PDA

View Full Version : Kerry's latest endorsement

CaptShady
9th March 04, 02:26 PM
I am sure pleased the NKs recognize a kindred spirit.

North Korea warms to Kerry presidency bid
By Andrew Ward in Seoul and James Harding in Washington

North Korea's state-controlled media are well known for reverential reporting about Kim Jong-il, the country's dictatorial leader.

But the Dear Leader is not the only one getting deferential treatment from the communist state's propaganda machine: John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic candidate, is also getting good play in Pyongyang.

In the past few weeks, speeches by the Massachusetts senator have been broadcast on Radio Pyongyang and reported in glowing terms by the Korea Central News Agency (KCNA), the official mouthpiece of Mr Kim's communist regime.

The apparent enthusiasm for Mr Kerry may reflect little more than a "better the devil you don't know" mentality among the North Korean apparatchiks. Rather than dealing with President George W. Bush and hawkish officials in his administration, Pyongyang seems to hope victory for the Democratic candidate on November 2 would lead to a softening in US policy towards the country's nuclear weapons programme.

But both Mr Kerry and Mr Bush are committed to North Korean disarmament. Mr Kerry, however, would renew bilateral negotiations between Washington and Pyongyang, while Mr Bush has sought to manage the conversation with North Korea through multilateral talks. Mr Kerry has also been more forthright about setting out the economic rewards for North Korea if it disarms.

The Bush administration appears in no hurry to tackle the North Korea issue before the election, aware that a US compromise with Pyongyang would represent an embarrassing climbdown, while confrontation would risk a bloody - and electorally disastrous - war.

If North Korea is hoping that a Democratic victory would herald a return to Bill Clinton's policy of engagement with Pyongyang, then Gordon Flake, head of the Mansfield Centre for Pacific Affairs in Washington, cautions Mr Kim against expecting too much from Mr Kerry. "It would be harder for a Democratic president to do a deal because there would be a lot of pressure on him not to be a soft touch," he says.

Either way, the North Korean media is a constituency Mr Kerry could do without. Second only to the warm words Mr Kerry has enjoyed from Jane Fonda, the actress and antiwar liberal who is still a bugbear of the American right, a signal of support from the Dear Leader will delight conservative talk-show hosts and Republicans eager to paint Mr Kerry as soft on national security.

A small group of Vietnam veterans has already branded Mr Kerry as "Hanoi John" - a reference to his antiwar activities in 1971 after he returned from serving in Vietnam.

Mr Kerry was first introduced to North Korea's information-starved people in early February, when Radio Pyongyang reported that opinion polls indicated he was likely to defeat Mr Bush.

A few days later, the station broadcast comments by Mr Kerry criticising Mr Bush for deceiving the world about Iraq's elusive weapons of mass destruction. Later in February, KCNA welcomed Mr Kerry's pledge to adopt a more "sincere attitude" towards North Korea if elected.

"Senator Kerry, who is seeking the presidential candidacy of the Democratic Party, sharply criticised President Bush, saying it was an ill-considered act to deny direct dialogue with North Korea," said the news agency.

Pyongyang's friendly attitude towards Mr Kerry contrasts with its strong anti-Bush rhetoric.

kismasher
9th March 04, 03:15 PM
i'm failing to see how this is a bad thing.

CaptShady
9th March 04, 03:23 PM
Umm, they're our enemy? They're communist, and seek to make the whole world communist? All under Kim Jong-il or his decendants rule?

kismasher
9th March 04, 03:26 PM
right, so how does that have anything to do with John Kerry?

