PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Thread

deus ex machina
26th May 04, 06:47 AM
So yeah, who likes cooking around here?

My attempts at cooking so far...

Steak with creamy mushroom sauce and garlic roasted potatoes
- Wasn't too bad, still need to learn how to figure out when a steak is done.
- Sauce could've been a little less creamy (read: thick).

Buttermilk biscuits with white sausage gravy
- Complete catastrophe. Burned the biscuits and for some reason the gravy was sweet, as in sugar sweet. WTF?

Anyway, tomorrow I plan on trying to make sloppy joes with potato salad.

And yeah, I made everything from scratch so far.

Any recipes for a beginning cook? Any funny stories about cooking?

Ka-Bar
26th May 04, 07:13 AM
I cook for myself and for the ladies. And because eating out is so damn expensive. And because "Supersize Me" made me think twice about eating anything processed ever again.

Lady Vic
26th May 04, 07:29 AM
I make an excellent Salsa Pomidors Basilico, Orange Ginger Chicken, another kind of Oriental grilled chicken, and herb encrusted lamb.

All my marinades are from scratch, I also make a pretty good Caeser dressing.

deus ex machina
26th May 04, 07:35 AM
I have to learn how to make a good marinade from my mom. Actually, I have to learn how to cook all sorts of things from my mom. But yeah, nothing beats Korean BBQ. BWAHAHAHAHHAHA!

PizDoff
26th May 04, 07:50 AM
I can cook for myself, like simple dishes that have the nutrition I desire, but fancier dishes I'm no good at.

I'm looking to be good at some chicken breast dinner filet type thing with mushrooms, and some "higher" class seafood ones to impress the gentlemen, I mean...ladies.

Te No Kage!
26th May 04, 08:01 AM
I taught myself how to cook in college. After making Taq polymerase, I knew that there wasn't anything I couldn't cookbook in the kitchen. The ladies loved it. Anyways I can make anything. Probably my family's favorite is for me to make gumbo. I like hot food so that's what I generally cook. If your trying marinades, experiment with different blends and spices.... try lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, worceshester, teriaki. You can't go wrong with minced garlic and ginger. It depends on what kind of flavor you're going for. Sometimes I will pierce meat to marinade it, sometimes I will let it marinade over night in the fridge depending on what it is.

Ronin
26th May 04, 08:28 AM
Mine:
A succulent seafood pasta in whie wine sauce
A melt in your mouth veal scallopini dish
A serious steak n shrimp bar-b-que.

SamHarber
26th May 04, 09:22 AM
I do a good chicken curry and a very nice spicey egg and pork fried rice (see recipe below)

To serve 4.

Basmati Rice
Sunflower oil
Butter
4 eggs
1 Mattesons pork sausage
2 Pepperami sausages
1 Pimento sweet pepper
3 kenyan chillies (moderately hot) (2 green, 1 red)
Very Lazy Garlic
Very Lazy Ginger
Chinese 5 Spice
Soy Sauce
3 Bottles of Crocodile Rock White Wine (possibly a chablis?)

Instructions
Boil the rice (lots of it) for about 8 minutes and then drain
While its drying out, beat the 4 eggs in a bowl. Heat up some butter in a frying pan then fry the eggs. The end result is scambled eggs. If you can't manage that, theres no hope for you.
Chop up the sausages finely, same with the Pimento pepper and chillies

Heat up some oil in a wok, then throw in the rice. Stir fry it for about 3 minutes then throw in all the other ingerdients.
Add generous amounts of ginger, garlic and 5 spice. Add soy sauce to taste.
Stir fry for another minute, then serve.
Eat food and drink wine.

Onecardshort
26th May 04, 09:34 AM
Very easy recipe for beginning cook - tuna steak + rosemary + garlic wedges.

Wedges - (2-3 potatoes per person) cut potatoes into wedges about 1cm at base, mix in a bowl with olive oil (about a tble spoon), rosemary, 1 garlic clove, salt + black pepper - cook in oven at about gas mk 6 for 45 mins.

Tuna: 1 steak/person - grill for about 3-5 mins each side, again small amount of olive oil + pepper (no salt, dries out fish).

Serve with some sour cream + a side salad (rocket or watercress are both good with this)

Funny story? Lack of cooking facilities led to use of lab's micro-wave generator turned down low as possible to heat pizza - pizza explodes, "student-proof" microwave generator catches fire a little bit and hasty cleaning throughout the night followed by puzzled expression next day needed.

Nihilanthic
26th May 04, 09:49 AM
Everyone REALLY has to figure out how to not overcook everything. Everyone does it these days.

