PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Bias and Terrorism

Shug
24th April 04, 09:51 AM
Ok, I'm a libertarian, I make this no secret. As a result, I get into alot of debates about the status of our government and their way of going about things.

Needless to say, I don't agree with the whole "War on terrorism" propaganda, or the money we waste using it as an excuse for war. But lately, I really am wondering about the hypocrisy of this supposed "War on Terrorism."

If you go to any country outside the US, this term is viewed in a completely different, and far more general light. Sure we're having a war on terrorism involving foreign nations and their own religious affiliation, but where do groups like the KKK and Christian Identity, a known militant group predjudiced completley against all ethnic cultures come in? They're downplayed to such a degree, its hard NOT to wonder where religious and ethnic Bias come in. Have people completely forgotten about people like Ted Kazinsky and Timothy McVeigh, or is it just frowned upon to focus on white groups of an obviously more common religious undertone? They are allowed to continue with their protests of Racism and acts of terror with little mention, while Isamic terror is highly emphasized. Wouldn't one think this is a sure sign of propaganda, as well as unseen, unthought cultural bias? If we're having a "War on terror" why are these people excluded?

Of course nobody thinks about it, but still the bias is there. How many people have ever walked into a conveniance stoor only to see a middleeastern man behind the desk, and immediately think "Apu?" I know quite a few, because I've seen people be that blatantly insulting more times then I can count... and in public!!!

I don't know, the sheer hypocrisy and blind eye turned on these particular groups leads me to wonder if these wars that are being waged and sugguested really aren't anything more then another biased "holy war."

I suppose people are only permitted basic right so long as they pledge their complete allegiance to national policy, have white skin, and go to church.

Phrost
24th April 04, 10:38 AM
KKK members are inept for the most part. And while I agree that Christian fundies are just as wacked out, they're not flying planes into buildings.

This is really a war against Fundamentialist, Extremist Islam.

I have no problem with this myself. The reality of the situation is that such people are not sane, do not have a rational world view, and there's little that can convince them of this. Better to speed them on their way to their '72 virgins' than to allow them to harm our loved ones.

Once people get past political sensitivities and accept this is the true nature of the war on terrorism, then direct action can be taken against those who spread this mind-filth. For example, the extremist Wahabis who are supported by the Saudi government to help mask the fact that their royal family is living it up American style.

Te No Kage!
24th April 04, 11:21 AM
I agree with Shug that I don't like racism of any sort, but in this case it seems the fundamentalists have brought the fight to us. If Al Qaeda and Bin Ladin had just minded their own business and left us alone, we probably wouldn't be in this right now. And really it should have started before 9/11 with the bombing of the USS Cole and the Marine barracks in Saudi Arabia. And what's he pissed about? Because we entered Saudi Arabia to help protect them from Iraq and Saddam Hussein? Fuckin' get over it, moron! These assholes have been askin' for it for a long time comin'. Another reason why people should keep their religion to themselves. If Islamic Fundamentalists don't like our democracy, then they shouldn't fuckin' come here! I don't go visit Saudi Arabia and fuckin' bitch about it. You know why? Because it's a fuckin' desert and their government is religiously oppresive!

Osiris
24th April 04, 11:36 AM
Last I checked US involvement in the region came long before the fundamentalists got worked up.

Phrost
24th April 04, 12:24 PM
If they should be pissed at anyone, it should be the Brittish. Check your history.

Greese
24th April 04, 12:44 PM
THe only reason it is a war on terror and not extreme Islam is that most americans are so limp wristed and wussy that they would whine about the name. Extreme Islam needs to be destroyed.
Realistically, the only way to solve the problem in the middle East is to bomb the fuck out of it and completely break the resistance like we did Germany in WW2. The difference is people weren't so concerned with civilian casulties, which is inevitable with bombings.

The Wastrel
24th April 04, 01:01 PM
Wiping out extremist Islam won't solve anything. The ideology grew out of a real context that persists. Read Ian Buruma and Avishai Margalit's "Occidentalism".

Te No Kage!
24th April 04, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by The Wastrel
Wiping out extremist Islam won't solve anything. The ideology grew out of a real context that persists. Read Ian Buruma and Avishai Margalit's "Occidentalism".

I don't have the time or energy, could you sum it up in sixty words or less?

Te No Kage!
24th April 04, 01:33 PM
And really, I don't advocate the extermination of extremist moslems, just those that are terrorists. I know plenty of extremists that just keep to themselves like they should.

Phrost
24th April 04, 06:15 PM
Won't happen. Extremism and respect for other world views are mutually exclusive.

Freddy
24th April 04, 09:01 PM
The main probelm with "Home Growns" terrorist is that they are difficult to detect. They could easily infiltrate the military and gain access to certain weopons.

The Wastrel
24th April 04, 09:49 PM
Te No Kage:

From Booklist
Four characterizations of the West contribute to the anti-Western stance Buruma and Margalit call Occidentalism and are used to justify attacking individual Westerners as less-than-human beings. The West prefers the sinful city to the virtuous countryside; the West destroys heroism and replaces it with trading; the West thinks only of matter and not of spirit; the West worships evil. Buruma and Margalit argue that the first two of those conceptions, typical of secular Occidentalism, are themselves Western, products of European romanticism that early-twentieth-century Japan and Germany exploited to their own ruin. The third idea informs Russia's long struggle with the West but stems from German romanticism, in particular, with its sense of the wounded national soul. The fourth, peculiar to religious Occidentalism, animates radical Islamism but derives from the good-evil polarities of Persian Manichaeism that the young Augustine embraced. Buruma and Margalit conclude that these ideas' lives are "a tale of cross-contamination" that cannot be ended by answering anti-Western intolerance with more intolerance. A timely tract, brilliantly though broadly argued. Ray Olson
Copyright American Library Association. All rights reserved

Te No Kage!
25th April 04, 08:37 AM
thanks Wastrel