherently wrong.

punchingdummy
2nd June 04, 11:15 AM
Yes. Surnames can never be repeated. There was already one Clinton, so there can never be another (even if she changes her name). Bushies...no more. Kennedy's..no way.

Ronin
2nd June 04, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by punchingdummy
Yes. Surnames can never be repeated. There was already one Clinton, so there can never be another (even if she changes her name). Bushies...no more. Kennedy's..no way.

WTF ??

Jenfucius
2nd June 04, 11:39 AM
policies that were appropriate during your candidacy may not be appropriate later on if circumstances change. locking into a set pattern is foolish.

punchingdummy
2nd June 04, 12:03 PM
WTF ??

You're Canadian. You just don't understand the pain we Americans feel with the prospect of another Clinton, Bush or Kennedy in the White House.

DJeter1234
2nd June 04, 12:09 PM
yeah, that FDR was a bastard.

Ronin
2nd June 04, 12:12 PM
I didn't realise you had it so bad with Billy Boy...
Actually, I recall that the American economy and quality of life was rated at its highest...

punchingdummy
2nd June 04, 12:22 PM
I didn't realise you had it so bad with Billy Boy...
Actually, I recall that the American economy and quality of life was rated at its highest...

In terms of economy, Billy Boy managed a fortuitious situation pretty well (convergence of a technological revolution, Y2K investment environment, lack of MAJOR conflict, etc.) The economic prosperity had much less to do with his policies than the average joe thinks. Bubba was also divisive...although not nearly as so as his lovely bride. She is the one many Americans fear will pursue higher office.

Freddy
2nd June 04, 04:04 PM

You got the election fever huh?:D

Deadpan Scientist
2nd June 04, 05:36 PM
I can't wait for the NAMBLA Candidate to get as much free airtime as the Democratic candidate. Should make for interesting tv