Especially seafood, ugh... if you cook tuna past rare you should just get another fish or eat it out of a damn can. Its better raw but just seared on the outside anyway.

As far as 'meat' goes, get a probe thermometer. Unless you're a pussy you shouldn't be cooking it past medium rare. Exceptions would be ground sausage and poultry... 150~ F is where I do it.

And for gods sake don't turn your pasta and vegetables into mush. Ugh, the 1950s ruined food in this country.

SlimJim
26th May 04, 10:08 AM
It's the general consensus in my family that I rock on the grill, even with steaks, which can be a bitch if you don't pay attention to how thick they are.

Depending on thickness:
3 -5 minutes on one side followed by turning over for-
3 -5 minutes for rare
5 - 8 minutes for medium
8 - 12 minutes for well done

I learned those guidlines and they provide consistent results. Tweak a little for your grill, etc.

On the stove, Chicken Vesuvio and Chicken Cacciatore are my best. I use pink and red wines respectively in those and make it a point to use good wine. Primarily because I am also drinking it as I am cooking.

tkdan28
26th May 04, 10:23 AM
I love to cook. I've been doing since I was a little kid. My wife is from Taiwan so American breakfast is usually up to me.

One our favorite things to do is to invite newly arrived Chinese folk over to the house for Thanksgiving dinner. They are typically students who don't really have anywhere to go over the holidays. I'll do the whole dinner: roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, deviled eggs, gravy from the drippings.... typically the only turkey they've ever had is dried out dorm crap. Watching them eat some good turkey is a delight.

Kein Haar
26th May 04, 10:57 AM
Mashed potatoes.

Small red ones. Leave the peels. Beat the cooked potatoes with sour cream instead of milk. Add a dump-truck of fresh garlic. I like to add green onions, and a bit of minced jalapeno too. Then put into an oven safe dish and bake it with some cheese on top. Hey-ll yeah.

Stuffed Tomatoes.

Scoop out the gore from some tomatoes, and use that for the medium in which to boil some brown rice (prolly have to add some water).
Brown some lamb, your choice of seasoning (I like a greek ambiance including some mint) mix it with the cooked rice, transfer back to the tomatoes. Give the tomato shells a sound brushing with olive boil, then bake until the tomatoes are soft. Be sure to save the tops of the decapitated tomatoes to save as little hats.

Three layer omellette

Basically 3 seperate omelletes, but ya don't fold 'em in half. You stack them.

One layer tomato/spinach/basil/other compatible plant matter. Don't skimp on the spinach either, that stuff shrinks like hell when cooked.

One layer cheeses of your choice (feta rocks)

One layer meats (ham or whatever)

Cook them one at a time, but not totally well done. Stack them like a layer cake, bake until firm.

And if you've never had a good steak with blue cheese browned on top...you haven't lived.

Ippatsu182
26th May 04, 11:12 AM
I can make okonomiyaki (Japanese style pancakes), lasagne, and different types of pasta. I'm not one for cooking. I CAN cook, but I choose not to. I'd rather go out and eat, because it's more convenient.

tkdan28
26th May 04, 12:29 PM
An old girl friend turned me on to omellettes with Philidelphia cream cheese... sounds gross but is really pretty awesome.

Dibble
26th May 04, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Nihilanthic

Especially seafood, ugh... if you cook tuna past rare you should just get another fish or eat it out of a damn can. Its better raw but just seared on the outside anyway.

Just make sure you get sashimi grade tuna. I went to one of those fancy chain restaurants and asked if the 'seared' tuna was sashimi grade and the server "wasn't sure". Nixed that option right away.

Noodlepower
26th May 04, 03:14 PM
here's a good steak marinade i've been using for the barbie

half cup beer
half cup soy sauce
quarter cup maple syrup
1 tbs grated ginger
4 cloves of garlic diced
tabasco sauce (as desired)
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp sesame oil
black pepper

poke holes in steak...leave about an hour or 2 to over night...

Te No Kage!
26th May 04, 03:21 PM
noodlepower, that sounds good, I'm going to use that one

Ronin
26th May 04, 03:25 PM
Here is another:
Half a cup of beer ( drink the other half)
Half a cup of sake ( drink the other half)
Half a cub of rum ( drink the other half)
Half a cup of vodka ( drink the other half)
Half a bottle of gin ( drink the other half)
Did I mention beer ?
Ah hell, half a bottle ( hick up) of beeeerrr and *slured speeaccchh* drink the ober helf and ....

patfromlogan
26th May 04, 03:52 PM
Basic Chinese (Cantonese) goo:

In a frying pan put in chopped

garlic, first for a minute
then onion
ginger, powder or fresh
equal parts soy and oyster sauce (go to Asian market) usually about two Tablespoons each and a little wine (they say to use Chinese, but dry sherry works fine)
then whatever you want, meat, tofu, vegetables, noodles...

the important thing is to get the oyster sauce - there are no oysters in it.