CaptShady
9th March 04, 03:28 PM
Well if you don't know, I'm not gonna take the time to explain it to you.

kismasher
9th March 04, 03:39 PM
No, I thing you're trying to infer a relationship that is non-existent. Of course NK is going to favor Kerry over Bush. Remember that whole axis of evil speech?

and honestly, i am not afraid of a few million malnourished koreans on the other side of the world. communist, yes; enemy, maybe; evil, doubtful

i tend to think there are many shades of grey on this issue rather than finger pointing and calling someone evil

CaptShady
9th March 04, 03:44 PM
Well then it boils down to a matter of opinion about communism and it's intent with the U.S. So the facts speak for themselves to those who have a negative opinion towards being friendly with the enemy, who happens to own and develop nukes to fire AGAINST us, and a negative opinion towards communism, and it's global intent.

kismasher
9th March 04, 03:55 PM
NK will never launch nukes against us.

CaptShady
9th March 04, 03:58 PM
That's not what NK is saying.

kismasher
9th March 04, 04:06 PM
Yeah, but they're all evil lying communist dogs, you can't trust what they tell you.

Stick
9th March 04, 06:45 PM
Good one kismasher. Those communist masters of deception ^_^ what'll they think of next?

Pretty weak there Cpt. Not impressed.

punchingdummy
9th March 04, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by kismasher
Yeah, but they're all evil lying communist dogs, you can't trust what they tell you.

That is exactly the problem! "A few million malnourished koreans" in a desperate situation, nuclear weapons and a situation where you cannot trust anything they tell you...and have they been known to export military hardware?

Regardless of who is President, I'm concerned.

snuffles
9th March 04, 10:11 PM
we've got nuclear subs waiting in the seas around nk if they do anything, and they know that.

punchingdummy
10th March 04, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by snuffles
we've got nuclear subs waiting in the seas around nk if they do anything, and they know that.

A flawed defense when one party is in dire straits.

CaptShady
10th March 04, 09:03 AM

I know this was your sarcastic attempt at humor, but their agenda is WORLD DOMINANCE, so you can't trust them, and they are dogs.

kismasher
10th March 04, 09:25 AM
come on man, that's funny--i don't care who you are!

your post is laughable to me, not cause i don't respect your opinion, but the though of NK rising up from their postage stamp country to conquer the world is humorous.

i mean what if Rhode Island just got pissed at Africa and decided they were going to take over?

CaptShady
10th March 04, 10:10 AM
come on man, that's funny--i don't care who you are!

Yeah, but we're arguing, I can't acknowledge that.

your post is laughable to me, not cause i don't respect your opinion, but the though of NK rising up from their postage stamp country to conquer the world is humorous.

Japan came close before in a our not so recent past, didn't they? Italyl too.

It's like my old man used to say after I said "mother thucker" .. the intention is still there, and a communist sympather in white house is NOT a good thing.

kismasher
10th March 04, 10:24 AM
well, i don't think WWII is a valid comparison to the current state of the world for many reasons.
technology, current national sentiments regarding conflict, etc

the only disagreement i have with you is that i think you are trying establish some sort of casual relationship between Kerry being elected and communism rapidly spreading through Asia soon to engulf the world.

i think what we need IS communication and empathy in order to prevent war and terrorism, not blatant hostility and jr. high school fist shaking.

CaptShady
10th March 04, 10:28 AM
i think what we need IS communication and empathy in order to prevent war and terrorism, not blatant hostility and jr. high school fist shaking.

Fag! :D

kismasher
10th March 04, 10:35 AM
god damn it!!

Stick
10th March 04, 11:02 AM
Come on CptShady, you can lick it if you want. Tastes like strawberries.

Pathetic McArthiest.

Balloonknot
10th March 04, 03:30 PM
The problem with Bush and his cohorts is.... he thinks whoever isn't a god-fearin Christian should be overtaken and brought to their senses by our God-lovin troops and then we can make everyone a democracy. After all God could never love a communist or a gay person. Never mind a Chinese or a N Korean. It's totally laughable how ridiculous some of us Americans are. Although, I believe the US is the best place to live in the entire world, I'm starting to believe that the "axis of evil" starts with us!

How arrogant are we to suppose the rest of the world should behave as we do!

CaptShady
10th March 04, 03:50 PM
100% True IMO

And you couldn't possibly knwo what Kerry stands for, he hasn't been FOR anything consistantly, other than "winning the election"