PDA

View Full Version : A step away from Mechwarrior

MaverickZ
4th March 04, 11:50 AM
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/03/03_exo.shtml

i just thought this was really interesting. i wonder how long we have until an entire suit like that is made. and then what happens when someone connects the brain to a suit like it. people who can't walk would be able to walk again.

Shuma-Gorath
4th March 04, 11:53 AM
We'll be able to kick Sentinel ass too!

Osiris
4th March 04, 12:02 PM
GUNS

Stick
4th March 04, 12:19 PM
I fucking love exoskeleton tech!

I got dibs on elemental armor!

BOO-YA!

shironinja
4th March 04, 01:41 PM
Didn't the Japanese do this already back in 1980 or something?

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991072

MaverickZ
4th March 04, 03:54 PM
yes, they did.

Stick
22nd March 04, 10:14 AM
That Japanese one doesn't count, lame.

Besides check out the plated mock up ^_^

http://169.229.204.159/hel/CV/Ryan/R1-BLEEX-Web.jpg

Yeah, I know I'm dragging up an old and forgotten thread, but I just went to the berkley site again and just thought I'd post that pic, that's just freaking awesome ^_^

Once they nail the legs it shouldn't take much to at least build an armored frame around it to protect the users torso. Almost like a walking fox hole with an ass load of communication equip, sensors, and who knows what the hell else (automated medical system?). I think it will be a bit before they really nail the exoskeletal arms though.

Also, when you take into account the recent invention of self-repairing plastic, well, damn, this thing could be a one man force to be reckoned with.

Anywho, carry on.

Osiris
22nd March 04, 10:31 AM
" Almost like a walking fox hole with an ass load of communication equip, sensors, and who knows what the hell else (automated medical system?)."

GUNS

SLJ
22nd March 04, 10:40 AM
Now all they need is a cop to get blown away by a gang of nasty villians and they'll be all set.

WhiteShark
22nd March 04, 11:10 AM
This will never be a viable milatary system in the powered armor sense when you still have things like the M-1 Abrams which would kick this things asss! Mostly because as Osiris pointed out IT has GUNS! A big one that carries lots of ammo.

Stick
22nd March 04, 11:57 AM
In a jungle environemetn? Hell, in some urban environments?

Unlike a tank, you could get to roof tops, inside buildings, operate in close quarters. There are certain advantages. On an open field though, no a battlefield offshoot of this technology wouldn't stand toe to toe.

Kidnemo
22nd March 04, 01:11 PM
"Chung, chung, chung, magitek armor!"

deus ex machina
22nd March 04, 02:11 PM
MINI TAC NUKES!

Dochter
22nd March 04, 03:22 PM
Y'all need to realize that the importance of Starship Troopers was not the machanized suits but rather the exploration of political theory.

Stick
22nd March 04, 04:45 PM
Never read the Starship Troopers books; they are not an inffluence on my insatiable geekly lust for powered armor ^_^

Osiris
22nd March 04, 05:00 PM
Read it. The suits are just so badass. A man in one of those things is damn near invincible. Tanks can't even touch him. Insanely strong, guns magnetically holstered, controls operated by mouth and head movements, squad communications features, video displays, oh man. I could go on for a while. They even carry fucking nukes. Why some asshole decided to leave them from the movie, Ill never understand. Thats why theyre called the mobile infantry. Or maybe it was the drops. In the book they proved themselves by being launched out of spaceships and freefalling in their armor. In the movie they never even did that. What the fuck were they thinking?

Meteora
22nd March 04, 05:12 PM
In Starship troopers didn't they fight over sized bugs? Seems it would be very hard at all...

Osiris
22nd March 04, 05:29 PM
Yeh, they did fight bugs. In the book though, the bugs couldnt take them in hand to hand combat. The armor was too much for them and they'd get torn apart. They used some type of beam weapon or something to pierce the armor.

Freddy
22nd March 04, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by MaverickZ
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/03/03_exo.shtml

i just thought this was really interesting. i wonder how long we have until an entire suit like that is made. and then what happens when someone connects the brain to a suit like it. people who can't walk would be able to walk again.

You know they have been experimenting with exoskelotons since the 1960's. Nothing new about it. I beleive General Electric has a huge one that they built that can pick up crates and what not. :D