Oh, to thicken tilt the pan so the juices are on one side and mix in a little corn starch and then reurn to heat the liquid. No need to get fancy.

Depending on what you are cooking, vary the recipe. Like last night I got the complaining jerks, known as my children to peal lots of garlic and skipped the ginger and soy and added 3/4 cup tvp and a head of cauliflower. It was a winner.

Get a used Fanny Farmer and Joy of Cooking off the internet.

Antagony
26th May 04, 04:16 PM
I make a mean bowl of Spaghettios.

Noodlepower's marinade sounds awesome. I'll have to try it out when I have enough money to buy beef.

Mr_Mantis
26th May 04, 04:34 PM
Here's a beginner's level recipe with inexpensive ingredients.

Beef Stroganoff

1lb ground beef
1 bag wide egg noodles
1 med size onion
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
some milk

cook the ground beef in a skillet, pour off the fat.
Boil noodles - 8 minutes usually does it, don't over cook them
Chop up onion very fine and sautee in butter or a little bit of oil to soften

Mix all ingredients together.
If you want you can add mushrooms, garlic, shredded cheese, whatever
You can also top it with cubed bread with butter, potato chips, mashed up cornflakes with butter, whatever.
Bake in oven 30 min at 350.
If you top it, fine, if you don't top it, cover with aluminum foil or it will dry out. Bon Appitie

Also: Here is a great thread http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6226

Gong Sau had the best one, I haven't tried it, I am still afraid:

Originally posted by gong sau
Make 2 grilled-cheese sandwiches to taste.
Grill 1 .25->.5 lb hamburger patty.
use grilled-cheese sandwiches as the bun.

I call it the "Bullshido Burger"

Greese
26th May 04, 04:59 PM
Chicken alfredo pizza- good and easy...
Cook chicken in a mixture of olive oil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, minced garlic.
Get the betty crocker crust mix slap that out.
Pour on some alfredo sauce and cheese, pop the chicken on and you are good to go.
Other than that and chicken marsala, I grill or nuke.

tkdan28
26th May 04, 08:35 PM
I've been cooking since I was a kid... one of my favorites back then was

can of tomato soup
some hamburger
italian spices like oregano or the bottled 'italian spice' stuff
hamburger buns
some cheese

don't dilute the soup, just mix it with the spices and hamburger... layer onto the hamburger buns, put cheese on top and broil (that means use the top element of the stove instead of the bottom). If you have a toaster oven it would be perfect. Inexpensive and quite tasty little pizzas.

blankslate
26th May 04, 08:59 PM
I have to cook for me and the kids.

I use the slow cooker a lot and the George Foreman Grill.

My kids enjoy spinach sauteed in garlic and soy sauce.

I plan on buying an Electric Wok soon.

I'll have to give you my recipe for Grits and Scrapple.

SunTzu
26th May 04, 09:19 PM
half cup beer
half cup soy sauce
quarter cup maple syrup
1 tbs grated ginger
4 cloves of garlic diced
tabasco sauce (as desired)
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp sesame oil
black pepper

I use a similar recipe for BBQing pork (the lady doesn't eat beef), minus the syrup and beer and it is awesome. Might be a bit salty for some though, I'll have to try adding the syrup.

deus ex machina
26th May 04, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by SunTzu
I use a similar recipe for BBQing pork (the lady doesn't eat beef), minus the syrup and beer and it is awesome. Might be a bit salty for some though, I'll have to try adding the syrup.

Why no beef?

SunTzu
26th May 04, 11:24 PM
She's Hindu. Although she tells me there's no actual prohibition against eating beef per se. It's more of a cultural thing at this point I think.

deus ex machina
26th May 04, 11:28 PM
....so she eats swine?

SunTzu
26th May 04, 11:34 PM
Hey, I didn't make up the damn rules. Actually she doesn't like to eat pork that much either, it's more of a southern thing, but it's what I use for social occasions when other crackers are about.

Xango
26th May 04, 11:57 PM
The perfect herb omelette...

Requires the perfect pan! Teflon does not belong in the kitchen. This beauty (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004WYJS/102-7108687-1248136) is what I have and does the job just fine, just fine...considering you will have it your entire life, get one if you like eggs. It is also perfect for curries/stir fries for two...

Take your eggs. If they are cold, warm them to at least room temperature: water hot from the tap will get them warm in about a minute. Crack into bowl, add chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme, marjoram, and chive are all favorites, shiso is also nice if you have some), fresh ground black pepper, a dash of Tabasco, and whisk until creamy (I use a fork). Then add some salt and stir in briefly; salt will prevent the egg from getting the right consistency unless added at the end.

Fire up skillet and butter lightly by running a cold stick of butter over the whole surface, on a medium flame. When water sprinkled on the pan hisses, but before the butter browns, pour on the egg mixture. With a fork, drag the edges towards the middle slightly (not enough to make a big mound), keeping the corners free, until half done (this takes judgement). Take handle, shake in a circle until egg is free, and flip over with a single smooth motion that'll make you think: "Yes, I am a badass egg-cookin fiend!" Allow to cook briefly on the other side then pour out onto plate, folding in half over itself as you go.

When perfectly done, no egg will cling to the pan, and it will be in perfect shape to toss off another omelette without even rebuttering. MMmmmmm nice. Serve with buttered toast and homefries...heavy on the onions, please.

Jolly_Roger
27th May 04, 12:37 AM
One word.
Fondue

GAB corp.
27th May 04, 01:31 AM
1 egg
mushroom soysauce
rice

Fry the egg sunny side up in a pan. Put egg on rice. Eat with mushroom soysauce to taste. (this is good for a quick breakfast)

Corn omlette:

mix some eggs and canned corn niblets in a bowl (add salt, pepper). Cook in a pan so it kind of looks like a pancake. Eat with rice and soysauce.

GAB corp.
27th May 04, 01:33 AM
Rice tip:

If you have left over rice that's a little bit on the dry side and you want to eat it. Put it in a bowl and add some hot water. Then put it in the microwave with a cover for about a minute and a half. The steam will soften up the rice and it will taste like it's just out of the rice cooker.

Rice tip #2:

get a rice cooker.

Sharlintier
27th May 04, 09:03 AM
very easy slow cooker recipe:

serves 6-8 (usually more)

3 cups instant rice
Raw thawed chicken or Turkey (Tuna works as well but will fill your house with the smell)
1 can cream soup (your choice, mushroom, chicken -whatever I usually use celery)
2 Tablespoons Soy sauce
1 Teaspoon ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 clove finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion (red preferable but white or yellow will do)
2 cans veggies of choice (I like to use mixed veggies)
2 cans of water

Layer in slow cooker in order listed (yes rice on bottom and water on top) cover and cook on low for 6+ hours (great to start before you leave for work and have ready when you walk in the door) the longer you let cook the more tender the meat becomes at about 10 hours it will actually start falling off the bone it will be so tender. If you let it cook until the meat is free from the bone then stir in the meat with the vegtables into the rice and fluff the rice a little before serving. Otherwise remove the meat and serve on a seperate plate and stir and fluff the rice and veggies. Soy sauce and seasoned salt to taste.

(actually haven't used this since college, now I actually cook everything from the basics but I thought I would leave it simple - though the only real difference is that instead of using canned veggies and soup you make your own cream soup and you chop your own veggies and leave out the water and make the soup the top layer instead of in the middle because the cream soup will not be "condensed")

kismasher
27th May 04, 09:20 AM
i love to cook, but it seems everything has lousiana hot sauce or tony c's on it

tony c's btw, is unbeatable. http://www.cajunspice.com/

Te No Kage!
27th May 04, 09:28 AM
yes it is

kismasher
27th May 04, 09:31 AM
how to feed yourself for a week:

big pot.
water, shot of veg. oil.
2 cups rice.
2-3 potatoes.
1-2 carrots.
1-2 celery stalks.
1 large onion.
crushed red pepper
trappey's peppers (very important to get Trappey's brand)
1 whole package cajun sausage
2 large boneless chicken breasts (slightly cooked in pan to reduce rawness)
either a jumbalaya seasoning kit, or add your own mix of spices

chop and add all veggies and spices, cook to boil, add meats after veggies begin to soften (go by feeling potatoes)

you will have to add water as the rice and potatoes will absorb most of it as they cook. add peppers to taste (i use 5-6 diced)

get creative and add shrimp or whatever, this will last you for days and it tastes better the longer it sets

kismasher
27th May 04, 09:45 AM
also, here is an awesome tip on grilling burgers that i picked up from a friend:

if you know you are going to grill burgers, make the patties the night before and then freeze them. they take a little longer to cook, but won't fall apart and you can handle them with ease.

Üser Friendly
31st May 15, 01:48 PM
The baby does a break fall